Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

another pension question

Wikiposts

another pension question

Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Question another pension question

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer "protected rights" part of a pension to anywhere in Oz? Our advisor came last night & he wasn't sure. Both hubby & I contracted out of SERPS ages ago, & I wondered if it was worth persuing when we arrive. Obviously we will get some advice when we get there, I just wondered if anyone knows the score?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:49 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: another pension question

Originally Posted by woogle
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer "protected rights" part of a pension to anywhere in Oz? Our advisor came last night & he wasn't sure. Both hubby & I contracted out of SERPS ages ago, & I wondered if it was worth persuing when we arrive. Obviously we will get some advice when we get there, I just wondered if anyone knows the score?
Yes you can. You may need to sign an extra form.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:19 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by woogle
Hi,

Woogle,
could you explain what you are refring to?
I'm contracted out of serps in the UK, have been since day one of work.

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

On my statements it shows "protected rights & non-protected rights" as I understood it,the Government pays your SERPS bit,which is the "protected rights" & the advisor didn't think this could be moved to Oz,& would have to stay here til I retire.
However I spoke to my company Zurich today to get an updated statement,& I currently have about £xx in the fund,which she thought I might be able to add to a scheme in Oz.
So I'm a bit confused myself now!

Last edited by woogle; Jan 4th 2006 at 8:32 am.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:59 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markeh
Woogle,
could you explain what you are refring to?
I'm contracted out of serps in the UK, have been since day one of work.

Bye
Mark
When you contract out of SERPS the portion of your NI that would have gone into SERPS goes into your own private pension. This contribution is known as protected rights because you can only access it when you get to pension age whereas other money you put into your private pension can be accessed earlier.

You can move your protected rights to an Australian pension; I've dont it.