Am i really this bad??

Wikiposts

Am i really this bad??

Old Jul 1st 2003, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Gra.B
Here goes,

'Oh Dotty! You are soooooo right! Wonderful post!' (in the style of Audrey Forbes Hamilton of To the Manor Born fame)

Do I pass?
Living in OZ we dont get all the new shows like that. Hopefully it will be released soon tho.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

Hmm, hot thread eh?

The general subject of threads being hijacked/offensive posts, etc. seems to draw a range of preferred solutions.

As has been said before, the reality is that there is no foolproof way to stop nuisance/offensive/personal posts or thread hijacking. There are several ways of minimising their impact though. I am not prepared to let a minority of people affect my use of what is, generally, a useful source of information on probably the biggest adventure I'll ever have.

I can't stop people posting nuisance/offensive/personal stuff but I can ignore them. That way I (usually) only get to see the posts that contain useful information, not drivel. I don't mind negative opinions, providing they are based on fact and are not merely rants about how bad life is in Oz. It'd be nice to read a few "This bit is crap... but this bit is good.." type posts. If people have had bad experiences then yes, I'd like to know about them so that I can either modify my expectations or prepare to deal with similar situations. I don't mind people helping me to form a realistic view of my intended new home and lifestyle. The aspect that I find distracting and unneccessary is the style of delivery of the information. Is it really neccessary to resort to insults or putting people down in order to make a point?

How about a bit of objectivity or balance to people's posts? If people can't (or won't) do this then, rightly or wrongly, they may be perceived as not being worth listening to. Maybe they aren't here to help people or share knowledge and experiences. Maybe they're here to either play silly games, vent their frustration because things haven't worked out for them and they aren't adult enough to accept that, or maybe they just aren't sufficiently developed in their communication skills to deal with adult situations. Or maybe they are just misunderstood and would welcome the opportunity to correct the negative image that they seem to have attracted. I use the word "maybe" deliberately because I don't know peoples motivation for contributing to the forum. These are just thoughts that spring to my mind from regular reading of the posts on this forum. If people find that the cap fits, I'm sure they'll wear it.

To the people thinking of leaving the forum, please don't. If everyone left because of intimidation from other posters then a good thing will have been wrecked by a small minority. Please don't let this happen. Stuff on here is only a bunch of words - rise above it. Try the ignore feature. If people do this then we at least have a chance of minimising the damage that the whinge brigade & hijackers do.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

very well said slotty, i totaly agree with all you have said.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
Your're are going on and on about this one aren't you Stoney. When you do it, its 'banter', when somebody else does it, its 'insults'.
I only insult the insulters chippy
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just recieved a multitude of very supportive pm's. After starting this thread i have decided that i will no longer rise to any of the "you know who's" baits, i joined this site to gather positive and negative points on the possibility of living in oz and usefull tips, what i didn't expect was to chat to so many really nice people, some who i intend to meet up with when i get to perth.

I will continue to use this site, I will not be scared off. i have never expected migration to be all a bed of roses, and i have heard nothing that will put me off, in fact i am more determined because at the end of the day i am a good person, who is happy and confident with my self and would rather have good friends in my life rather than "associates and collegues" or people who just put up with me.

Good luck to you all and thank you for your support and kind words

Ellen1
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ellen1
I have just recieved a multitude of very supportive pm's. After starting this thread i have decided that i will no longer rise to any of the "you know who's" baits, i joined this site to gather positive and negative points on the possibility of living in oz and usefull tips, what i didn't expect was to chat to so many really nice people, some who i intend to meet up with when i get to perth.

I will continue to use this site, I will not be scared off. i have never expected migration to be all a bed of roses, and i have heard nothing that will put me off, in fact i am more determined because at the end of the day i am a good person, who is happy and confident with my self and would rather have good friends in my life rather than "associates and collegues" or people who just put up with me.

Good luck to you all and thank you for your support and kind words

Ellen1

Hi Ellen.

Good on you. Just remember that there is nothing wrong with rising to a post that you dissagree with.
I Read most on this forum but I then do my own research.
If there is false or missleading quotes I dont hesitate to point it out. Even if I do get jumped on.

PC