Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Always check your shoes before putting them on.......

Always check your shoes before putting them on.......

Old May 27th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Always check your shoes before putting them on.......

:scared:
Originally Posted by Jacqui
As if that wasn't bad enough, here is a picture of something I picked up by mistake, thinking it was a bit of twig, and I dropped it pretty damn quick, I can tell you. Then I rushed off to get the camera. Turned out to be a stick insect, harmless.

Then last week, I was cleaning up my son's pigsty of a bedroom and told him to get under the bed and pull everything out. Sitting in his plastic Beyblade stadium, was a scorpion. What a relief he didn't put his hand in and take out the Beyblades without looking, he might have been stung. I don't think the Aussie ones are venonmous, but can make you very ill.

I worried about spiders and snakes before we moved here, no-one told me about the cockroaches, mosquitoes, scorpions, caterpillars (don't let the kids pick up caterpillars, they're painful too). And beware the Bindii that grows in the grass, spiny little weed that sticks in your foot, like cactus spines, jeez we've all hopped about wondering what the heck we trod on.

Anyway, there's that much wildlife around here, I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade my camera and get one with a decent zoom lens. It will be wildflower season soon, so that will make for more pleasant pictures!

hi, thanks for that,i think i will go out and buy flip flops(open toed sandals) for everyone
just showed my 12yr old and she thought it was cool and she says she likes spiders etc.
a bit different to my 10 yr old, who was getting the washing in yesterday, when a money spider who had made a home in one of the pegs landed on her body.
THE SCREAMS COULD BE HEARD FOR MILES. :scared:
Old May 27th 2005, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
My sister tells me that the hunstmen are house friendly because they eat all the smaller insects and mossies.

I feel the huntsman picture on the loo roll is due an appearance ?!?
Old May 27th 2005, 5:57 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I feel the huntsman picture on the loo roll is due an appearance ?!?
Would that be this one

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Always check your shoes before putting them on.......-huntsman.jpg  
Old May 27th 2005, 7:20 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Would that be this one

Jon
Holy s**t!!! :scared: I am quite happy to concede defeat
Old May 27th 2005, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Would that be this one

Jon
LOL, that's the little fella! ....
Old May 27th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be this one

Jon
I think if I saw that I'd be grateful to already be sitting down, if you get my meaning!
Old May 27th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough

I know this is going to sound like a daft question but how common is it to come across creepies that can do you some harm (animal species not man!) are they a part of every day life?
Old May 29th 2005, 3:22 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, ...I am arracnophobic and have really taken things slowly here (6 weeks here) but was doing really well...being able to look at a distance at big spiders...but I had never met a huntsman. That is untill I was at a fair and my son needed the loo - so I took him to the local public loo. There he was sitting on the wall of the enterance (the hairy fella not my son that is!). I could not go in and called my hubby over...as he came over my son, who was inside the loo said camly - oh look Mum that one was just a baby, look at this one inside! I squirmed head to toe. Now this loo was just over a main road and I was now waiting by the roadside calmly but heart beating heavily and inside squirming. As hubby arrived, he made sure son was finished and on his way past the one on the wall, he blew it! It went ballistic and I flipped into phycosis! I ran in front of all the traffic and almost killed myself - I didn't even recall seeing the cars - just needed to get away. I shook for half hour after! So, hunstman can be pretty deadly too!
Old May 29th 2005, 4:04 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by noregrets
I know this is going to sound like a daft question but how common is it to come across creepies that can do you some harm (animal species not man!) are they a part of every day life?
Yes they are everywhere, every day is a battle for survival down here, its man VS nature, kill or be killed. As night falls all the venomous spiders and snakes crawl into suburban Aussie households looking for human flesh, we fight them off with flame throwers, Then theres the man eating crocs that come out of the river Yarra in Melbourne and Sydney Harbour in the morning looking for people commuting to work to eat. Then in the afternoon out comes the wild dingoes hunting in packs through the suburban streets looking for people who aren'nt quick enough to find shelter in their cars or houses. :scared:

Last edited by wombat42; May 29th 2005 at 4:07 am.

Old May 29th 2005, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been so scared of things like this and some days I think when I get there I wont cope with all these creepy crawlies :scared: but this week I have been very brave and positive but now I am back to square 1 and scared again yikesssssssss!!! so thank you very much

I liked your pics really, thanks for sharing them.
Julie
I think you've previously mentioned you were heading Toowoomba way!. Too cold for redbacks out there.....-2 at Oakey last week (30kms from Toowoomba)
Old May 29th 2005, 5:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Yes they are everywhere, every day is a battle for survival down here, its man VS nature, kill or be killed. As night falls all the venomous spiders and snakes crawl into suburban Aussie households looking for human flesh, we fight them off with flame throwers, Then theres the man eating crocs that come out of the river Yarra in Melbourne and Sydney Harbour in the morning looking for people commuting to work to eat. Then in the afternoon out comes the wild dingoes hunting in packs through the suburban streets looking for people who aren'nt quick enough to find shelter in their cars or houses. :scared:
LOL, you forgot the sharks & box jellyfish wombat .

Sharpy, I heard it was -5 somewhere on Friday night :scared: .
Old May 29th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Always check your shoes before putting them on.......

Originally Posted by DianneH68
what, and get even bigger? :scared: :scared:
Yep, then they go for any other wildlife around the house, cats, dogs, children. :-)
Old May 29th 2005, 6:08 am
wombat42

In the last 20 years around 40,000 Australians were killed in Road accidents while one Australian was killed by a venomous spider bite.

Old May 29th 2005, 7:28 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

In the last 20 years around 40,000 Australians were killed in Road accidents while one Australian was killed by a venomous spider bite.
Yeh, but I bet at least 10,000 of them were running away from spiders at the time!
Old May 29th 2005, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough

Very very funny what else can I say ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.