Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

Wikiposts

For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

Old May 8th 2008, 12:16 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
Forgot to mention a curry house has opened in Brunswick street as well
The best thing about The Valley is "Tara Thai". Try the seafood Lhaksa. It's like a liquid blow-job.....
Old May 8th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Thnaks to everyone for your advice. Will def organise some sort of meet when I arrive.

Im beginning to like the sound of this Valley. Coming from Govan in Glasgow I reckon it would be a walk in the park. Put it this way, I didnt find Kings Cross in Sydney one little bit intimidating, I loved it, especially the edgy atmosphere.

My biggest worry is what someone has already pointed out, too many backpackers and nightclubs. If we avoid living near them then I dont think I'lL have a problem.

I love the fact it has so many bars and resteaurants. I appreciate that some of these bars will be horrendeous but I dare say there will be a few good ones not jam-packed with 18-25 year olds.

I also have a fear about the suburbs, remember when I lived in Perth we lived away out in the middle of nowhere and the feeling of isolation was dreadful.

Cheers everyone, feeling a little bit more positive now.

Jamie
Old May 8th 2008, 8:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybound

My biggest worry is what someone has already pointed out, too many backpackers and nightclubs. If we avoid living near them then I dont think I'lL have a problem.
Hi Mate,

I genuinely don't notice that many backpackers around in the Valley. Most backpackers don't spend much time in Brisbane on their travels anyway, and I think they more frequent the CBD bars.

Besides I wouldn't single out the backpackers, the locals can be just as bad!

Cheers, B
Old May 8th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi Mate,

I genuinely don't notice that many backpackers around in the Valley. Most backpackers don't spend much time in Brisbane on their travels anyway, and I think they more frequent the CBD bars.

Besides I wouldn't single out the backpackers, the locals can be just as bad!

Cheers, B
As an ex-backpacker I didnt mean any malice towards them, its just that the only thing yiu are thinking about is going out and getting drunk most of the time, when in a city.

You wouldnt have wanted to have lived next-door to me and the folk I was travelling with when I was over there the last time, beleive me.

Cheers

Jamie
Old May 8th 2008, 8:23 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in the Valley?

It's all worth it chimmy burger

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having recently had our office moved into the middle of the Valley.......I felt safer travelling on the tube than going through Brunswick Street Station, and the trains were less crowded. We now have a discussion in the office every day about the variety of drugs, beggars and Big Issue sellers that we encounter on the way to work, and stepping over drunks/druggies blocking access to the lifts is a real pleasure. I'm currently looking for a job in Inala as I think I might feel safer there......
Old May 8th 2008, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Thnaks to everyone for your advice. Will def organise some sort of meet when I arrive.

Im beginning to like the sound of this Valley. Coming from Govan in Glasgow I reckon it would be a walk in the park. Put it this way, I didnt find Kings Cross in Sydney one little bit intimidating, I loved it, especially the edgy atmosphere.

I love the fact it has so many bars and resteaurants. I appreciate that some of these bars will be horrendeous but I dare say there will be a few good ones not jam-packed with 18-25 year olds.

I also have a fear about the suburbs, remember when I lived in Perth we lived away out in the middle of nowhere and the feeling of isolation was dreadful.

Jamie

The Valley is a doddle compared to Govan, have a look at Springhill too, one street away, close enough for CBD and the Valley.

M
Old May 8th 2008, 9:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Where abouts in the Valley?

It's all worth it chimmy burger
Unofficially known as Fort Dilbert, officially its called TCB. Easily accessible via the goods lift which opens directly off of the street with no security whatsoever.......don't you love the government.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:01 pm

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I work very close to you, in fortune court, near happy high herbs

The food in the valley is well worth it though (try the donuts from the coffee shop in the TCB).

Unofficially known as Fort Dilbert, officially its called TCB. Easily accessible via the goods lift which opens directly off of the street with no security whatsoever.......don't you love the government.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:49 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I work very close to you, in fortune court, near happy high herbs

The food in the valley is well worth it though (try the donuts from the coffee shop in the TCB).
Thats the only bright spot I've found so far actually- one bite and it was like being back in Brighton where office visitors used to bring bags of Asda doughnuts. Pleasant surprise, not greasy, and definitely the best doughnut I've had in a looong time.
However that doesn't make up for being moved away from most of my mates, and a fantastic workplace in Kedron, into a building which is still full of builders, electricians and dust, and which has led to my commuting time tripling!

As for "happy high herbs" - my colleagues and I have been offered several of them since the move
Old May 9th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Jamie
I think that the clubs are only open on a weekend anyway. We were in the Valley last weds and the bar shut up shop at 9.30pm Which was prob for the best as I was a bit sloshed already and had to get the train back to the Gold Coast! Felt safer then, compared too when I got the train home after work from Fenchurch St!
Old May 9th 2008, 10:21 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks

Well thats me, arrive in Brssy on July 18th.

Our friend out there wants to get a flat or a house in Fortitude Valley. I know that this is supposed to be a lively place but an old dear my dad knows said its full of junkies etc???

To be honest Im 36 now and really dont fancy living in amongst young, backpackers. Or are there some quieter parts of the area?

The first flat she got for us was in Wacol, but I said that was way too far out the way as we need to be handy for getting into the CBD for interviews etc.

Also while im on if any of you feel the need to tell me the things you love about Brissy would really appreciate it. Going through my "What have I done" period as reality hits.

Cheers

Jamie
Personally, I would avoid the Valley for reasons others have stated!

If I were looking to be near to the CBD, I would be looking at some of the apartment blocks on the river Nr to Eagle Street (about half way between the Valley and the City). Some very nice pads around circa $550 pw for a 2 bed with 1 car space.
Newstead, New Farm, Tenerife are all good as is Kangaroo Point and West End, just the other side of the river from the Valley.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:37 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Personally, I would avoid the Valley for reasons others have stated!

If I were looking to be near to the CBD, I would be looking at some of the apartment blocks on the river Nr to Eagle Street (about half way between the Valley and the City). Some very nice pads around circa $550 pw for a 2 bed with 1 car space.
Newstead, New Farm, Tenerife are all good as is Kangaroo Point and West End, just the other side of the river from the Valley.
Teneriffe is indeed a nice area,we have an apartment there and i had a quick reccie of my new pad(as of august)and i really liked that area.No scruffs/druggies/mad glaswegians/scots to be seen anywhere,few SOAPY lookalikes though,so not everything sound
Old May 9th 2008, 10:58 am

I worked in the city before so it's one less stop on the train

Just think yourself lucky the station is now open, it was a pain in the bum before.

I hear loads of people are moving out of that TCB building becuase the rent is too high.

Oh and try the Bank pizza on Wednesday and Thursday (half price) that might help make up for it as well

Thats the only bright spot I've found so far actually- one bite and it was like being back in Brighton where office visitors used to bring bags of Asda doughnuts. Pleasant surprise, not greasy, and definitely the best doughnut I've had in a looong time.
However that doesn't make up for being moved away from most of my mates, and a fantastic workplace in Kedron, into a building which is still full of builders, electricians and dust, and which has led to my commuting time tripling!
Old May 9th 2008, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

I worked in the city before so it's one less stop on the train

Just think yourself lucky the station is now open, it was a pain in the bum before.

I hear loads of people are moving out of that TCB building becuase the rent is too high.

Oh and try the Bank pizza on Wednesday and Thursday (half price) that might help make up for it as well
Half the station is still shut though, and as the eaiset route in for me is via the Ferny Grove line I have to change at Bowen Hills into the bargain! No ticket machines either Give me Victoria Tube Station any day!!
Yep, most of Brisbane Water have quit or are quitting the building - did a deal with the govt to flog their leases to us. Every time we meet an existing "inmate" they tell us a few more horror stories too - unreliable lifts, lack of security, unsafe floors (cos of the weight of files etc) plus the fire safety is dubious and although we've been in for nearly a month no-one has told us anything about evacuation or fire escapes
Old May 9th 2008, 1:28 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Half the station is still shut though, and as the eaiset route in for me is via the Ferny Grove line I have to change at Bowen Hills into the bargain! No ticket machines either Give me Victoria Tube Station any day!!
Yep, most of Brisbane Water have quit or are quitting the building - did a deal with the govt to flog their leases to us. Every time we meet an existing "inmate" they tell us a few more horror stories too - unreliable lifts, lack of security, unsafe floors (cos of the weight of files etc) plus the fire safety is dubious and although we've been in for nearly a month no-one has told us anything about evacuation or fire escapes
Hey POLLY incase of fire/earthquake,whip off yer bra hold straps in hands,instant parachute.It is now safe to open window and jump

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.