Annual leave

Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual leave

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'd say thats unlikely
That would be almost 100pct of my Work Colleagues...very rare that anyone leaves post.... They haven't taken anyone on in ages. Most of the Wifes Nursing Colleagues. My outside of work friends are also in long term jobs.

The amount of people I know with over 400K accrued in super (a few with 600K) would also surprise you. I accept that's more unusual though. Makes for great chit chat when I visit the UK that last one.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Makes for great chit chat when I visit the UK that last one.
Are you a brummy? Formerly featured on Harry Enfiled & Chums?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:28 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

That would be almost 100pct of my Work Colleagues...very rare that anyone leaves post.... They haven't taken anyone on in ages. Most of the Wifes Nursing Colleagues. My outside of work friends are also in long term jobs.

The amount of people I know with over 400K accrued in super (a few with 600K) would also surprise you. I accept that's more unusual though. Makes for great chit chat when I visit the UK that last one.

I think you're living in the past - and it would be interesting to see the difference in age between you and Knockoff Nige. The concept of a 'job for life' has been dead for many years now - It just isn't the done thing - job mobility is identified as being one of the key methods for developing skills and experience and ultimately developing a rewarding and productive career. Indeed in the US job market it's generally considered an impediment to career progress if you have stayed too long in one company.

20 years ago, when people did still want jobs for life, LSL was relevant, but now it isn't - not for people who want to develop and build rewarding careers, anyway. The only way to develop that breadth of experience and skill is to move about.

S
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:30 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Are you a brummy? Formerly featured on Harry Enfiled & Chums?

Am caught somewhere in the middle as am on the same leave plan as my UK parent company but officially a "local". 23 days to start so higher than Oz standard and then increasing with length of service. I'm assuming however that the LSL is a legal right and that would also apply to me?

Same goes for sick pay as my contract only makes ref to UK statutory sick pay. Having just checked the workfair site it seems I should be accruing sick leave at the same rate of 10 dpa as everyone else, must pass that onto my boss when he gets back from the UK next week

I'm assuming however that sick leave only accrues with the same employer and that it would reset to zero if you jump ship?

All my HR staff is in the UK and I'm pretty sure they dread my e-mails
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Here in the UK I am entitled to 6 months sick on full pay and another six months on half pay. I have never taken more than a week but will miss having the security of it.

I also get 41 days annual leave here (inc bank hols). In Aus I will get 20 days plus bank holidays. Someone remind me again why I'm doing this?

yes...why? here I work for government and I get 4 weeks leave, and 12 days sick a year, thats why people use their sick leave, because though it accumulates, its so small.... In the UK people generally dont because they know if they are sick, theyll get leave! If you get very sick you simply dont get paid This really shocked me when I first arrived...
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think you're living in the past - and it would be interesting to see the difference in age between you and Knockoff Nige. The concept of a 'job for life' has been dead for many years now - It just isn't the done thing - job mobility is identified as being one of the key methods for developing skills and experience and ultimately developing a rewarding and productive career. Indeed in the US job market it's generally considered an impediment to career progress if you have stayed too long in one company.

20 years ago, when people did still want jobs for life, LSL was relevant, but now it isn't - not for people who want to develop and build rewarding careers, anyway. The only way to develop that breadth of experience and skill is to move about.

S
Agreed. From my experience, and this seems to be true in Australia and Ireland, staying loyal to a company costs you in salary. You might get a promotion but not get an opportunity to negotiate the new package. You might settle for pay rises each year. They will always be less than what you can get by moving on. So there is a big incentive to move.

I'm 21 by the way
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to find some numbers.

http://www.ahri.com.au/MMSdocuments/profdevelopment/research/research_papers/0803_pulse_vol2_no1_love_em_don't_lose_em_web.pdf

Employee average tenure at a company is estimated at 4 years:

75% of organisations expect employees to stay for 5 years or less:

...nothing particularly surprising.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. From my experience, and this seems to be true in Australia and Ireland, staying loyal to a company costs you in salary. You might get a promotion but not get an opportunity to negotiate the new package. You might settle for pay rises each year. They will always be less than what you can get by moving on. So there is a big incentive to move.

I'm 21 by the way
57 here mate.... no wonder we see the world totally differently.

Your in the same age bracket as my working daughters. My 28 yo drives me nuts the amount of moving around in jobs that she does. Personally I dont think shifting around works in the long run. One of the main factors for that mindset is the relatively new wave of SE Asian and Sub Continent people who absolutely have to work smarter and cheaper, who will be your main competition.... Changing position regularly may work for a very few at the highest end of the scale... for the majority in my view it wont.... At some point they'll hit a brick wall of cheaper and similar competition and the employers may then look at tenure of service records.

How are you supposed to buy a house on a contract employment basis..... Unless your a Tradie.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN

Am caught somewhere in the middle as am on the same leave plan as my UK parent company but officially a "local". 23 days to start so higher than Oz standard and then increasing with length of service. I'm assuming however that the LSL is a legal right and that would also apply to me?

Same goes for sick pay as my contract only makes ref to UK statutory sick pay. Having just checked the workfair site it seems I should be accruing sick leave at the same rate of 10 dpa as everyone else, must pass that onto my boss when he gets back from the UK next week

I'm assuming however that sick leave only accrues with the same employer and that it would reset to zero if you jump ship?

All my HR staff is in the UK and I'm pretty sure they dread my e-mails

You ought to be able to, my understanding that all "Permanent" staff are supposedly able to accrue long service leave. That and other benefits is why companies do their best not to take people on a permanent basis and offer seemingly higher salaries with less benefits. It saves the companies a lot of money paying higher wages on contracts.

Lot of confusion in the workplace re Permanent v rolling contracts.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

How are you supposed to buy a house on a contract employment basis..... Unless your a Tradie.
...but there is of course a big difference between being a contractor or casual (of which a sizable proportion of the Aussie workforce is) and changing jobs every few years. As has been said...changing jobs can result in big financial increments. Those $'s will be more useful in house buying than multiple years of service with an employer...I'm sure most lenders will only care that you are out of probation.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 66, and my last job in the UK lasted 9 years (1973-82) and my first job in Oz lasted 11 years (1983-94). Since then I have worked on contracts, most of which only last up to a year. I've been with my current company for 9 years, but that's only because I write my own terms of employment (and I'm a shareholder). I could earn more money by moving, but they'd expect me to work on their terms and I'm not prepared to do that!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

57 here mate.... no wonder we see the world totally differently.

Your in the same age bracket as my working daughters. My 28 yo drives me nuts the amount of moving around in jobs that she does. Personally I dont think shifting around works in the long run. One of the main factors for that mindset is the relatively new wave of SE Asian and Sub Continent people who absolutely have to work smarter and cheaper, who will be your main competition.... Changing position regularly may work for a very few at the highest end of the scale... for the majority in my view it wont.... At some point they'll hit a brick wall of cheaper and similar competition and the employers may then look at tenure of service records.

Unfortunately I was lying about my age. 35 in two months. Shiver. You don't have to move around on a yearly basis but moving every 3 or 4 years is reasonable. It's better financially (usually) to move to a different company.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately I was lying about my age. 35 in two months. Shiver. You don't have to move around on a yearly basis but moving every 3 or 4 years is reasonable. It's better financially (usually) to move to a different company.

Should have read your signature shouldn't I

Tomorrow when I've got more time, I'll relate how to what extent Post and I assume other companies go out of their way to exclude new employees from permanent employment. They usually try this on new migrants.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

$1.4t in Aussie super now (larger than our GDP) and climbing fast at the moment due to a good stockmarket. At 12% it is only going to get bigger. Saying that, I think a few people have a lot in super and the majority do not. I've only been doing super for 7 years and I already have 3 times the average as someone my age usually has, which is frightening as it is no way near enough to retire on. I expect to have 3-4 times as much super as I do now by the time I get to retire in under 10 years time.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow when I've got more time, I'll relate how to what extent Post and I assume other companies go out of their way to exclude new employees from permanent employment.
You can thank our socialist government for this due to the onerous conditions placed on employers for employing permanent staff. Hence the number of casual staff.

In the UK it is much easier to fire staff so hence the lack of temps and casuals over there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.