Am I crazy?!

Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Elijahsmamma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I crazy?!

Hi, sorry if posting in wrong place but I am new on here. I am a midwife in the UK and seriously considering relocating to australia. The issue is, I have 6 children! They are 16,14,13,13,10 and 2. Question is, am I being crazy even thinking about it? My husband is a school sports coach and work is sparse in the UK. If I'm not being totally crazy.........where's the best place to relocate to with teenagers?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I crazy?!

Hi, and welcome to BE
First thing to look at is how to get a visa - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ You need to look into whether you are going to try and get sponsorship, or come independently - the latter is preferable as you can live where you like and work at what you like. You also need to look into getting registered with AHPRA - lots of threads about that in our nursing forum.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Best place to relocate to? Depends what you want from life; without knowing your family interests, hobbies etc its impossible to answer, and of course there is schooling to think about, but having no kids I will leave that to other people!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You would probably be OK for a visa and a job but I dont fancy your DH's chances in that role - is he a 4 year trained teacher? Even then, there are many more teachers than there are vacancies except for subjects like maths and science in the places that people actually want to live and work.

Then, you have a 16 yr old - not a good time to be moving a kid into the education system, far better let them finish with A levels and then think about Aus uni (A levels travel well to Aus) - you might want to leave the eldest behind to finish education and keep all their options open (UK or Aus unis without getting into paying international fees).

If you do take the plunge, dont burn all your bridges - take a career break, dont sell the house etc.

Anywhere you can get a job is likely to be a good place if you are desperate to get into Australia. Good luck
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elijahsmamma
Hi, sorry if posting in wrong place but I am new on here. I am a midwife in the UK and seriously considering relocating to australia. The issue is, I have 6 children! They are 16,14,13,13,10 and 2. Question is, am I being crazy even thinking about it? My husband is a school sports coach and work is sparse in the UK. If I'm not being totally crazy.........where's the best place to relocate to with teenagers?

Thanks in advance for any replies
I can't see why having 6 children in Australia is any more or less crazy than having 6 children in UK to be honest.

There is no such thing as "best for teenagers", there are teenagers all over Australia living quite happily and probably everyone thinks where they are is best for teenagers. To help you decide where to live you need to think about the real points of difference, not emotive and subjective opinions on where is "best". Real points of difference would include things like climate, house prices, availability of work. Research those and you should narrow down your options.

Regarding teaching in Australia, I am not a teacher but I have read more times than I can remember about how difficult it is to find posts in Australia. If you think work is sparse in UK, you will almost certainly find it even sparser in Australia.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of private schools in Sydney crying out for sports coaches to take sessions/training for squads - not full time positions, but you can pick up short term contracts here and there. Also lots of things for teens to do.
What areas of sport does your OH take??
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

We moved our boys when the eldest was 4 months out from taking his Gcse's, and while it was a leap of faith, it was the best thing we did. My thoughts are that by the time he's done a levels he's most likely settled with a girl and won't want to come to Oz!!
My cousin has just done almost the same thing. His daughter did her Gcse's, came here, went into year 11 and is about to complete year 12. Settled like a duck to water.