Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another school question

Another school question

Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

mickandtrace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another school question

My son leaves school next year - he will be 16 (born Jan '91) does he have to go to school when we get to Australia next September '07, or would he have finished like in the UK.

help
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another school question

Originally Posted by mickandtrace
My son leaves school next year - he will be 16 (born Jan '91) does he have to go to school when we get to Australia next September '07, or would he have finished like in the UK.

help
In Queensland they can leave at the end of year 10 at the moment but with no qualifications. I think most leave at the end of year 12 so although he will not have to go back to school it could be worth him doing so he can get his exams done. The alternative is that you can do the last couple of high school years at TAFE but I am not sure how it works
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

TIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mand8002
In Queensland they can leave at the end of year 10 at the moment but with no qualifications. I think most leave at the end of year 12 so although he will not have to go back to school it could be worth him doing so he can get his exams done. The alternative is that you can do the last couple of high school years at TAFE but I am not sure how it works

Could you tell me what year do they sit the exams
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TIFFIN SCOTT
Could you tell me what year do they sit the exams
year 12 here in Queensland
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

louisethepom will become famous soon enoughlouisethepom will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Another school question

Hi i'm not sure but if you go on this website and then email and ask your queations they may be able to help you as you leave school at around 18 here.
Louise
www.mesc.vic.edu.au/

help
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

louisethepom will become famous soon enoughlouisethepom will become famous soon enough

http://www.rsc.vic.edu.au/parents.htm
Try this website and i couldn't get into the other one.

help
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

help

Hi, Like Mand8002 said they can leave in Year 10 in Queensland but most leave in Year 12, however I have heard that may be changing next year so they nearly all leave in Year 12.

My son is exactly the same age (Jan 91) and he is in Year 10 at the moment in Brisbane. In Queensland the school year runs from Jan to Dec so he will be starting his senior years (11 and 12) in Jan 2007. Lots of the older kids love it here but wish they had gone through the school system so that they get to know lots of friends.

Other states are different.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:20 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

help
I`m pretty sure they can leave at 16. My eldest son was 17 when we arrived last Nov and was in his 2nd year at college in the UK but because he wasn`t sure what he wanted to do we all thought it would be a good idea for him to go into year 12 and make some friends in the area we live in, which he now has done. His 15 year old brother is in year 11. My eldest son is now 18 and thinking about looking for an apprenticeship but even if he doesn`t finish the year he has done what he set out to do and that is make friends and get a social life so he is quite happy.

Tracey and Mick (Hilton`s)

Last edited by Hilton`s; Apr 21st 2006 at 6:21 am. Reason: something to add
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

mickandtrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
I`m pretty sure they can leave at 16. My eldest son was 17 when we arrived last Nov and was in his 2nd year at college in the UK but because he wasn`t sure what he wanted to do we all thought it would be a good idea for him to go into year 12 and make some friends in the area we live in, which he now has done. His 15 year old brother is in year 11. My eldest son is now 18 and thinking about looking for an apprenticeship but even if he doesn`t finish the year he has done what he set out to do and that is make friends and get a social life so he is quite happy.

Tracey and Mick (Hilton`s)

Hi Hilton's

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in saying that when we arrive next September he could actually get 1 years education in year 12 as from the following January.
Hope that makes sense.
Tracey
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:37 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Hi Hilton's

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in saying that when we arrive next September he could actually get 1 years education in year 12 as from the following January.
Hope that makes sense.
Tracey
When we got here Tracey sept 03 my eldest girl was 15 years old she was half way through her GCSEs, big decision to pull her out as she was doing ok at the time. We are in Sydney so can only speak of what they do here, she went back into year 10 for a few weeks and got part of school certificate (she also had a great time attending the blumming big formal they have over here and made heaps of friends), then went on to do two years 11 and 12 getting her higher school certificate this year. She now goes to TAFE a college over here studying design.

The australians often put their children back a year if they feel they need to catch up with subjects it all seems to be less of a problem here and more geared to what the child/parent wants, from my experience anyway.

Marie
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:54 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Hi Hilton's

Hope that makes sense.
Tracey
Yes he could. My son started in Jan and he turned 18 on 1st Feb so although he was probably the oldest it was only by a few months and most of his new friends are turning 18 within the next few months.

Tracey x