Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

am i being unrealistic

am i being unrealistic

Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default am i being unrealistic

Hi Guys

I could do with a little advice, My husband and I hope to Emigrate to Brisbane in April 06 by which time we should have around £9000/£10,000.

Were a young(ish) couple 25 and 28 and have no children.

We are not looking to buy a place straight away, but is this a reasonable amount to have behind us or should we save for longer and go later?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Laura
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:43 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: am i being unrealistic

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi Guys

I could do with a little advice, My husband and I hope to Emigrate to Brisbane in April 06 by which time we should have around £9000/£10,000.

We are not looking to buy a place straight away, but is this a reasonable amount to have behind us or should we save for longer and go later?

Thanks

Laura
The very First advice I can suggest is to carry TC's and not Dollars.
Second is to open an account once reaching the place.
Third to deposit all the TCs in your saving account.
This will help you to not carry all yours cash. Banking transactions becomes always handy.
I would save for the rainy day...or wait for the right oppurtunity to invist once I get a security of the Job in the new place...
Thats my view again...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: am i being unrealistic

Originally Posted by pandya_m
The very First advice I can suggest is to carry TC's and not Dollars.
Second is to open an account once reaching the place.
Third to deposit all the TCs in your saving account.
This will help you to not carry all yours cash. Banking transactions becomes always handy.
I would save for the rainy day...or wait for the right oppurtunity to invist once I get a security of the Job in the new place...
Thats my view again...
Hi Pandya_m

Umm thats not what I meant but thanks for the quick reply, what I meant was do you think we have enough money to emigrate and start life in Australia with that kind of money. So many people talk about having £60,000 or more and we dont have anywhere near that
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i being unrealistic

Hi Guys

Thanks

Laura
I would do it now. You will only gain reasons not do it and other things to spend your money on. Do it now as it only gets harder to do.
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks

Laura
We did it with a lot less (22 and 26, no kids), and we're doing fine.
We stayed with friends for 2 weeks first, and are now renting cheaply. Got jobs withing a month or two. Are now saving, slowly ( a lot of start up costs in the beginning, even though we shipped all our stuff).

Ship everything you have. MUCH cheaper than buying everything again!! I'm absolutely positive.

Good luck
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura
I'm moving back to Brisbane and my English boyfriend, Matt, is emigrating. We are taking about £5000 with us! We don't have jobs to go to, although we have got ball rolling on the job hunting front. I have friends and family over there to help us with accommodation when we get there. Me and Matt are 25/26 and have no kids.
So according to me, I think you'll be fine aiming for that
Good luck.
Jenny
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worzel
I would do it now. You will only gain reasons not do it and other things to spend your money on. Do it now as it only gets harder to do.
thanks for that, its what i wanted to hear!!!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Simone
We did it with a lot less (22 and 26, no kids), and we're doing fine.
We stayed with friends for 2 weeks first, and are now renting cheaply. Got jobs withing a month or two. Are now saving, slowly ( a lot of start up costs in the beginning, even though we shipped all our stuff).

Ship everything you have. MUCH cheaper than buying everything again!! I'm absolutely positive.

Good luck

thanks for the words of encourangement
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

I won't be going to Aus with more than a few grand either. Having said that, I know that a major expense for many when they arrive is buying furniture and putting up a deposit for a place to live. I've heard folks on here advising people to bring everything with them, despite the cost of shipping. Up to you really.

Do you have jobs to go to?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hi Laura
I'm moving back to Brisbane and my English boyfriend, Matt, is emigrating. We are taking about £5000 with us! We don't have jobs to go to, although we have got ball rolling on the job hunting front. I have friends and family over there to help us with accommodation when we get there. Me and Matt are 25/26 and have no kids.
So according to me, I think you'll be fine aiming for that
Good luck.
Jenny
you guys sound in a very similar position to us, im australian although been in England since i was 9 and my husband is english and your going to brisbane too. When are you guys going?
Not started the job thing yet as another year to go.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Hello!

I won't be going to Aus with more than a few grand either. Having said that, I know that a major expense for many when they arrive is buying furniture and putting up a deposit for a place to live. I've heard folks on here advising people to bring everything with them, despite the cost of shipping. Up to you really.

Do you have jobs to go to?
no jobs to go to not in aus for another year yet, reassuring to know not everyone emigrating is minted
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

no jobs to go to not in aus for another year yet, reassuring to know not everyone emigrating is minted
It is reassuring for me too! There are folks here who will be able to live in huge mortgage free houses when they get there! I'll be lucky if I can afford a wee shack in the outback, LOL!

Best of luck anyhoo! Karma on its way.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonyk38
It is reassuring for me too! There are folks here who will be able to live in huge mortgage free houses when they get there! I'll be lucky if I can afford a wee shack in the outback, LOL!

Best of luck anyhoo! Karma on its way.
wow thanks for the karma, not sure what it is all about but I think I like it.

Me and steve will prob living in a cockroach ridden dump for quite some time (shouldnt mention insects, might get certain people started again lol) but as long as we get there who cares.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

wow thanks for the karma, not sure what it is all about but I think I like it.

Me and steve will prob living in a cockroach ridden dump for quite some time (shouldnt mention insects, might get certain people started again lol) but as long as we get there who cares.
Karma is measured by the number of wee blue boxes you have under your user name. You've now got your first!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

you guys sound in a very similar position to us, im australian although been in England since i was 9 and my husband is english and your going to brisbane too. When are you guys going?
Not started the job thing yet as another year to go.
I emigrated to Aus with my family when I was 10, came back here for uni in 96, met my boyfriend and we've finally sorted out his defacto spouse visa. We leave on April 25th. 19 more sleeps! I'm from Redcliffe, but not really sure if I want to return there!
If your husband is applying for the spouse visa, it's very similar to Matt's de-facto spouse visa. Though I suppose you probably won't have to supply as much evidence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.