Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another Expat experience to log

Another Expat experience to log

Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:40 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Another Expat experience to log

Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later. My Auntie died last night, and I need to go back for the funeral. She was my Dad's last remaining sibling - both parents gone. He's in a crap state, and I'm going to support him as much as to pay my respects to my Aunt.
Anyway, it seems there are no cheap airfares for anyone going home for compassionate reasons, and so far my cheapest flight is with Emirate airlines, flying tomorrow, for a total (including taxes) of $2,200.
I always said I'd keep enough money in the bank to enable me to go back if I had to - just never expected it to happen so soon. (Been here 5 months)
Always swore that money wouldnt keep me away from the UK - and it hasnt - but it still stings the old wallet!

Anyway, just thought I'd share - and if I pick up on anything useful from this experience - I'll pass it on.

W.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Expat experience to log

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later. My Auntie died last night, and I need to go back for the funeral. She was my Dad's last remaining sibling - both parents gone. He's in a crap state, and I'm going to support him as much as to pay my respects to my Aunt.
Anyway, it seems there are no cheap airfares for anyone going home for compassionate reasons, and so far my cheapest flight is with Emirate airlines, flying tomorrow, for a total (including taxes) of $2,200.
I always said I'd keep enough money in the bank to enable me to go back if I had to - just never expected it to happen so soon. (Been here 5 months)
Always swore that money wouldnt keep me away from the UK - and it hasnt - but it still stings the old wallet!

Anyway, just thought I'd share - and if I pick up on anything useful from this experience - I'll pass it on.

W.
sorry to hear your sad news. I'm sure your dad will find you being there a big comfort.
safe journey
k
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

W.

Have you told the airline it is for compassionate grounds, they will, if the flight is not full make sure you have seat next to empty seats if you want to be left alone.

It is not a nice thing. I had the same last feb with my Grandmother.

Be there for your dad
Haven't got any "wise" words to sign off by - as sometimes words are meaningless in this situation.

Just be there for your dad.

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 28th 2005 at 4:00 am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear your news Wanderlust. Thanks so much for sharing the information.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 4:44 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

W.
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried zuji.com.au I've always found them to come up with the cheap goods.
Bondipom (if you didnt know) also tried to get a compassionate flight last week and wasn't able to. I think he got one for about $1700, but had to wait a week for it.

ATB xx
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

W.
Sorry to hear about your loss. It is hard to be consoling to loved ones over here.

Fortunately for me the funeral was delayed for a week so I got a flight. I got mine on Virgin/Malaysian airlines for 1850 inc taxes from
Try around different agents and websites.

For starters try

www.zuji.com.au (the ones who got me my flight on Friday)
www.statravel.com.au
www.travel.com.au
www.webjet.com.au
www.bestflights.com.au
www.qantas.com.au
www.malaysiaairlines.com.au
www.singaporeairlines.com.au
http://www.emirates.com/au/SpecialOffers/offers.asp

The main concession you may get is an advance purchase waiver. Ring around and see what happens. Austrian airlines also had a similiar priced deal to what I got.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Love and hugs Lena - if you need me, you know where I am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear the news. Good luck with it all.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be a lot of condolance threads at the moment. All the best to all of you guys going through it. I hope you find strength for yourselves and your families.
Hxx
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to here about your sad loss

Sue
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear about your aunt. Hope the flight isn't too horrendous and all the best to you and yours.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry - good luck with the flights.