Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another reason for going.....

Another reason for going.....

Old Oct 10th 2002, 6:58 pm
  #1  
We arrived november 2004
Thread Starter
 
kentcoast's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Meadows (Adelaide)
Posts: 408
kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another reason for going.....

I had to go to a meeting in Oxford today. 280 miles door to door from my village just outside of Dover and all bar 10 miles of it on motorway/trunk.

I spent just over 9 hours at the wheel of the car with no stops - an average of a tad over 31 miles per hour.

This is one hell of an overcrowded little island.

If I could go tomorrow........

Sorry, not much of value there for the forum but I feel better for getting it off my chest.

Now for an Indian takeaway and a beer or three!

Pip Pip

Perry
kentcoast is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2002, 7:36 pm
  #2  
Pat
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Victoria Aus,
Posts: 49
Pat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

It made me feel good. Booked the tickets today leaving 27th October, I hate the traffic in the South East- just glad to be leaving, Pat
Pat is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2002, 9:25 pm
  #3  
Rob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

In kentcoast wrote:

    > I spent just over 9 hours at the wheel of the car with no stops - an
    > average of a tad over 31 miles per hour.
    > This is one hell of an overcrowded little island.

Some organisation was this week calling for the government
to let the UK's population drop back down to 30 million.

Apparently, if current birth rates continue, it'll drop to ~30m
in a few decades, however many believe that national prosperity
relies on the current (~60m) or a larger population, so there may
soon be official attempts to encourage bigger families or
the 'importing' of immigrants to make up the numbers.
 
Old Oct 11th 2002, 1:47 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Grub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Mansion in Padbury
Posts: 804
Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

So there's a thought PB- come back to the land of breeding and misfits.

In kentcoast wrote:

    > I spent just over 9 hours at the wheel of the car with no stops - an
    > average of a tad over 31 miles per hour.
    > This is one hell of an overcrowded little island.

Some organisation was this week calling for the government
to let the UK's population drop back down to 30 million.

Apparently, if current birth rates continue, it'll drop to ~30m
in a few decades, however many believe that national prosperity
relies on the current (~60m) or a larger population, so there may
soon be official attempts to encourage bigger families or
the 'importing' of immigrants to make up the numbers.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Grub is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2002, 3:52 pm
  #5  
Heading for Adelaide ASAP
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 72
empyrean is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

Boy do I understand how you feel! I work 65 miles from my home so drive 130 every day - same boring journey incorporating M!/M25/M11. There's hardly a day goes by when there isn't an accident, I see so much lousy driving I've become one of those driving story bores. An average day is between 3 and 4 hours in the car with a full day's work somewhere in the middle.

Not only am I keen to leave the traffic but also the corporate politics.................(think I'll have an Indian as well tonight good idea
empyrean is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2002, 4:04 pm
  #6  
Julie Funnell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: Another reason for going.....

Originally posted by empyrean:
Boy do I understand how you feel! I work 65 miles from my home so drive 130 every day - same boring journey incorporating M!/M25/M11. There's hardly a day goes by when there isn't an accident, I see so much lousy driving I've become one of those driving story bores. An average day is between 3 and 4 hours in the car with a full day's work somewhere in the middle.

Not only am I keen to leave the traffic but also the corporate politics.................(think I'll have an Indian as well tonight good idea

Hi there, this is the first time I've e-mailed before. We are going to Oz for a holiday/research trip in january and are really looking foreward to seeing the space and ofcause our family in Adelaide. :cool:
 
Old Oct 11th 2002, 6:44 pm
  #7  
We arrived november 2004
Thread Starter
 
kentcoast's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Meadows (Adelaide)
Posts: 408
kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

Originally posted by Julie Funnell:
Hi there, this is the first time I've e-mailed before. We are going to Oz for a holiday/research trip in january and are really looking foreward to seeing the space and ofcause our family in Adelaide.
Hi Julie,
In the temporary absence of the forum's semi-official meeter and greeter, the good Doctor Baldbutts (don't worry -you'll meet him soon enough.....) and as a fellow Adelaide resident to be, I thought I'd take the opportunity say hi and welcome.

There’s a real wealth of information and experience here, it's a bit like a large extended family (and yes, it does include a grumpy relative who sits in the corner and shouts about the old days).

Have fun.

Cheers
Perry
kentcoast is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 6:04 am
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Perth Arse end of the planet
Posts: 7,037
pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

Originally posted by kentcoast:
I had to go to a meeting in Oxford today. 280 miles door to door from my village just outside of Dover and all bar 10 miles of it on motorway/trunk.

I spent just over 9 hours at the wheel of the car with no stops - an average of a tad over 31 miles per hour.

This is one hell of an overcrowded little island.

If I could go tomorrow........

Sorry, not much of value there for the forum but I feel better for getting it off my chest.

Now for an Indian takeaway and a beer or three!

Pip Pip

Perry
Try finding 3rd gear maybe a new car would help?9 hours driving in WA would get you you just past a sand hiil.
pommie bastard is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2002, 8:06 am
  #9  
We arrived november 2004
Thread Starter
 
kentcoast's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Meadows (Adelaide)
Posts: 408
kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another reason for going.....

Originally posted by pommie bastard:


Try finding 3rd gear maybe a new car would help?9 hours driving in WA would get you you just past a sand hiil.
Sorry mate, you're trolling the wrong bloke. I'm close to starting a PB fan club. Any number of times I've come home from work utterly p****d off and you've been there to cheer me up.

Remember, there's always someone more miserable than you are, but for most of us there's you.......

Pip Pip

Perry
kentcoast is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.