Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another school question - sorry

Another school question - sorry

Old May 1st 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Question Another school question - sorry

I am sorry if this has been posted before but all I need is a brief answer

are schools free - apart from the obvious private sector, your normal state school - i know there are fees to be paid - is this correct - for books and other costs. what are these costs and a rough guide to cost would be great. If you are a migrant on SIR visa do you have to pay/pay more.

cheers for any answers - BTW we are heading for Mandurah, WA
Old May 1st 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all
Default Re: Another school question - sorry

Originally Posted by DebraH
I am sorry if this has been posted before but all I need is a brief answer

are schools free - apart from the obvious private sector, your normal state school - i know there are fees to be paid - is this correct - for books and other costs. what are these costs and a rough guide to cost would be great. If you are a migrant on SIR visa do you have to pay/pay more.

cheers for any answers - BTW we are heading for Mandurah, WA
Hiya,

Not 100 % sure, but I've just asked my aussie husband, and he says that school is free if you are a citizen or permanent resident.
Hope this helps,
Tanya
Old May 1st 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
Hiya,

Not 100 % sure, but I've just asked my aussie husband, and he says that school is free if you are a citizen or permanent resident.
Hope this helps,
Tanya

thank you
Old May 1st 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Hi Debra,

Vodka oblivion... you sound like my kinda person

Not too sure about your question, when we visited a few schools in Rockingham I got the impression it would be about £60 a year for books, paper, pens, photocopying etc.

Hope thats of some help. When you planning on going? We are aiming for Sept 06, heading for Rockingham.

Maybe catch you for a few drinks?!!

Wren xx
Old May 1st 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wren
Hi Debra,

Not too sure about your question, when we visited a few schools in Rockingham I got the impression it would be about £60 a year for books, paper, pens, photocopying etc.

Hope thats of some help. When you planning on going? We are aiming for Sept 06, heading for Rockingham.

Wren xx
Thank yoiu, this is what we were originally told, but my OH had also heard that we had to pay - maybe the person who told him was actually referring to private education.
We are also aiming for sept 06 - mainly for the boys ending school term in july - have a long summer hol here and then head out - fingers crossed.
It would be great to meet up for some vodka - actually drinking jacobs creek tonight - bubbly!
Old May 1st 2006, 8:21 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wren
Hi Debra,

Wren xx
I have 2 sons who are 15 and 18 and are both at school. I had to pay approx $600 for the 2 of them and this was for school book hire (although you don`t get any money back) and subject levy`s. Depending on what subject they do the levy can be less or more expensive. You don`t have to pay this all in one go thankfully, you can just go in and pay a bit here and there, or at least you can at their school. I think the levy thing is just at secondary school but I`m not sure.

Hope this helps.

Tracey x
Old May 1st 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
I have 2 sons who are 15 and 18 and are both at school. I had to pay approx $600 for the 2 of them and this was for school book hire (although you don`t get any money back) and subject levy`s. Depending on what subject they do the levy can be less or more expensive. You don`t have to pay this all in one go thankfully, you can just go in and pay a bit here and there, or at least you can at their school. I think the levy thing is just at secondary school but I`m not sure.

Hope this helps.

Tracey x
thank you all answers appreciated
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:31 am

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

Well me being 17 and just about to go into school here in NSW I can tell you from my experience. Yes there are free schools just normal high schools but be weary of ones which are bad etc. We have 4 schools local to us, one a free selective grammar (this was the one we were aiming for but once we phoned we were told there was a waiting list and that they could only put me down for enrolment next year) one was in a very bad area and I was recommended not to go to it if I want to do well in school. And that left me with 2 options one high school which was free but didnt have the subjects that I totoally wanted and a private school... the only down point on the private school its nearly the cost of going to University $13,000 yes $13,000 so my advice is research throughly as now I am going to a school which costs $13,000 a year whereas I was getting free education back in UK.

hope this helps
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We pay about $900 a year for our three in books, stationery. There are also "voluntary" contributions too - which at our kid's school are notoriously avoided by Pommie migrants.