Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anglo aussie relationships

anglo aussie relationships

Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:39 pm
kong

Default anglo aussie relationships

Hello there, heres my 2 cents worth.

I am married to an Aussie lady, whom I have been with for 4 years, we meet in England and I have visited Aus with her twice, once for a year. I enjoyed the place as a holiday but I would not want to live there. You soon realise if a place is "right" I reckoned that it was ok for Aussies, but a Brit would find it rather boring/suburban.

Anyway my wife seems happy now, however she gets emotional blackmail phonecalls off her mum, asking when shes coming home, giving the old aussie is great, how can you cope with the uk, dump/bad weather etc. My wife seems to enjoy life here, but I worry about if she will inevitably succomb to the harrasment. I hated the place and wonder if anyone else is in a similar position??

Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anglo aussie relationships

Originally posted by kong
but a Brit would find it rather boring/suburban.
Thankyou Kong. You just saved a lot of people a lot of time and money.
As all us Brits are the same we need not bother looking toward OZ then.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:16 am

gedge has disabled reputation

You know I've just seen the light.
Right then pack the bags, stick the container back on the ship, we're going home to the UK.
Horses and coarses I suppose.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I am married to an Aussie lady, whom I have been with for 4 years, we meet in England and I have visited Aus with her twice, once for a year. I enjoyed the place as a holiday but I would not want to live there. You soon realise if a place is "right" I reckoned that it was ok for Aussies, but a Brit would find it rather boring/suburban.

Anyway my wife seems happy now, however she gets emotional blackmail phonecalls off her mum, asking when shes coming home, giving the old aussie is great, how can you cope with the uk, dump/bad weather etc. My wife seems to enjoy life here, but I worry about if she will inevitably succomb to the harrasment. I hated the place and wonder if anyone else is in a similar position??
Are you pulling our plonkers?

"Kong " spelt another way= Gonk

<jargon> /gonk/ 1. To prevaricate or to embellish the truth beyond any reasonable recognition. In German the term is (mythically) "gonken"; in Spanish the verb becomes "gonkar". "You're gonking me. That story you just told me is a bunch of gonk." In German, for example, "Du gonkst mir" (You're pulling my leg).

cheers

Anyway if you're not - I can't believe how your wife will base her decison on "the weather" and her nagging mum ( P.s - it's actually very sh*t weather today in "sunny" Brisbane - raining and overcast)
Old Apr 6th 2004, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Joanie Babes is an unknown quantity at this point

( P.s - it's actually very sh*t weather today in "sunny" Brisbane - raining and overcast) [/QUOTE]

I know- this damn weather, I came here under the illusion I would
a) get a tan
b) develop a body like either kylie or any of the cast off Home and Away
c) never get rained on again.

That's it, sod the bush walks, vast empty spaces, and beaches to die for I am off back to Bristol. No wait hang on, they closed down my old place of work- had better stay put.

On a more serious note, my boyf' of 3 years comes from Adelaide and we met in Bristol with work. We both got transferred here to Brisbane Jan 2003. He really misses the Uk, quite possibly more than me, but for strange reasons like the football (soccer to the aussies out there), meeting up with freinds to watch sport in the pub on a Sat afternoon, and obviously easy access to the ski fields of France and Italy. We are now thinking about our next move, maybe Canada as i would be good for us both to be "new" somewhere are we are both in the mining game. I think however, that my folks would kill me as they love Oz and if I moved on they would lose their B&B!!!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

And heres my 2 cents worth.

I am married to an English bloke, whom I have been with for a lot longer than 4 years, we meet in Aus and I have visited UK with him twice, once for a year. I enjoyed the place as a holiday but I would not want to live there. You soon realise if a place is "right" I reckoned that it was ok for Brits, but an Aussie would find it rather boring/suburban.

Anyway my husband seems happy now, however he gets emotional blackmail phonecalls off his mum, asking when hes coming home, giving the old aussie is great, but how can we cope with the uk, bad weather etc without you. My husband seems to enjoy life here, but I worry if he will inevitably succomb to the harrasment. I know others are in a similar position.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

You soon realise if a place is "right" I reckoned that it was ok for Aussies, but a Brit would find it rather boring/suburban.
where are you from in the uk? did you come to sydney, melbourne or somewhere else?
I reckon it would depend where you live - inner sydney is okay - but i couldnt live in adelaide. All those empty parks and total lack of nightlife (in comparison) would do my head right in.
i bloody miss london though.

Last edited by wombatboy; Apr 6th 2004 at 7:15 am.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:19 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dawn Adams
And heres my 2 cents worth.

I am married to an English bloke, whom I have been with for a lot longer than 4 years, we meet in Aus and I have visited UK with him twice, once for a year. I enjoyed the place as a holiday but I would not want to live there. You soon realise if a place is "right" I reckoned that it was ok for Brits, but an Aussie would find it rather boring/suburban.

Anyway my husband seems happy now, however he gets emotional blackmail phonecalls off his mum, asking when hes coming home, giving the old aussie is great, but how can we cope with the uk, bad weather etc without you. My husband seems to enjoy life here, but I worry if he will inevitably succomb to the harrasment. I know others are in a similar position.
LOL!!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:33 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

my god. another classic example of someone sharing his point of view and being told they are wrong. what do you care if he couldnt live there for. doesnt it just mean one less whinging pom to worry about.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:43 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Ceri
Are you pulling our plonkers?

"Kong " spelt another way= Gonk

<jargon> /gonk/ 1. To prevaricate or to embellish the truth beyond any reasonable recognition. In German the term is (mythically) "gonken"; in Spanish the verb becomes "gonkar". "You're gonking me. That story you just told me is a bunch of gonk." In German, for example, "Du gonkst mir" (You're pulling my leg).

cheers

Anyway if you're not - I can't believe how your wife will base her decison on "the weather" and her nagging mum ( P.s - it's actually very sh*t weather today in "sunny" Brisbane - raining and overcast)
Me finks its the Twonk Twoll

See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=222129

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
my god. another classic example of someone sharing his point of view and being told they are wrong. what do you care if he couldnt live there for. doesnt it just mean one less whinging pom to worry about.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
He is being told he is wrong or a Troll

What is more interesting is the tone of the replies

G
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:57 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Grayling
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
He is being told he is wrong or a Troll

What is more interesting is the tone of the replies

G
When ya see shells..........think eggs

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 6th 2004, 8:09 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think.......chill out peeps.

We live in a democracy, everyone is free to air their own views. One persons view certainly won't impinge on my ability to make my own decision, enjoy life and do the things I want to.

Kong (novel) decided that was his view, mine is totally different. So is over 250,000 people (the approx number) who apply to migrate to Oz every year. Maybe more maybe less, I am no staty.

Either way, a point of view and thats all it is. I am Melbourne bound and who knows, may well find my own little nubile, tanned, extremely fit ex home and away star (aren't all Oz girls like that......hold on sorry forgot to remove the rose tints again) and then I may not.

Roll on Melbourne, roll on Oz and those that want to diss it, feel free. It won't affect my decision(s).

Njoy everyone.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:03 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Girl out of the country but country out of the girl?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ianj
Personally I think.......chill out peeps.

We live in a democracy, everyone is free to air their own views. One persons view certainly won't impinge on my ability to make my own decision, enjoy life and do the things I want to.

Kong (novel) decided that was his view, mine is totally different. So is over 250,000 people (the approx number) who apply to migrate to Oz every year. Maybe more maybe less, I am no staty.

Either way, a point of view and thats all it is. I am Melbourne bound and who knows, may well find my own little nubile, tanned, extremely fit ex home and away star (aren't all Oz girls like that......hold on sorry forgot to remove the rose tints again) and then I may not.

Roll on Melbourne, roll on Oz and those that want to diss it, feel free. It won't affect my decision(s).

Njoy everyone.
Here, Here, IanJ, everyone is entitled to their opinion, afterall if we were all the same we would be boring.

We all have to try to find out if we like something. I have been to Oz three times and absolutely love it, but I do have thoughts sometimes about whether I won't like it once I'm there etc etc.

Will just have to see I guess, and cross that bridge if and when I get to it.

Good luck to everyone and there decisions.

Roll on 16th June

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.