am i crazy

Old May 20th 2006, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

elllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default am i crazy

i wont to move to australia even though ive never been there id be leaving a nice house good jobs family becouse i think it will be safer for my kids and im pi**ed off that the uk just let anybody in and the level of violent crime is it same sh*t just sunnier ?

Last edited by Pollyana; May 21st 2006 at 2:59 am. Reason: Language
Old May 20th 2006, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i crazy

Originally Posted by elllis
i wont to move to australia even though ive never been there id be leaving a nice house good jobs family becouse i think it will be safer for my kids and im pissed off that the uk just let anybody in and the level of violent crime is it same shit just sunnier ?

Basically yes. There is nowhere on earth that doesn't have crime, unless you live on an island by yourself that is.

It would depend on what area you live in etc, just like it does in the UK.

I've never set foot in Australia either, but it is extremely foolish to think that it is crime-free and that you will be immediately better off with a better paid job, bigger house and less work. It's going to be hard work, there will be things that you don't like and things you do like, just like here.

Good luck if you decide to go for it, but you need to be realistic in your expectations if it's going to work for you. Thinking any different will bring you a very big disappointment.

Don't mean to sound blunt, but there's no point me saying it's all roses, when it may not be. If your going to go for it then at least have your eyes wide open before you do.
Old May 20th 2006, 7:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: am i crazy

Originally Posted by WendyC
I've never set foot in Australia either,

Blimey Wendy you do a good impression of someone who has!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 20th 2006, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Blimey Wendy you do a good impression of someone who has!

Cheers

Buzzy

I just made myself aware of all the facts before spending all my money on geting a visa. By speaking to my Aunt, I got info on practical stuff and the rest I got from either here or elsewhere online.

Google is a wonderful invention IMO
Old May 20th 2006, 8:16 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

My eye's are wide open and i still want to go So does that make me crazy

God i hope so
Old May 20th 2006, 8:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: am i crazy

Originally Posted by elllis
i wont to move to australia even though ive never been there id be leaving a nice house good jobs family becouse i think it will be safer for my kids and im pissed off that the uk just let anybody in and the level of violent crime is it same shit just sunnier ?
Yes, you're crazy.

If you've already got a decent job, a loving family, a nice house and a reasonable standard of living, you have no socio-economic reason for emigrating to Australia and you could very well be disappointed when you get there.

If violence is a problem in your area, move to another area in which violence is not a problem.

A handful of irritating government policies and the general incompetence of the Blair administration do not constitute sufficient reasons to emigrate.

I suggest you visit Australia first, and get some idea of what's waiting for you on the other side. Then come back and don't leave the country until you have a very good reason to do so.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 20th 2006 at 8:24 pm.
Old May 20th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, you're crazy.

If you've already got a decent job, a loving family, a nice house and a reasonable standard of living, you have no socio-economic reason for emigrating to Australia and you could very well be disappointed when you get there.

If violence is a problem in your area, move to another area in which violence is not a problem.

A handful of irritating government policies and the general incompetence of the Blair administration do not constitute sufficient reasons to emigrate.

I suggest you visit Australia first, and get some idea of what's waiting for you on the other side. Then come back and don't leave the country until you have a very good reason to do so.
Vash, being Australian would you say Australia is as bad as the UK when it comes to violent thugs with attitude and illegal immigrants.
Bit blunt I know but I think this thread seems to be attracting an I've read about it so I will give you advice to help you decide your future kind of view.
lets face it anybody who hasn't been there shouldn't be giving advice on this topic because the advice there giving is very uninformed.
Old May 20th 2006, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sean trethewey
Vash, being Australian would you say Australia is as bad as the UK when it comes to violent thugs with attitude and illegal immigrants.
Bit blunt I know but I think this thread seems to be attracting an I've read about it so I will give you advice to help you decide your future kind of view.
lets face it anybody who hasn't been there shouldn't be giving advice on this topic because the advice there giving is very uninformed.

I'm in no way saying that the OP should make any decisions based on anything I have read.

All I was saying is that if they think there is no crime then they are going to be very disappointed.

I have talked to people in Australia about things like this and also found out as much info as I could on the internet.

All figures for crime can be found just by looking on google, along with almost anything else you need to know.

Australian Crime Statistics

UK crime statistics

I honestly can't understand anyone that doesn't research these kind of things before they go to the other side of the world. If it's important to you, then make sure you have the facts or as many of them as possible first.
Old May 20th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

I'm in no way saying that the OP should make any decisions based on anything I have read.

All I was saying is that if they think there is no crime then they are going to be very disappointed.

I have talked to people in Australia about things like this and also found out as much info as I could on the internet.

All figures for crime can be found just by looking on google, along with almost anything else you need to know.

Australian Crime Statistics

UK crime statistics

I honestly can't understand anyone that doesn't research these kind of things before they go to the other side of the world. If it's important to you, then make sure you have the facts or as many of them as possible first.
First of all I'm sorry if i offended you it's just that nobody is dumb enough to think there is no crime in Australia, also people ask questions to get advice yes i know they wont base there whole move just on one persons opinion but if they went going to listen to it they wouldn't ask, if people wanted stats they would look for them and I'm sure their aware of that, but lets face it stats aren't always a true reflection in society as not everybody reports crime as they know nothing will be done about it especially in the UK (first hand experience) i can't comment on Australia, as like you i have never been their even though my great aunt and best mate live there. I think questions like this are asked on Expats to get informed personal experiences from people who live or have lived there.
Old May 20th 2006, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First of all I'm sorry if i offended you it's just that nobody is dumb enough to think there is no crime in Australia, also people ask questions to get advice yes i know they wont base there whole move just on one persons opinion but if they went going to listen to it they wouldn't ask, if people wanted stats they would look for them and I'm sure their aware of that, but lets face it stats aren't always a true reflection in society as not everybody reports crime as they know nothing will be done about it especially in the UK (first hand experience) i can't comment on Australia, as like you i have never been their even though my great aunt and best mate live there. I think questions like this are asked on Expats to get informed personal experiences from people who live or have lived there.
No offence taken hun.

And yes you're right, there is nothing like personal experiences and I hope that some people post them. But the OP did come across as one of those "I'm moving cos there is no crime in OZ" posts. Which is ludicrous, whether you've been there or not.

I'm waiting for the "how much is lettuce" question TBH
Old May 20th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

No offence taken hun.

And yes you're right, there is nothing like personal experiences and I hope that some people post them. But the OP did come across as one of those "I'm moving cos there is no crime in OZ" posts. Which is ludicrous, whether you've been there or not.

Please dont get me started i couldn't care less how much lettuce costs as long as the beer is reasonable and cold
Old May 20th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Please dont get me started i couldn't care less how much lettuce costs as long as the beer is reasonable and cold

I see you have the same priorities as me then
Old May 20th 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

I see you have the same priorities as me then
Oooooo YES
Old May 20th 2006, 10:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: am i crazy

I'd like to answer your question in full - but I know that if I do, the usual suspects will turn up and start a fight, regardless of how positive or negative my answer appears.

Since I am unwilling to spark yet another conflict by inadvertently scraping the raw nerves of somebody else's superiority complex, I suggest you take a look at the statistics which WendyC has kindly provided.

I will say, however, that Australia's illegal immigrant problem is nowhere near as bad as the UK's, primarily because we have a consistent immigration policy and a firm but fair approach to asylum seekers.

The Home Office says that the UK currently contains about 500,000 illegal immigrants. (Source.)

I don't know how many illegal immigrants we have in Australia, but I know for sure that it's a lot less than the UK; probably in the tens of thousands.

In 2005, it was estimated that around 51,000 visitors to Australia were overstaying their visas. (Source.) Of these, the largest percentage (around 10%, or 5,000) were British, and the reason most often given for overstaying their visas was the simple fact that they were enjoying themselves too much to go home.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 20th 2006 at 10:19 pm.
Old May 20th 2006, 10:25 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

No offence taken hun.

wendy can you tell me how much lettuce costs in Oz please?

....twas only joking mate!

Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.