Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ambulance (Sydney)

Ambulance (Sydney)

Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice
Default Ambulance (Sydney)

Unfortunately we were in the position of having to call an ambulance over Easter weekend. Thankfully all is well now but somebody (an aussie) asked me how much the ambulance was? We havent paid anything yet, or received a bill -- can anyone give me an idea as to whether we will be billed and how much it is likely to be.

Cheers!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:07 am
K80
Just Joined

K80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ambulance (Sydney)

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Unfortunately we were in the position of having to call an ambulance over Easter weekend. Thankfully all is well now but somebody (an aussie) asked me how much the ambulance was? We havent paid anything yet, or received a bill -- can anyone give me an idea as to whether we will be billed and how much it is likely to be.

Cheers!
Hi
Sorry to hearthat you needed an AMBO hope all's well.
My son got knocked off his cycle a while back and the driver called the ambo's he was taken to local A&E dept. few weeks later approx 4-6 week we recieved a bill from the NSW Ambulance Service for $300 with a % reduction if we paid by 28 days. Luckly our medicare covers Ambulance transportation.

Hope that this helps
Regards K80

PS my son was fine but got an ear bashing from me cause he was not wearing a helmet.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:02 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

As a Paramedic in the U.K., I can tell you this is definitely the way the U.K. service should go. Emergency Ambulances should be used to treat and transport those with life threatening injuries and conditions to hospitals. The majority of the British public now seem to think of the Ambulance service as a free ride and abuse the service and it's staff while at the same time demanding an 8 minute response.
If we had this system in the U.K. it would I believe it would see us eventually being able to cope with the demand and provide those who actually NEED an Ambulance one in 8 mins.
Dr's and hospital staff are also just as much to blame in the way they abuse the service.:curse::curse:
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:06 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

With reference to the two original posts. I am not saying that you did not deserve an Ambulance. I am saying that in general a big % of the calls that we in the UK attend are TAXI jobs.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by K80
Hi
Sorry to hearthat you needed an AMBO hope all's well.
My son got knocked off his cycle a while back and the driver called the ambo's he was taken to local A&E dept. few weeks later approx 4-6 week we recieved a bill from the NSW Ambulance Service for $300 with a % reduction if we paid by 28 days. Luckly our medicare covers Ambulance transportation.

Hope that this helps
Regards K80

PS my son was fine but got an ear bashing from me cause he was not wearing a helmet.
Thanks for that K80. Just gives me an idea. Guess who's off shopping for ambulance cover today??????
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:35 am
K80
Just Joined

Originally Posted by swigski
With reference to the two original posts. I am not saying that you did not deserve an Ambulance. I am saying that in general a big % of the calls that we in the UK attend are TAXI jobs.
Hi swigski
I totally agree with you on this one 110%. As a nurse in the U.K., who worked in both A&E then in WIC's (Walk in Centres & minor injury units) and have worked along side ECP's. I can't tell you the number of times I've advised and recommended that a patient attend the local A&E department to then be asked by the patient or their family
'How do I get there I’ve no money?' They have then left the WIC and called 999 from their mobile. There was nothing I could do except apologise to the crew and advised them in my professional opinion that the patients did not require the services of the paramedics as the nature of the injury/illness did not require paramedic transportation. You should have the backing of your Medical Director after the patient has been assessed to say no or then present the patients with a bill.
It is hardly surprising that the service cannot meet response targets, when you have no option but to transport the patient as a glorified highly equipped well-trained TAXI.

Oh and while i'm on my soap box so to speak...............patients who arrive in A&E, WIC's MIU's via the paramedic service or ambulance service DO NOT NECESSARILY JUMP THE QUEUE AND GET SEEN QUICKER. THEY ARE STILL TRIAGED REGARDING THE PRESENTATION OF THEIR CONDITION NOT CAUSE TEY CAME VIA AN AMBULANCE.

This same principle goes to the fire service who get called out to non essential 999 calls they should be able to bill the for non urgent 999 calls.

Last edited by K80; Apr 1st 2008 at 2:40 am. Reason: SPELLING ERRORS
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:28 am
Banned

This same principle goes to the fire service who get called out to non essential 999 calls they should be able to bill the for non urgent 999 calls.

In the UK I believe they now do. For instance if you start a fire in your back garden and a by-passer phones the fire brigade out, I think I'm right in saying that you'd get a bill.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:46 am
K80
Just Joined

Originally Posted by swigski

In the UK I believe they now do. For instance if you start a fire in your back garden and a by-passer phones the fire brigade out, I think I'm right in saying that you'd get a bill.
I was under the impression that there is a policy inplace for the fire service to issue a 'bill' for non essential call outs. However, not many regional HQ's follow up on this as routien.But yet again I may be wrong..............
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:47 am
K80
Just Joined

Originally Posted by K80
I was under the impression that there is a policy inplace for the fire service to issue a 'bill' for non essential call outs. However, not many regional HQ's follow up on this as routien.But yet again I may be wrong..............
I'm talkng about the UK by the way & not here in Oz . s yet haven't neede to call on the fire service yet..............
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by K80
I'm talkng about the UK by the way & not here in Oz . s yet haven't neede to call on the fire service yet..............
Hope you're not tempting fate K80!!!!