Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I eligible for LAFHA ?

Am I eligible for LAFHA ?

Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Am I eligible for LAFHA ?

Hi,

I was granted my skilled independent migration visa last April and am considering moving over. I just want to ask whether I can claim LAFHA on that visa ?

Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I eligible for LAFHA ?

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Hi,

I was granted my skilled independent migration visa last April and am considering moving over. I just want to ask whether I can claim LAFHA on that visa ?

Thanks
No. If you have a 175 (permanent) visa then Australia will be your home. LAFHA is for those living away from their home for work.

Unless of course you settle in Sydney (for example) and your work requires that you live in Alice Springs (also for example). In that case your work would require you to live away from your usual home.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all

Bugger. I wish I had not applied for the visa now, given that the Wife only wants to go to Aus for a couple of years.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Bugger. I wish I had not applied for the visa now, given that the Wife only wants to go to Aus for a couple of years.
That statement suggests you intend to live away from home on a temp basis. Can you prove it and get an employer to support your claim for LAHFA?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That statement suggests you intend to live away from home on a temp basis. Can you prove it and get an employer to support your claim for LAHFA?
By applying for a permanent visa the OP has already demonstrated that they intend to live in Australia permanently.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
By applying for a permanent visa the OP has already demonstrated that they intend to live in Australia permanently.
Agreed. You can't just say I have a PR visa but I am not really sure about it therefore I want LAFHA...
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Agree but the ruling could be interpreted in many ways. The visa status, whilst indicating in the intention to remain permantly could be irrelevant like it is with residency, and citizenship if the receipient can demonstrate their intention to return home. I wonder if it's'worth talking to a LAHFA consultant?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Agree but the ruling could be interpreted in many ways. The visa status, whilst indicating in the intention to remain permantly could be irrelevant like it is with residency, and citizenship if the receipient can demonstrate their intention to return home. I wonder if it's'worth talking to a LAHFA consultant?
Not sure. Because if that was an avenue then everyone on a PR visa could say, oh I am just trying this out but we are probably going back soon, and hence get LAFHA.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not sure. Because if that was an avenue then everyone on a PR visa could say, oh I am just trying this out but we are probably going back soon, and hence get LAFHA.
I think I read somewhere once that if someone continued to own a home in another town or country or has other ties that indicates the intention to return home they could be eligible. Anyway, the OP would need an employer to support it.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I read somewhere once that if someone continued to own a home in another town or country or has other ties that indicates the intention to return home they could be eligible. Anyway, the OP would need an employer to support it.
Well I own a home in another town or country, my whole family is there and indeed I could very well decide to return in the future. But I think huge numbers of PR visa holders could say this, therefore I am pretty sure that it just won't wash.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well I own a home in another town or country, my whole family is there and indeed I could very well decide to return in the future. But I think huge numbers of PR visa holders could say this, therefore I am pretty sure that it just won't wash.
Maybe there's'a large number of PR's' eligible for LAHFA. Maybe?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Maybe there's'a large number of PR's' eligible for LAHFA. Maybe?
Apparently as soon as any application is made for a permanent visa when you are on a temp and claiming LAFHA it will stop.

I see what you are saying but considering the above I doubt if someone holds a perm visa they would accept that the person is only temporary.

Speculation of course.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:36 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by steen1976
Apparently as soon as any application is made for a permanent visa when you are on a temp and claiming LAFHA it will stop.

I see what you are saying but considering the above I doubt if someone holds a perm visa they would accept that the person is only temporary.

Speculation of course.
However, PR and citizens are eligible for LAFHA as well. Provided they are working away from their home and their employer agrees to adminster it. i.e. when my husband was offered a job in Perth but our home was in Adelaide.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steen1976

Speculation of course.
Us amateur lawyers - all good fun

In the situation you mention the person is changing their visa to permanent therefore indicating the intention to be permanent. In the OP's case they already have a permanent visa therefore not changing their intention.

LAHFA seems to be all about intentions.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

although.. juat to add this to the mix
I am a NZ citizen.. so get a special catagory visa.. which has no time stipulation.so i am not a PR.. but as it stands.. dont ever have to leave

I got my work to give me a 4 year contract.. and they administer LAHFA for me.
wife and kids are here.. but we do own a home in NZ.. and only rent here

so its not always black and white

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.