Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am i doing all this too far in advance???

Am i doing all this too far in advance???

Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Am i doing all this too far in advance???

I really want to move out to Australia with my partner and two children. I'd like to go for at least two yrs. Problem is, for one reason or another we cant move for possibly two yrs (mainly financial reasons). I've already done lots of research into the different areas in Australia for us to go for my partners work. He's a gas fitter. We dont want to go without a job lined up for him. After doing some research I know he's going to struggle without his plumbing side and may have to do some courses before we go (another reason for the wait). My partner thinks I'm looking into all this far too early but I think I need to know as much as poss now as ther is sooooo much to know and do. And to be honest, i'm really ecited and want to be there now!

Does anyone else have any similar experience? Preferably in my favour. You know, any 'yes you are doing the right thing checking things out now' so I can read them to OH.
Thanks
Nicola
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Am i doing all this too far in advance???

Originally Posted by nicola27
I really want to move out to Australia with my partner and two children. I'd like to go for at least two yrs. Problem is, for one reason or another we cant move for possibly two yrs (mainly financial reasons). I've already done lots of research into the different areas in Australia for us to go for my partners work. He's a gas fitter. We dont want to go without a job lined up for him. After doing some research I know he's going to struggle without his plumbing side and may have to do some courses before we go (another reason for the wait). My partner thinks I'm looking into all this far too early but I think I need to know as much as poss now as ther is sooooo much to know and do. And to be honest, i'm really ecited and want to be there now!

Does anyone else have any similar experience? Preferably in my favour. You know, any 'yes you are doing the right thing checking things out now' so I can read them to OH.
Thanks
Nicola
I'd say you are doing the right thing, by looking into things now. You can't do enough research! Especially job wise. Keep up the good work, it will all pay off.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I'd say you are doing the right thing, by looking into things now. You can't do enough research! Especially job wise. Keep up the good work, it will all pay off.
Thanks nu-shooz. Gotta headache already and i've only been doing this for a month. Will keep going regardless of OH comments. I think he's far too laid back he dont see the hurry.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Absolutley you are doing the right thing - you will be amazed at how long it can take to get everything in order - so keep on with your plans.

Good Luck - keep us posted with your progress.

Jackie
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Hi, we are in the same boat. Me my OH and two children are (hopefully) going to be there in 2 years. We would like to go sooner but i have only just finished my first year at university and we are moving (as we speak) into my mother in laws house to save some much needed money. We have already started the process, OH has just passed paper competency at Vetassess and will (hopefully) be doing his practical in October. Its a very sloooooooowww process trying to emigrate so i think your doing the right thing by starting now. We have been researching for months now, u can never do enough research. Good Luck
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Am i doing all this too far in advance???

Thanks for all your comments. Made me feel better about spending so much time doing this. Read the comments to OH, think he's on my side now. No that it matters too much, i''ll keep on regardless.
Sonn have you looked into cost yet? Air tickets, visas, shipping, etc etc. Would appreciate any help and guidance.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Thanks for all your comments. Made me feel better about spending so much time doing this. Read the comments to OH, think he's on my side now. No that it matters too much, i''ll keep on regardless.
Sonn have you looked into cost yet? Air tickets, visas, shipping, etc etc. Would appreciate any help and guidance.
Everyones visa different, we are applying on my OH skills, he is a bricklayer (175 visa). A rough guide to costs are about £900 to Vetassess (to assess OH skills, Yours assessment may be different) $2010 for 175 visa, £800 approx for medicals (thats for me, OH & 2 kids), Around £1500 for container (if you pack it yourself), prob around £3000 for flights. This is a rough guide and everyones is different, if you type things in the search button it should bring up previous threads talking about all of the above.
I have used the internet for all my research and this website is brill for finding things out. I will try and help as much as possible as people on here have helped me too.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:12 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

My partner thinks I'm looking into all this far too early but I think I need to know as much as poss now as ther is sooooo much to know and do. And to be honest, i'm really ecited and want to be there now!
I'll second all the "you're doing the right thing" comments, and add:

Doing the research now has some real benefits. The first is that it's a focus for all your enthusiasm: rather than sit around wanting to go but unable to do anything about it, you can invest that energy and drive into Finding Stuff Out.

The second benefit is that the more you find out, the more prepared you are. The more you read about other people's experiences, the more you can add to your own To-Do list and the fewer things you'll forget or be surprised by. I don't think you can ever have enough information.

And finally: read the negative posts as well as the positive (taking both with liberal pinches of salt). You don't have to take what anyone says at face value, but it can help you to stop seeing Oz through rose-tinted glasses and be realistic.

Cheers
b
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benlast
I'll second all the "you're doing the right thing" comments, and add:

Doing the research now has some real benefits. The first is that it's a focus for all your enthusiasm: rather than sit around wanting to go but unable to do anything about it, you can invest that energy and drive into Finding Stuff Out.

The second benefit is that the more you find out, the more prepared you are. The more you read about other people's experiences, the more you can add to your own To-Do list and the fewer things you'll forget or be surprised by. I don't think you can ever have enough information.

And finally: read the negative posts as well as the positive (taking both with liberal pinches of salt). You don't have to take what anyone says at face value, but it can help you to stop seeing Oz through rose-tinted glasses and be realistic.

Cheers
b
Good Post
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Nicola
If I hadn't researched early, I would most certainly have done the wrong Teaching Training Qualification. I was encouraged to do one route, quicker and recognised here, however I insisted I did the one that is recognised in OZ.

So no, its good to check your doing the right thing, you don't want to waste a year doing the wrong thing!