British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   another perth suburb question....Sorry!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/another-perth-suburb-question-sorry-588518/)

jimmyandnaomi Feb 1st 2009 4:39 pm

another perth suburb question....Sorry!!!

Hi all,

ive spent for the last 3 hrs looking through past threads for info on perth suburbs, and to be honest im a little lost, theres so many, lol!

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some nice areas with schools (a 1 and 6 year old), train station, shops etc.. that is cheap enough to live (hoping to eventually buy a 4x2) but not to far to commute to graylands hospital.

Were hoping to be in perth asap, but this housing market carry ons driving me up the wall, house up for sale since september and only had 3 viewings, this time last year my house would of sold within 2-4 weeks. I suppose the only good thing is that ive now got more time to research perth, so any info on suburbs would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to all that are getting sick of the which suburb posts but im really getting confused with which areas are good and which are to be avoided like the plague!

thanks, naomi x

hitchcock71 Feb 1st 2009 7:52 pm

Re: another perth suburb question....Sorry!!!

sorry no idea where graylands hospital is ? where is it?

welshtony Feb 1st 2009 8:09 pm

Is psychiatric hospital near shenton Park - so North of the river but fairly central to Perth. For reasonable priced houses you need to go North and in from the coast a couple of suburbs - Maybe Woodvale or even further North. I've been out for nearly 8 years so am not that up with the housing situation - 8 years out of Perth and Australia that is, not Graylands

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Perthine Feb 2nd 2009 10:14 am

Originally Posted by jimmyandnaomi (Post 7236525)
Hi all,

ive spent for the last 3 hrs looking through past threads for info on perth suburbs, and to be honest im a little lost, theres so many, lol!

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some nice areas with schools (a 1 and 6 year old), train station, shops etc.. that is cheap enough to live (hoping to eventually buy a 4x2) but not to far to commute to graylands hospital.

Were hoping to be in perth asap, but this housing market carry ons driving me up the wall, house up for sale since september and only had 3 viewings, this time last year my house would of sold within 2-4 weeks. I suppose the only good thing is that ive now got more time to research perth, so any info on suburbs would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to all that are getting sick of the which suburb posts but im really getting confused with which areas are good and which are to be avoided like the plague!

thanks, naomi x

Graylands is in Mount Claremeont which is a fairly upmarket suburb. Spend some time on www.realestate.com.au and you will see that all surrounding suburbs are quite expensive, million dollar houses. All suburbs at the Westcoast are very very good suburbs. Affordable but still good ones and close to the trainstation are a bit further north, eg. Warwick, Karrinyup, Carine, Duncraig, Padbury, Craigie, Beldon, Heathridge, or on the other side of the freeway Greenwood, Kingsley, Woodvale, Edgewater, Joondalup, Currambine, Kinross, Clarkson.
Or if you prefer south of the River have a look at: Palmyra, Melville, Booragoon and surroundings, Como, Kensington...
To get an idea about suburbs check this website http://www.aussiemove.com/

jimmyandnaomi Feb 3rd 2009 8:09 pm

Thankyou all for your replies,ill have a look at the suburbs mentioned and hopefully can narrow them down a bit, lol!

kind regards,

naomi x

Dorothy Feb 3rd 2009 9:34 pm

I work at Graylands and live in Clarkson. During rush hour it takes me about 45 minutes each way, however if you're a nurse your shifts would be more out of rush hour, so it would probably take you a little less time to get there. Getting there by train is not very straightforward; unless you live on the Fremantle line you'll have to change trains at Perth. There is lots of free parking at the hospital, so driving is what most staff do.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

The_Wookie Feb 4th 2009 9:59 am

We got a nice 3 bed place in Yokine/Inglewood for $375k. That's not too far from Claremont.

Inglewood has some absolutely lovely places.