Am I mental?

Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Gaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the rough
Default Am I mental?

Ok - Heres the deal, Ive got an economics degree from a good British University and nearly three years experience working as a bond broker in New York so Ive got a well rounded CV for applying for jobs in banking and finance.
Im thinking of getting the one year WHV and then getting to Sydney, taking any job and just hitting as many agencies and recruiters in Finance and Banking as I can to try and get a real job and sponsorship for a more permenant visa.
Im looking for a new life and career away from the UK.
Am I mad? Does anyone know anyone who has successfully gone on a WHV and turned it into a more permenant situation?
Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I mental?

Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker
Ok - Heres the deal, Ive got an economics degree from a good British University and nearly three years experience working as a bond broker in New York so Ive got a well rounded CV for applying for jobs in banking and finance.
Im thinking of getting the one year WHV and then getting to Sydney, taking any job and just hitting as many agencies and recruiters in Finance and Banking as I can to try and get a real job and sponsorship for a more permenant visa.
Am I mad? Does anyone know anyone who has successfully gone on a WHV and turned it into a more permenant situation?
wow that's a tall order for sure, not sure if i'm mental meself for living here an' all that so i'm no help..... but only you know the answer matey...if you've no family commitments ie schools etc why not try it for a couple of yrs...nothing's permanent in life
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep you're mental all right. So that should put you in good stead then

On a more serious note there might be a few things you have to consider before you make a quantum leap to the big country.

Firstly, to work in finance over here you may have to have certain Aussie recognised certs. UK financial certs may not be deemed appropriate by Aussie Finance institutions so you'd have to find out if what you have will enable you to work here? I currently work in banking and since Nov last year I have had to take 3 exams in order to enable me to do my job. From what I've experienced so far, the Aus financial industry is highly regulated and before they'll even let you speak to a customer you have to jump through certain hoops.

Secondly, if you do need to change any of your certs re the above, how long will it take you? Reason I ask is because you may not reach your earning potential whilst you have to retrain[you may have to be employed by a financial institution to do so?]

Thirdly, consider the fact that as a temp resident, financial institutes may see you as a liability rather than an asset if at the end of the day they have to support you through the above and still you will only potentially be with them for a max of a year. Of course they might look at it long term and offer you sponsorship...but again it's a gamble and one that most might rule out?

Fourthly, even with your qualifications you have to consider that most will probably require Aussie market experience. You may be required to start at a lower level than you already are [you may not ......but you need to be aware this could be a possibility]. How would this make you feel given you only have year so probably not enough time to move up the ladder?

Fifthly, if you don't get taken on by a company then potentially you have given up everything in UK, only to have to return in a years time. And then you've had a year out of UK market and potentially lost your earning / promotional potential during this year [although you could catch this up no doubt on your return].

Six, don't assume you'll find the right job in the right organisation straight away. Work culture is very different here and it may also take some months for you to get this right. And then when you do find work, you need to demonstrate your worth in order that they may take you on longer. Given you only have a year to do this, it's a tall order.

In summary, it's not an impossible task and given you are mental, it's very possible However given the qualifications you have, I'd personally try for a perm visa, maybe skilled Ind 136? This will enable you to work out a longer term strategy in terms of career prospect. You will also not be under any undue pressure and this will provide you the time to work out a career plan in the long run. The alternative to this is that you get a temp visa, play it by ear, do whatever tickles your fancy and don't plan on any great career adventure i.e take the view it's a year out to play surf board and sow your wild oats

Whatever you decide....it's gonna be one helluva adventure and roller coaster ride....so good luck m8
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Fourthly, even with your qualifications you have to consider that most will probably require Aussie market experience. You may be required to start at a lower level than you already are [you may not ......but you need to be aware this could be a possibility]. How would this make you feel given you only have year so probably not enough time to move up the ladder?
Hello

All good points, and remember in this year you can only work for the same employer for three month stints on a WHV

Regards
Abby
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

All good points, and remember in this year you can only work for the same employer for three month stints on a WHV

Regards
Abby
Oh yes. Good point Abby. Forgot about that

Another reason perhaps to consider a perm visa
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:08 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker
No you're not made at all mate. With your experience you can afford to take a year off and go back to it, even if you spent a year doing something totally non banking related. I can't speak for broking but I know a few Accountants who came out here and works for large financial institutions on WHV contracting and they were then sponsored to stay.

Either way, you've got nothing to lose - life's too short.

Paul.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:13 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm amazed you've done so well with a name like that. Do the yanks not have a sense of humour?