Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I being realistic?

Am I being realistic?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Am I being realistic?

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi

(2) Is $1000 (dollars) a week a realistic sum to live on? I've researched and I reckon this is about right for the cost of living. This is based on:
$250 weekly rent for a 2 bed unit in HB
$250 food & alcohol a week for myself & Mr Kiwi (no kids)
$100 a week gas & electricity
$50 a week for broadband & landline phone
$50 a week for PAYG mob
$100 a week for car insurance & petrol for smallish car
$200 a week for "other" (eg, entertainment, contents insurance)
I + girlfriend live on $80 a week food. I class booze as more a discretionary purchase if I have the money will buy.
$206 a week for 1 bedroom flat (although in Melbourne)
$5 a week water bill
Haven't been sent an electricity bill yet
Don't have a landline just a mobile which I don't often use
Petrol depends what you do with the car. Petrol went to $1.60 a litre last year so I reduced car usage and cycled everywhere. Now it's around $1 a litre. On a busy week I'd probably use about 30 litres - although I still cycle to work or if i'm going into the city I take the train since its cheap over the weekend.
Car insurance is about $300 a year, but on top of that you have road tax which is near $600 a year
I usually budget about $100 a week for doing other things
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys - had never thought of ambulance cover! Thats obviously not covered by Medicare then! How much is that per year?
I'm going to need an ambulance at this rate - so many things to think of!!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

$110 for our family of five...but it has to be paid in one go and is really important cos a trip in an ambulance can cost 1000's.
Well except if you live in subsidy central AKA QLD, then you get it free when you pay for ya leccy
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks hevs, definitely going to get ambulance cover then. Any names of companies that provide it would be great if you have them, many thanks. Can add it to my list of things to do.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:16 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

It strange...here in Vic we have victorian ambulance cover. I can't seem to find the same for W/A and can only find links through the private companies, but they do seem to do ambo cover only policies.
W/A peeps? Is that right?
http://www.medibank.com.au/Health-Co...FQ9JagodqUqFVw
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:00 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
It strange...here in Vic we have victorian ambulance cover. I can't seem to find the same for W/A and can only find links through the private companies, but they do seem to do ambo cover only policies.
W/A peeps? Is that right?
http://www.medibank.com.au/Health-Co...FQ9JagodqUqFVw
We have one with NIB, last year paid about $70 for the year, due to be renewed in March so can tell more for current pricing.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, will look in to it.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:08 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Hi Mrs Kiwi,

Yes it is possible to live on $1,000 a week easily. We spend approx $200 on shopping - some weeks more some less, you know how everything runs out at once.

$250 for all bills, water, rates, car insurance etc only watch free TV. this leaves $500 for anything else.

We are not great drinkers but do have a box of wine a week sometimes two.

There may not be many jobs advertised for Hervey Bay but if you look on Seekers and do a search for Maryborough there are a lot more and it isn't that far to travel. There were quite a few when I looked last weekend.

Carpenters and plumbers seem to be flat out at the moment but other trades are very quite but they tell me this is quite usual in January and things don't pickup until February.

Good luck,

Gillian
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great, thanks, Gillian.

You've made me feel so much better.

With the recession in the UK and in Oz I'm trying to imagine the worst case scenerios - if we can't get jobs for a while how long will our savings last AND if we do get jobs, whats the minimum we need to earn?