Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Animal Cruelty -Ba$tards

Animal Cruelty -Ba$tards

Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:19 pm
Professional Princess

Default Re: Animal Cruelty -Ba$tards

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Does appear Aussie Courts don't talke animal cruelty particularly seriously..

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?from=storylhs

Bet they smack their partners too.

Bastards not fit to wear the uniform

Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:20 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I am soooo angry

Driving to work this morning [about 8am]...I saw someone throw something out of their van. Then I noticed something wriggling in the middle of the road on the outside lane on the motorway. Thought it was a rag.

As I drew closer, I swerved to miss a little ginger and white kitten. The kitten was obviously either concussed or brain damaged as it was moving very strangely. As I regained control of my car, I looked through my rear view mirror to see seconds later it got run over. A blessing in disguise I think

A few seconds later, still reeling from absolute horror and shock..... I noticed another kitten in the middle of the road. And another. And another.

Some evil B*STARD was throwing kittens out of his / her vehicle

Once I got to work I rang the RSPCA to see if they could take a look on the motorway. Maybe some had managed to survive? [doubt it, but I couldn't rest if it'd not been checked out].

I am so, so angry. How could anyone do this? What kind of sicko does this kind of thing?
Just wanted to say "&*#*^&**$(^"

oh and by the way

"^&*#*#$#!*^()&"

How can anybody do something like this ???

On a positive note we had one of our "neighbours" from 2 streets over come past tonight on one of their regular "cat walks" Basically Mr & Mrs bringing Junior 1 and Junior 2 on a walk around the neighbourhood to see how many cats they can "see and pet". The 2 wee girls were well excited tonight cos they had seen and petted 3 cats by the time they got to our house and then they saw and petted our 2 cats, plus our next door neighbours cat, plus our next doors but 2, so they got to stroke 4 cats at once in our garden.

This was only 1 cat way from their all time record, so the girls were starting to get a bit hyper !

Then our next door neighbours 3 kids spilled out into our garden shouting "kitty kitty" and wanted to join in the petting session so there were 5 kids under 7 having a major "love in" with the neighbourhood cats.

But I figure if (as they are) they are being taught how great cats can be then the future is looking a wee bit more rosy "catwise".

You still get the complete tossers as you experienced this morning J, but take heart from the fact that there are also kids out there learning that cats are great, exciting, fabulous, wonderful !!!

For the tossers, get the license plate and report them. Follow them home if you have to, stalk them if necessary until due justice is meeted out.

Know its gonna take you a bit of time to get over this and wanted to send karma to help (not allowed to - I have to spread) but know that on the basis of "our" 5 kids the future is not totally bleak.

M
Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:26 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I hoped you stopped HELS , under sth Aust laws , you could be charged with "failing to render assistance"........can carry 10k fine or 6mths........ mm

Yeah !!! Go S.Australia !!!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:39 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by Carla
I also agree with everyone else's view points, it is heart breaking to hear what some people have done to animals.

We would like to move to Australia (am very new to this forum ) and we intend to take our 2 cats (family members) with us, but I have been made to feel so unsure that it would be the right thing to do. I also can't bear the thought of leaving them behind in the UK.

If we did take them with us, is it mandatory to keep them inside? my cats love having the freedom to come and go through their cat flap as much as they like. I would hate to have to keep them locked inside on such beautiful days they would thoroughly enjoy sun-bathing in the garden .

What advise can you give me?
Think it depends what area you live in. We brought our 2 cats down with us and have been fortunate enough to be renting in a suburb that is cat friendly. We live at No.7 in our street. No.2 has 1 cat. No.4 has 1 cat No.5 has 2 cats No.8 has a dog No.9 has one cat (and 3 very demanding children ). No.13 has 2 cats. No.14 has a dog. No.17 has 1 cat. No.19 has 1 cat.

needless to say our 2 cats are having a ball and have made so many new friends (and "enemies" )

Regarding the laws, where we live the local council by law states that any cat found out on the street after 8pm will be taken to the pound and blah blah blah, but in reality they dont have enough wardens / rangers to enforce this. Having said that I do try to have both my cats in for supper (and all doors locked) before 7.30 just in case but you know cats ... mind of their own and if they dont want to come in they wont. Aa few of our neighbours seem to allow their cats to be out all night every night and none have ever been taken by the ranger, so ........ <shrugs>
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:02 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Driving home from work today I kept seeing 'things' on the road, kept checking if it was something is shouldn't have been.

Geez, I feel sick again thinking about this. 'Luckily' I 'forget' about it while doing other things, which I guess is sort of good, because if I kept thinking about this and all the other horrible things in the world, I would've been seriously depressed by now. But I do feel guilty about not always thinking about the horrible things or doing something. #@^*%#
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Think it depends what area you live in. We brought our 2 cats down with us and have been fortunate enough to be renting in a suburb that is cat friendly. We live at No.7 in our street. No.2 has 1 cat. No.4 has 1 cat No.5 has 2 cats No.8 has a dog No.9 has one cat (and 3 very demanding children ). No.13 has 2 cats. No.14 has a dog. No.17 has 1 cat. No.19 has 1 cat.

needless to say our 2 cats are having a ball and have made so many new friends (and "enemies" )

Regarding the laws, where we live the local council by law states that any cat found out on the street after 8pm will be taken to the pound and blah blah blah, but in reality they dont have enough wardens / rangers to enforce this. Having said that I do try to have both my cats in for supper (and all doors locked) before 7.30 just in case but you know cats ... mind of their own and if they dont want to come in they wont. Aa few of our neighbours seem to allow their cats to be out all night every night and none have ever been taken by the ranger, so ........ <shrugs>
Vegmite, What area do you live in, come next yr you may well have a new neighbour with another cat to make friends with I too am nervous about bringing my cat to Perth, but your post has assured me that I can find an area that my cat will be safe in, thankyou, Tony
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:09 pm
Laura &amp; Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

That is sickening.

We're just at the beginning of the process, and are going to bring our 2 cats, as they are as close to us as children, but I'm a bit worried from a few posts I've read.

They are very much outdoor cats, and would hate to be locked up in the house, but there's no way we can leave them here in the UK.

We'll be heading for Melbourne (Middle Park/Fitzroy/Carlton or Elwood hopefully) - are there any places to avoid?

Laura
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:34 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I`ve read most of the first page, and I`m afraid I can`t read any more posts as it`s too upsetting.

If you can write to your local paper and inform the police please.

I`m not a great fan of cats in Oz due to the damage they cause the environment, but I can`t stand cruelty to any animals. My wife and myself often pick up worms off paths and put them in the grass, and dodge ants in paths etc.

My step-dad drowned some kittens in the UK when I was 7. He also tried to run over some rabbits in a country lane when I was 7. I`ve never forgotten it.

I`m Australian btw, so I hope you know there are plenty of Aussie animal lovers. Unfortunately, there are uncaring scum all over the world. At least we don`t eat horses in Oz.

Sorry you had to witness that. It`s one of the worst things I`ve ever heard. I`d kill whoever was responsible... and no, I`m not joking. I have no regard for the life of someone who could do something like that to an innocent animal.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stormz
I`ve read most of the first page, and I`m afraid I can`t read any more posts as it`s too upsetting.

If you can write to your local paper and inform the police please.

I`m not a great fan of cats in Oz due to the damage they cause the environment, but I can`t stand cruelty to any animals. My wife and myself often pick up worms off paths and put them in the grass, and dodge ants in paths etc.

My step-dad drowned some kittens in the UK when I was 7. He also tried to run over some rabbits in a country lane when I was 7. I`ve never forgotten it.

I`m Australian btw, so I hope you know there are plenty of Aussie animal lovers. Unfortunately, there are uncaring scum all over the world. At least we don`t eat horses in Oz.

Sorry you had to witness that. It`s one of the worst things I`ve ever heard. I`d kill whoever was responsible... and no, I`m not joking. I have no regard for the life of someone who could do something like that to an innocent animal.
Sorry, but I keep reading from a number of posts that some Auzzies dont like Cats because they cause damage to the environment!! sorry to pick on you Storm, but you reminded me when you said it. How on gods earth can My Beautiful cat Jigsaw cause damage to the environment??, i really dont know what you mean. He goes out all the time, the worst he does is have a poo, but then every outdoor animals poo!! Cats inherehtly dont stray further than 50 yards from their Food Bowl, so im lost on that one. It humans who I dislike the most who Really do damage the environment, im ok with people who dont like cats, as long as they dont hurt mine i could care less, but surely its nothin to do with the environment!! Ive attached a photo of Daddy (me) and my baby boy, Damage to the Environment Indeed Oh and Storm, loads have said it on here, so im not picking on you promise, i just dont get it. Tony (sorry bout the pic, but i want to share Jigsaw with you, My life), i know im sad!!
Attached Thumbnails Animal Cruelty -Ba$tards-chunks-daddy3.jpg  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:02 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Thanks to all for your good wishes. Still pissed off about yesterday but realistic to know this sort of thing happens everywhere and not just Australia.

The RSPCA rang back last night to say they'd found evidence of one kitten and another, but too badly to identify.....and the others had probably been taken by wildlife or simply disintegrated by the cars on the motorway.They were about 10/12 weeks old and probably "disposed" of because no one wanted them

In a nutshell; nothing can be done about it and apparently it's not as uncommon as we think. RSPCA said cats in particular come in for a rough ride due to their threat to the environment and some people's intolerance to this fact. Whatever our own views are on this....this is what happens they said

Anyways, thought I'd let you know the outcome. And thanks again for your support. Much appreciated

Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carla

If we did take them with us, is it mandatory to keep them inside? my cats love having the freedom to come and go through their cat flap as much as they like. I would hate to have to keep them locked inside on such beautiful days they would thoroughly enjoy sun-bathing in the garden .

What advise can you give me?
Check out the councils web site where you will be moving to for the rules on animal regulations. Councils and areas differ to the next place in Aus. they all have different regulations. Most councils web sites will give you their "laws" on pet ownership

an earlier thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=cats

If you will be keeping them in, you can build, or buy a cat run for your garden, so they can sunbathe and play outside - you can get some really nice ones here , they can be as big/ elaborate or small as you want.

My neighbourhood/area ( and previous neighbourhoods) are full of people own cats ( Aussie owners) , and let them run free ( I don't , mine are indoor cats , nature reasons we are living next to bush)

some people hate them, some people love them. Like in the UK. people differ to the next person

cheers

P.s
Not a big fan of stats myself, as they tend to be inaccurate half the time

some sources say a quarter of all households own a cat, others differ again

But here you go here's one website of stats:

Estimated Number of Australian Households With Pets 2002
Dogs 2,8 million
Cats 1.7 million
Dog and/or Cat 3.9 million

http://www.petnet.com.au/statistics.html

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 7th 2005 at 4:27 am.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:51 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Ceri
If you will be keeping them in, you can build, or buy a cat run for your garden, so they can sunbathe and play outside - you can get some really nice ones here , they can be as big/ elaborate or small as you want.
I forgot about these. We saw some on Cleveland market and I was surprised how big they are.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:46 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Like these: http://www.catnip.com.au/
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:10 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by tonyclark
Sorry, but I keep reading from a number of posts that some Auzzies dont like Cats because they cause damage to the environment!! sorry to pick on you Storm, but you reminded me when you said it. How on gods earth can My Beautiful cat Jigsaw cause damage to the environment??, i really dont know what you mean. He goes out all the time, the worst he does is have a poo, but then every outdoor animals poo!! Cats inherehtly dont stray further than 50 yards from their Food Bowl, so im lost on that one. It humans who I dislike the most who Really do damage the environment, im ok with people who dont like cats, as long as they dont hurt mine i could care less, but surely its nothin to do with the environment!! Ive attached a photo of Daddy (me) and my baby boy, Damage to the Environment Indeed Oh and Storm, loads have said it on here, so im not picking on you promise, i just dont get it. Tony (sorry bout the pic, but i want to share Jigsaw with you, My life), i know im sad!!

I think (correct me if im wrong storm) what Storm meant was in certain areas of Australia cats can cause damage to the wildlife.

Some rare marsupials, parrots etc are being killed by cats.

One lady bragged about how her cat managed to catch and kill a black glossy cockatoo.

These birds are huge and whilst im surprised her cat managed to 'easily' as she put it, kill one, I also think its terrible as well.

In Currumbin wildlife sanctuary in QLD, they have signs all over their zoo about desexing your cat and keep it indoors. One of the girls there told me that cats are a very real threat to some aussie wildlife and it makes it worse to them as they are not native.

But I supppose it depends where you live because that is not applicable everywhere.

Getting back to the point, how anyone can purposely harm a cat, which can do nothing to defend itself, is totally beyond me.

Just because people dont like cats, that is no excuse to hurt them.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:18 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana

corr........could put the kids in some of those!!!!!!
excellent idea!

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.