Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Annual parks charge

Annual parks charge

Old Aug 25th 2004, 11:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Annual parks charge

We just got our water bill and attached to it was an "annual parks charge of $50."

Seems like a good idea. Is it Australia wide and are us Victorians being ripped off, or do we all pay the same
Old Aug 25th 2004, 12:21 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual parks charge

Originally Posted by hevs
We just got our water bill and attached to it was an "annual parks charge of $50."

Seems like a good idea. Is it Australia wide and are us Victorians being ripped off, or do we all pay the same
Do you mean National Parks?

We bought an Annual Parks card for WA for $52.
Seeing as entry to one park(one visit) is already $9, this is good value.

We just got it at the entry of the first park we went too.
Haven't had a water bill yet....
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

No parks charge in Queensland, but then again we pay an ambulance surcharge on our electricity bill
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:25 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

First Ive heard of it & I'm only about 20 mins from Hevs. Why do you get a water bill? Thought you had your own water in storage tanks.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 5:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Ok to add to the confusion....NSW.....we have two national parks up the road (very nice for motorbikes!) and it would cost us $65 for an annual in one, normally $10 a day visit....is this transferable to both parks and the family car? When asking for information from brain dead money collector on a Sunday do we take a grunt as a yes?

So if someone knows on the best open annual season ticket to buy that takes you into national parks all over please speak now!

Appreciate I might sound facetious....but that is just my way of typing!

Cheers Sand
Old Aug 26th 2004, 3:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I only know about the WA one...
$51 (not 52) for a whole year, all parks in WA.
You get it at entry or at a CALM office. (I think CALM is only WA... Conservation and Land Management)

This is what I posted on the 'top tips' thread:

One entry, into one park, already costs $9.
So, just figure, over a whole year, you'll have it 'back' in no time.(unless you only visit a few).

In these first few weeks we bought it when we went into John Forrest NP(in the Perth Hills) and used it for Nambung NP (Pinnacles).

See here for WA:
http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/national_...ark_passes.html

Oh, Gold Star Pass is also good option(didn't know about it when we got ours)

Even if you don't plan to venture far from Perth, it still probably worth it.
These parks are in the Perth area:
Yanchep, John Forrest, Serpentine, Walyunga and Avon Valley.

Then there's:
North of Perth:
Nambung (home of the Pinnacles),
Kalbarri
François Peron, near Monkey Mia in Shark Bay
Cape Range, near Exmouth
Millstream-Chichester and Karijini, in the Pilbara
Purnululu and Mirima in the Kimberley

South-west:
Gloucester, Warren, Beedelup, Shannon and D'Entrecasteaux, near Pemberton
Porongurup, Stirling Range and Fitzgerald River, near Albany
Cape Le Grand, Cape Arid and Stokes, on the south coast near Esperance

For Monkey Mia itself, and the Tree Top Walk in the valley of the giants, you still have to pay a fee.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 4:15 am
ABCDiamond

Hevs, I think it is just your area of Melbourne

The Parks Charge is an annual charge levied on residential and commercial properties throughout greater Melbourne. The Parks Charge funds the development and management of a network of regional parks, gardens, trails, waterways, bays, and other significant recreation and conservation assets within the greater metropolitan area.

The Parks Charge has been included on the water, sewerage and drainage bills issued to domestic and non-domestic properties since 1958. The Charge is calculated by applying a rate to the Net Annual Value (NAV) of commercial and residential properties. A minimum charge applies for the majority of ratepayers.

When comparing to W.A. etc, it doesn't cover entry to anything. It's just a charge. Most other areas include it in the general rates.

Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Frekin ada, i'm being ripped off again, robbing Aussie bastards

No folks this isn't national parks, just normal parks that ANYONE can go in. RIGHT, thats it, i'm gonna set up a gate on the reserve and start charging for anybody to come in that doesn't have to pay this $50

Bordy, we have to pay a massive quarterly bill for drainage of $12.50!! so that our septic is drained away, ok, sorry, too much information
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Trevglas
No parks charge in Queensland, but then again we pay an ambulance surcharge on our electricity bill
I think we may pay that tooo.............................................. ...
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought this a little unusual, as I use Victorian National Parks to holiday in a bit.
In South Australia, I can pay $125 a year to obtain an annual pass to all National Parks and Conservation Parks in South Australia, entitling me to free entry to any park and up to five nights camping for free. . . . usually between $5 to $15 a night without a permit!!!
On enquiring to Parks Victoria, I was told the State of Victoria doesn't issue "Parks Passes" like in SA. That was only a few months ago.
I thought SA was the only State to offer annual Parks passes.
I now have learnt that WA has a similar annual pass deal like in SA. . . . you learn something every day.