Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anglo aussie relationships

Wikiposts

anglo aussie relationships

Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:58 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
This is one Polly that is certainly NOT in Canberra! Count this as another vote fo Canberra being crap! 2 hours in the hellhole and I voted it as second only to Dubai in my "I hate this place" ratings!!!

I can't remember anything about Canberra, which says a lot. And we were there on a Friday night...
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I couldn't remember anything about it either! Unhelpful staff at the airport, one bar/cafe which was full of school children screaming, one tacky souvenir shop, and generally an airport that should be ashamed to call itself Australian. Next time we'll fly to Melbourne via Darwin!
Makes Hobart Airport look cosmopolitan!!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:32 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Just try flying in to Port Macquaire!!!

one building/terminal......!!!! bit of grass and a sign saying arrivals ->/departures -> and gate going one way!

Don't knock Canberra! I flew in there on a prop plane and was impressed compared to others.

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:43 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe I'm dense, but why is everyone calling this guy a troll??

I thought it was a pretty good question.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:56 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
maybe I'm dense, but why is everyone calling this guy a troll??

I thought it was a pretty good question.
Nope I am as dense as yourself, cause I also thought the question was a pretty good one, but maybe being on a forum that wants to go to Aus it was deemed as one wanting to incite the masses?

So if you are serious Kong...Private message some people on the site who have been here a while and can help...or also post on the going back to Uk forum?

And for all those with difficult family, I wish you loads of luck, I have the inlaws over at the moment and from one being a stuck on the fence Aus vs Uk I am finding myself waxing lyical about Aus in defence of its good points. Then I have to go the bathroom and laugh at myself! Before you all shout.....I do not not think the Uk is shite or think Aus is utopia.....they are best of both worlds just choose what is best for you.

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:32 am
kong

Cheers for the replys peps!!!

I am for real, it was a gen question just wanted to see what the general consensus was!

Ceri, I like your responce! Anyway I have talked this through with my wife, she is not stupid, she knows her mums game. I know she loves me and wont go back to Aus just because her mum goes on about mythical great weather and a cheap lifestyle compared to UK Yeah rite, on shitty Aussie wages and Sydneys cheap house prices, I think not!!!!

However as much as me and the
Mrs are secure and happy in England, I dont think you should underestimate the power of a nagging/heartstrings pulling mother, especially on a female, (non PC I know but true!!!)

I feel it will always be a worry.

Cheers

Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Intershmet

From my visits to Australia, I grew to the conclusion that it is fundamentaly a right-wing nation, something which would cause me real issues. Nonetheless, the closer the move gets, the more excited I am getting, and the positive aspects I can see - aspects which Australia wins hands-down over the UK.
There is definately a high incidence of racism in australia (a big topic in this forum) ...but I feel the current level of immigration and intake of various cultures in to australia might force the people to adapt more quickly than many countries.
I feel the UK had a longer time span to adapt to the intake of new cultures ...and america has been a melting pot from early days.
Australia has had chinese and italian immigrants from way back to mining days, but the more recently there's been an influx of middle eastern and indian immmigrants ....lets hope the australians community can adapt to welcome all cultures in. (apart from the french. JOKING!)
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:46 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

different for everybody I suppose, but I would think it would be hard for your wife to imagine *never* returning to australia. I mean lots of people obviously emigrate and never look back, but although I think I could adapt to it eventually - it is hard to imagine having kids in the UK, bringing them up as British, and not having them experience the same things I did wheh I was growing up. (not because bringing them up as British would be 'inferior', just different to what I experienced).

Also, if you've got the money, Britain can give you and your kids a fantastic life. If you haven't got oodles of money, I personally don't think the quality of life is as good ('quality' being very used very subjectively here!).

I wouldn't worry so much your wife's mother - but your wife might change her mind of her own accord. You might have to prepare yourself for the fact that one day you' *might* be spending at least a few years in Oz.

Originally posted by kong
Cheers for the replys peps!!!

I am for real, it was a gen question just wanted to see what the general consensus was!

Ceri, I like your responce! Anyway I have talked this through with my wife, she is not stupid, she knows her mums game. I know she loves me and wont go back to Aus just because her mum goes on about mythical great weather and a cheap lifestyle compared to UK Yeah rite, on shitty Aussie wages and Sydneys cheap house prices, I think not!!!!

However as much as me and the
Mrs are secure and happy in England, I dont think you should underestimate the power of a nagging/heartstrings pulling mother, especially on a female, (non PC I know but true!!!)

I feel it will always be a worry.

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:52 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't worry so much your wife's mother - but your wife might change her mind of her own accord. You might have to prepare yourself for the fact that one day you' *might* be spending at least a few years in Oz.
so it may be worth thinking about getting it over and done now before you have kids etc. show willing on your part etc..
Old Apr 8th 2004, 7:47 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default Re: anglo aussie relationships

Originally posted by kong
Hello there, heres my 2 cents worth.

I am married to an Aussie lady, whom I have been with for 4 years, we meet in England and I have visited Aus with her twice, once for a year. I enjoyed the place as a holiday but I would not want to live there. You soon realise if a place is "right" I reckoned that it was ok for Aussies, but a Brit would find it rather boring/suburban.

Anyway my wife seems happy now, however she gets emotional blackmail phonecalls off her mum, asking when shes coming home, giving the old aussie is great, how can you cope with the uk, dump/bad weather etc. My wife seems to enjoy life here, but I worry about if she will inevitably succomb to the harrasment. I hated the place and wonder if anyone else is in a similar position??
just seen the light and will welcome all asylum seekers spongers alike, don,t know why i was going to waste all that money and try and get away from it all.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anglo aussie relationships

Originally posted by woody1974
just seen the light and will welcome all asylum seekers spongers alike, don,t know why i was going to waste all that money and try and get away from it all.
Don't then

G