Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old May 10th 2007, 11:00 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just one thing to bear in mind, the process is changing in July and the TRA are currently making provisions for the licencing of certain trades to be undertaken in the some countries before migration.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...dbulletin2.pdf

Trades will be: General Electrician, General Plumber, Air con Mechanic, Motor Mechanic, Bricklayer, Carpenter, Joiner, Electrrical Powerline Tradesmen and Cable Jointer.

Countries: India, Sri Lanka, UK, South Africa and Phillipines
Wendy,
The TRA does not issue licences, it's a Federal Government department responsible for assessing skills, Licencing is dealt with by State Governments.
Is that changing on July 1st?
Your post implies that the TRA are going to issue licences to the trades people listed in the countries above?
Old May 10th 2007, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Wendy,
The TRA does not issue licences, it's a Federal Government department responsible for assessing skills, Licencing is dealt with by State Governments.
Is that changing on July 1st?
Your post implies that the TRA are going to issue licences to the trades people listed in the countries above?

They are a little vague on the details just now, but yes that is what they implied in their Easter bulletin

On 10th February 2006, the council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to new arrangements to make it easier for migrants with skills to Australian standards to work as soon as they reach Australia.

COAG tasked the TRA to establish and implement by July 1st 2007, a single pre-migration offshore assessment process which meets migration, qualification recognition and occupational licencing requirements to Australian standards for migrants.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...errevised2.pdf

I'm thinking that they will be offering the licencing courses in the UK at training centres, so that when you arrive you can put in an application straight away rather than having to attend the courses here, or even letting you apply for a licence before you arrive.

Last edited by Wendy; May 10th 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:48 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

They are a little vague on the details just now, but yes that is what they implied in their Easter bulletin

On 10th February 2006, the council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to new arrangements to make it easier for migrants with skills to Australian standards to work as soon as they reach Australia.

COAG tasked the TRA to establish and implement by July 1st 2007, a single pre-migration offshore assessment process which meets migration, qualification recognition and occupational licencing requirements to Australian standards for migrants.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...errevised2.pdf

I'm thinking that they will be offering the licencing courses in the UK at training centres, so that when you arrive you can put in an application straight away rather than having to attend the courses here, or even letting you apply for a licence before you arrive.
It looks to me like the TRA has finally had the kick up the arse it needed The way I read the update [see below]is that; instead of jumping through two hoops i.e one for passing the TRA for migration purposes and then another for passing TRA again once onshore for trade licencing they are to be combined allowing skilled migrants in the listed occupations to commence licence applications as soon as they arrive.

COAG tasked TRA to establish and implement by 1 July 2007, a
single pre-migration offshore assessment process which
meets migration, qualification recognition and occupational
licensing requirements to Australian Standards for migrants.

No mention of the compulsory three day business course that's required here in QLD. If that course is available offshore then migrants can expect to be licenced here in QLD within a matter of weeks of arrival rather than the months it takes at present. Either way it's a step in the right direction as the hardest part of the licencing is actually getting skills recognised. All we need now is for all the states/territories to get their act together and come up with an Australian wide set of standards for the whole process.
Yay for the TRA, though not before time
Old May 11th 2007, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No mention of the compulsory three day business course that's required here in QLD. If that course is available offshore then migrants can expect to be licenced here in QLD within a matter of weeks of arrival rather than the months it takes at present.

I can't really comment on other trades, or really other states as I'm not familiar with their process, but for electricians it will mean a big difference if they can do the AUS/NZ wiring rules course before they arrive.

At the moment it's very difficult for many to get a position as an assistant because not many people want to know if you haven't got a licence. If they can do the course in the UK whilst they are still in employment it will make a huge difference because it means they can work for an employer straight off the boat, so to speak (or plane )

I doubt whether they will extend all this to include the business course you need to do to be able to be a contractor, I'd guess that would have to be something they do when they arrive if they want to set up on their own (well that's how it works here is SA anyway).
Old May 11th 2007, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Either way it's a step in the right direction as the hardest part of the licencing is actually getting skills recognised. All we need now is for all the states/territories to get their act together and come up with an Australian wide set of standards for the whole process.
It's got to happen I would have thought, it would make tradesmens life's a lot easier, but then since when has the goverment cared about what people want.
Old May 11th 2007, 3:47 am
zad
Just Joined

zad is an unknown quantity at this point

This is something everyone seems to get mixed up about. We have found out that if you sit your required Wiring Rules in south australia, it is valid all over australia. But if you sit your W / R . In, ie QLD then it is only valid in QLD. When my hubby was a peer tech, last month sitting his.there were people from all other states, due to this reason. Also in S.A. it only takes about 4 - 5 days to do it. It can take longer but if you feel confident they let you sit it when you are ready.
He also did his green card in 1/2 a day.
Peer tech is a private collage ( but works with the S A Gov ? ) they do , Plumbing, Electrical, Electrical and Refrigeration vocation Education, Employment & Training.
tel 08-8348 1200
As for the TRA well ! , we sent it of the first time 6 weeks ago , to have it returned as all the documentation had been certified by an english solicitor.(the same as the first TRA that was passed for immigration.) I had to go to the local police station to have it re certified. Its been gone 3 weeks now still no news. So i went into adelaide's trades Gov help service , to ask how long it would take. He said it should only take 22 days BUT thats if it gets passed. Yes apparently some that get passed for immigration can get refused when applying for Your TRA. Talk about putting the wind up you. This again only happens if you dont fill in the form the same as the first one. Thank god we photo-copied it. So be aware photo copy all docs you send off so you can fill it in again the same.
Old May 11th 2007, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zad
As for the TRA well ! , we sent it of the first time 6 weeks ago , to have it returned as all the documentation had been certified by an english solicitor.(the same as the first TRA that was passed for immigration.) I had to go to the local police station to have it re certified. Its been gone 3 weeks now still no news. So i went into adelaide's trades Gov help service , to ask how long it would take. He said it should only take 22 days BUT thats if it gets passed. Yes apparently some that get passed for immigration can get refused when applying for Your TRA. Talk about putting the wind up you. This again only happens if you dont fill in the form the same as the first one. Thank god we photo-copied it. So be aware photo copy all docs you send off so you can fill it in again the same.
I can't understand that because we sent everything in, certified by a UK solicitor and it was passed

If they don't pass it have a word with the tutor at PEER, he may be able to help and speak to the guys at the TRA (he offered for a few people when my hubby was on his course.)
Old May 11th 2007, 4:06 am
zad
Just Joined

zad is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't understand that because we sent everything in, certified by a UK solicitor and it was passed

If they don't pass it have a word with the tutor at PEER, he may be able to help and speak to the guys at the TRA (he offered for a few people when my hubby was on his course.)

That's the TRA . Do as the like, When i phoned them to question it , they said it was just something the admin staff had picked up on, and it could have been worse. If it had got to a examiners desk, it could have been refused they we would have had to pay to re do it. But yes my hubby was told if any probs the tutor would help. I also spoke with a lady in the stni visa department at the welcome meeting. She said if any probs to call her too as they have this all the time for one thing and another. She did also told me they were sorting it out with people getting their Tra before they came out. Which will be a good thing.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:04 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really excited about the prospect of getting the the licencing courses sorted before we come out - it will take such a huge pressure off us if we know Dale can get work sooner rather than later over there. We both have nightmares about him being out of work as he never has been!
Old May 11th 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of

Hi

My OH is a Carpenter and Joiner. Does anyone have any further info on gaining a licence before we arrive in Brisbane in August as been looking at the whole process and looks mind boggling how to obtain one? We have our PR visa so this is the next thing we need but am at a loss where to start. Someone please guide me in the right direction. PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks

Janet
Old May 11th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

All in all is sounds excellent especially when they are screaming out for certain trades - the proof will be in the pudding as they say though
Old May 12th 2007, 10:57 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
All in all is sounds excellent especially when they are screaming out for certain trades - the proof will be in the pudding as they say though
lets keep everything crossed
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Sometime ago I mentioned O/H was going to apply for fastrack tafe course so that he can apply for a licence in order to go self-employed.

We are just in the process of sending off the forms to tafe for Cert. 3 in Construction Carpentry, the course is $2200 - $3500 (by the way tafe will not confirm the exact price until $250 is paid!). Wondering if other NSW tradies have gone through this same process.

Thanks

Nikki
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:16 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi all

Sometime ago I mentioned O/H was going to apply for fastrack tafe course so that he can apply for a licence in order to go self-employed.

We are just in the process of sending off the forms to tafe for Cert. 3 in Construction Carpentry, the course is $2200 - $3500 (by the way tafe will not confirm the exact price until $250 is paid!). Wondering if other NSW tradies have gone through this same process.

Thanks

Nikki
My husband is a carpenter Nikki so I'd be interested in how that goes if you wouldn't mind keeping me updated?

Can't believe they won't tell you the price until you've paid $250!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Took me 13 months to get my Restricted Electrical licence here in Perth. Loads of money spent and courses to attend. Pain!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.