Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another newbie couple in Sydney...

Another newbie couple in Sydney...

Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

The Beels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another newbie couple in Sydney...

Hiya everyone,

Me and the hubby (I'm 29 and Scottish, he's 35 and from Lincolnshire) have been here for 7 weeks now and as much as we love each others' company, we need a decent night out and to meet other like minded peeps.

We love a good gig (got tickets for Paul Weller in August and New Young Pony Club, too) we are both very sociable and house trained to boot!

Currently living in the eastern suburbs and hubby is a carpenter and is complaining that all he meets at work are back packers, not residents, and I teach English at a uni and haven't met anyone to have a laugh with yet as it's been a bit full on since we got here.

We're used to living abroad (just spent 5 years in Holland) but kinda walked into a huge circle of friends there and finding it a bit hard here in the big old city.

So, if anyone fancies a drink (couples/singles, older, younger, black, blue, yellow-we don't care) get in touch, as it can be a bit lonely here

And since I haven't been on this sight since May last year (having a whinge about our medicals haha Thank God that's over) I've also just seen the Pom Girls night out thread-I'll be on the next one!

Hope to hear from you,
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Tam and Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another newbie couple in Sydney...

Hi

Me and my partner arrived roughly the same time with our 4 year old daughter, and we are also looking to meet up with new friends!
Whereabouts are you in Eastern Suburbs?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

JoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the rough

hello there

we've been here nearly 3 weeks now & living in the northern suburbs... currently in cremorne.

we've spent a lot of time over the eastern suburbs when we were here before so would be good to come over to relive some past memories!!!

let us know when and where and we'll be there ....my oh is also a carpenter & would be good to get some tips on work etc... for him.

look forward to meeting up...be good to have a few beers & good chat & most importantly a laugh!

cheers

jo
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:51 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Beels
we are both very sociable and house trained to boot!
We (Mark and Kerry) will be arriving in September. Kerry is house trained too but I have the occasional relapse to Kerry's annoyance. Only problem is we come with 2 very very very nutty boxer dogs When we have a barbeque, prepare to be drooled on (not for the sausages, they are beer monsters)

See you soon
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tam and Mike
Hi

Me and my partner arrived roughly the same time with our 4 year old daughter, and we are also looking to meet up with new friends!
Whereabouts are you in Eastern Suburbs?
Hiya Tam and Mike-sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you, I have basic computer skills at best!

We're in Bronte, and would love tomeet up with you both. Bronte is great for kiddies, too! Only trouble is I am full on with full time work and studying for a Masters (and I'm thick!) so it may be a few more weeks before we can hook up, I'm afraid!

Where are you? I must admit it's lovely here and work is good but a bit ffffffffreeeezing at night in the hoose!

I'll be in touch very soon, and hope it's going well for you. Is it easier to meet peeps when you have a kiddie?

Helen x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We (Mark and Kerry) will be arriving in September. Kerry is house trained too but I have the occasional relapse to Kerry's annoyance. Only problem is we come with 2 very very very nutty boxer dogs When we have a barbeque, prepare to be drooled on (not for the sausages, they are beer monsters)

See you soon
Hiya Mark and Kerry, how ya goin?

Boxers! OMG what better reason to meet up-I LOVE DOGS! The drooling I can handle-the hubby's a bit of drooler at times, depending on how much sauce we've had!

We're hoping to have a BBQ soon, too, so let us know when you arrive. You must be getting so excited no-not long to go! Where you thinking of settling?

Anyhoo, be in touch and be greatful that all that visa pallaver is OVER!!!

Helen x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JoandPaulW
hello there

we've been here nearly 3 weeks now & living in the northern suburbs... currently in cremorne.

we've spent a lot of time over the eastern suburbs when we were here before so would be good to come over to relive some past memories!!!

let us know when and where and we'll be there ....my oh is also a carpenter & would be good to get some tips on work etc... for him.

look forward to meeting up...be good to have a few beers & good chat & most importantly a laugh!

cheers

jo
Hiya Jo, it's a deal-we should meet up soon!

How are you finding it where you are? Is it close to work or are you having to travel? I'm seriously considering a push bike (a la Holland) but had a rethink when we noticed the hills around here! Maybe nearer the summer (when IS that?) when I have to lose a few pounds...

It's a bit full on with work/study at the mo-I've taken on way too much (hence the late reply) but hoping to reduce my teaching hours so that I can at least get some of my life back at the weekends...I only have 6 months before I hit my dirties.....!

How's you OH finding the work scene? I must admit, we were hoping the wages to be higher, but it seems Aussie experience (despite 15 years on the tools) is the way to go and we've found it best working on an ABN-with the tax breaks.

Anyhoo, hope to meet up very soon, once I get my first assignment off (the hard part is starting it...)

Best,

Helen x
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

mark28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

We have been in Sydney for appx 6 weeks now and have a young daughter but are keen also to meet people, wife happy to have a girls night out, me beers etc with the guys or as a family.

We live in the Northern Beaches (Seaforth) but would be good to hear from anyone.

Thanks Mark
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:09 am
del
Forum Regular

del is an unknown quantity at this point

See you soon
Hi Mark/Kerry,

Great to hear there are other boxer owners coming over. I've got a 7 year old myself and have been trying to find like-minded people to go walking with i.e. people who know their "traits"!

Do you have any idea yet of where you'll be staying? I'm presuming that, as we did, you'll be considering an area which is good for walks?

Jane
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

See you soon
Weren't you part of the January '07 visa application group? Hard to believe that we've been here for over a year now - we arrived end of June last year - what took you so long?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

marina01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Beels
Hiya everyone,

Me and the hubby (I'm 29 and Scottish, he's 35 and from Lincolnshire) have been here for 7 weeks now and as much as we love each others' company, we need a decent night out and to meet other like minded peeps.

We love a good gig (got tickets for Paul Weller in August and New Young Pony Club, too) we are both very sociable and house trained to boot!

Currently living in the eastern suburbs and hubby is a carpenter and is complaining that all he meets at work are back packers, not residents, and I teach English at a uni and haven't met anyone to have a laugh with yet as it's been a bit full on since we got here.

We're used to living abroad (just spent 5 years in Holland) but kinda walked into a huge circle of friends there and finding it a bit hard here in the big old city.

So, if anyone fancies a drink (couples/singles, older, younger, black, blue, yellow-we don't care) get in touch, as it can be a bit lonely here

And since I haven't been on this sight since May last year (having a whinge about our medicals haha Thank God that's over) I've also just seen the Pom Girls night out thread-I'll be on the next one!

Hope to hear from you,
Hey,

My partner and I are coming out to Sydney on 1st Decemebr I am 27 and Matthew is 29 and a chippy to so if your free would be fab to arrange a meet up.
We are both from wales and are coming out on a year holiday VISA although we have already applied for our skilled migration visa we just can wait fro it to come through hence the working hol visa.
We are looking at living in Wollongong or north beaches just not sure yet where the work will be.
Any ways to stop gassing on would be lovely to meet up for a drink if possible.

Let us know

Nat & Mat x
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:32 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Weren't you part of the January '07 visa application group? Hard to believe that we've been here for over a year now - we arrived end of June last year - what took you so long?
Yes we applied the same day as you!!!

Trying to sell the house... still havent managed it so renting it out now.

Originally Posted by del
Hi Mark/Kerry,

Great to hear there are other boxer owners coming over. I've got a 7 year old myself and have been trying to find like-minded people to go walking with i.e. people who know their "traits"!
Do you have any idea yet of where you'll be staying? I'm presuming that, as we did, you'll be considering an area which is good for walks?

Jane
Looking at somewhere near Castle HIll / Kellyville, a few parks near there and its within our price range. I hope...