Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

American Style Fridge - to take or not?

American Style Fridge - to take or not?

Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Question American Style Fridge - to take or not?

We have a new American Style Fridge/Freezer - the wide ones - was just wondering whether it would be OK to take with us. Have read some of the thread & some say that the UK/European ones won't stand up to the Ozzie climate.

Any ideas

Cheers

Pockygoes
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

When we had the 5 removal quoters round one of them said not to bother taking the fridges as they are not set to the same heat capacity as in OZ. The other 4 said nothing of it! Mind you if your house has air- con how hot will it be inside?

We are bringing our Fridge Freezer as a spare and will stick it in the utility room or garage as a 2nd fridge.

I can't answer your question, but I have a feeling the consensus will be leave it behind.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

European white goods are a major selling or renting point in Aussie homes - if you advertise a kitchen with SMEG, AEG, Miele, etc appliances, then it is a real plus point. (Snobbery value!)

So do these European companies make Europe and Australian versions of their frdiges? I bet they don't - but would be interested to know! Besides, the fridges you buy in the UK are surely the same as the ones you get in Italy, Spain or Greece??

My friend in the UK has exactly the same Fisher & Paykel fridge that we have in Oz - I say it's the same - it is identical in looks but maybe there is a different 'engine' inside??
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:33 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: American Style Fridge - to take or not?

Originally posted by pockygoes
We have a new American Style Fridge/Freezer - the wide ones - was just wondering whether it would be OK to take with us. Have read some of the thread & some say that the UK/European ones won't stand up to the Ozzie climate.

Any ideas

Cheers

Pockygoes
I would advise you to bring as much as you can! It was our biggest regret selling everything. It has cost us far more to replace our things than it would have been to bring them!

If you have anything half decent then bring it. Everyone else we know who bought fridges/freezers over say thiers are working fine.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take it, we bought a house with no fridge freezer and went to buy one. Expect to pay upwards of $2000 for a good big one, they call them 'side by side; ones. You've got far to many other expenses to worry about as it is..

Mash..

Any ideas

Cheers

Pockygoes
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Any ideas

Cheers

Pockygoes
If you have room in your container take it. A good fridge over here does set you back a few bob. Most of the single fridges (freezer/ fridge.. around the 5 ft tall mark) cost around a $1000 and up for a decent one, the big double fridges like said by mashiraz do start around $2000... I 've got my eye on which costs around $3,500 (silver) at the moment.

I don't know what part of Aus you're going to, but here in Brisbane in the summers you need all the fridge space you can get. I tend to put everything in the fridge during the warm weather.. vegies the lot.

If it is no good .. it will come in handy for the garage as a second fridge just for all the drinks - and boy do you need that in the summer.

Most people say don't bring your fridge... I've always said bring it (I left my fridge behind.. and regretted it) I have currently got two fridges .. one for food and one for the drinks... you need it during the summer.

cheers

P.s as for fridges don't transport well.. not in my experience (you just let them settle for a few days before turning them on). I had a mate who brought his fridge with him from the UK to Singapore (we were living in Sing at the time.. sing is more humid and is constantly around 32/34 12 months of the year.. unlike Aus which only gets it for a couple of months) . His fridge was ok.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

firdges are rated as
climate class either t st n -or variations on the theme

however this does mean that uk fridges will struggle as we are rated as n -normal which is the lowest rating
yes they have bigger 'engines'

the comment about 'air conditioning keeps it 'normal' begs the question is the a/c usually kept on 24/7 even if you go away for the w/e or holiday etc?

i would recommend a reasonable quality thermometer as the hotter climes can make you feel the fridge is cooler than it a actually is

keep all foods below 3 deg's c as statistics show 'mum' is the biggest food poisoner around

cheers

richard
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies guys - I think that we will probably take it with us - as you say - if nothing else we can use it in the garage for drinks otherwise. We will be buying a thermometer too - to check that it is performing OK - even if it tides us over for a while before it gives up the ghost.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to import old frides (the type taken away when a new one is delivered by Currie,Comet etc.) from the UK to Zimbabwe by the container load, had very few problems with them on the other end, Climate much drier than the coastal areas of Aus but much the same temperature, houses ther do not have aircons in general, I would take mine to Aus if I had a decient one.
Few Tips, Transport them standing up, put silica jel to help stop the smell, leave them standing upright and still for at least 24 hours before switching them on on the other side.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Someone recently posted that a couple of tea bags inside it are a good substitute for Silica gel!!

Do the packers supply Silica or shall I try the Tea Bags?!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

try http://www.magichem.co.uk/sachets.htm

I have heard that you can use uniodised salt in a pourious paper bag.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Why not turn the thermostat up or down. (Never understood why in a fridge a higher number means a lower temperature).
After all electricity is much cheaper in Australia. I've never run any fridge at full coldness in the UK because the milk gets icebergs in it.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Originally posted by migrantoz
Why not turn the thermostat up or down. (Never understood why in a fridge a higher number means a lower temperature).
After all electricity is much cheaper in Australia. I've never run any fridge at full coldness in the UK because the milk gets icebergs in it.

basically because the thermostat is a switch to maintain correct internal temperature.
turning the stat down (or higher) won't make the fridge more efficient and suddenly start to work.

thus if you find that the fridge is struggling to get down to temperature -say- number 3 setting why will it suddenly get down to number 5 because you turned it up??

most people around the world have very little idea (unless it's thermometer is factory fitted) how cold/warm their fridge is unless it's freezing the food or it's going off (which is too late either way....)

take it but get a thermometer if it doesn't keep food below 5 deg's (at least -i prefer 3 deg's'c) bin it or fill it with stubbies..

cheers

richard
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:24 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Any ideas

Cheers

Pockygoes
No dont take it do not listen to them....now I will take it off your hands for £50, how does that sound? and I could pick it up tomorrow

I always wanted one of those fridges..I am jealous
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Views have completely changed on this site! Most people used to say don't bother taking it, now itseems to be the other way

What about freezers, we were going to sell our upright one, but are open to changing our minds if the view is that it will still work out there properly. It is 2 years old and a Frost Free version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.