Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all you who download torrents...

For all you who download torrents...

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:10 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For all you who download torrents...

Be careful, ISP's in Australia are starting to clamp down.

This is a letter one of my customers was sent yesterday via 'recorded' mail! ... He reckons he DL's 2 - 5 movies a month and nothing else!

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:25 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: For all you who download torrents...

that's an arms race they simply cannot win.

If ISPs start tracking and cracking down, it just means people will move to more secure methods of file sharing. A few $$ a month buys a VPN connection and then everything you do is encrypted beyond your ISPs knowledge.... You're then free to continue as before.....

A simpler way of avoiding letters like that is just to use private trackers instead of public ones. I've only ever had cease and desist letters when I've needed to source content from public trackers, but I haven't needed to do that for a couple of years now.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DadAgain
that's an arms race they simply cannot win.

If ISPs start tracking and cracking down, it just means people will move to more secure methods of file sharing. A few $$ a month buys a VPN connection and then everything you do is encrypted beyond your ISPs knowledge.... You're then free to continue as before.....

A simpler way of avoiding letters like that is just to use private trackers instead of public ones. I've only ever had cease and desist letters when I've needed to source content from public trackers, but I haven't needed to do that for a couple of years now.
Yeah altho I was given an address recently where I can get a decent free VPN but never tried. I only DL UK stuff these days from the likes of UKNova and TheBox, and am led to believe these are ok ...
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:07 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

UK Nova was shut down a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by derab; Sep 22nd 2012 at 8:12 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by derab
UK Nova was shut down a couple of weeks ago.
It was indeed
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

I don't download, but i do stream. If they clamp down on that I will simply cancel my internet. I honestly only use it at home for entertainment, all the important stuff I can do from my work computer.