Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

Old May 8th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute
Default For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

Hi Folks

Well thats me, arrive in Brssy on July 18th.

Our friend out there wants to get a flat or a house in Fortitude Valley. I know that this is supposed to be a lively place but an old dear my dad knows said its full of junkies etc???

To be honest Im 36 now and really dont fancy living in amongst young, backpackers. Or are there some quieter parts of the area?

The first flat she got for us was in Wacol, but I said that was way too far out the way as we need to be handy for getting into the CBD for interviews etc.

Also while im on if any of you feel the need to tell me the things you love about Brissy would really appreciate it. Going through my "What have I done" period as reality hits.

Cheers

Jamie
Old May 8th 2008, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all those in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley?

Originally Posted by brissybound
Hi Folks

Our friend out there wants to get a flat or a house in Fortitude Valley. I know that this is supposed to be a lively place but an old dear my dad knows said its full of junkies etc???

To be honest Im 36 now and really dont fancy living in amongst young, backpackers. Or are there some quieter parts of the area?

The first flat she got for us was in Wacol, but I said that was way too far out the way as we need to be handy for getting into the CBD for interviews etc.

Also while im on if any of you feel the need to tell me the things you love about Brissy would really appreciate it. Going through my "What have I done" period as reality hits.

Cheers

Jamie
Trickytrees the person you want / need as he resides in the valley
Old May 8th 2008, 1:39 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

I have done some work with homeless people who have drug and alcohol dependancy issues and they all lived in Fortitude Valley. The reason they lived there was the easy supply of drugs.
Part of the strategy to break the circle was to find them accommodation out of the Valley.
It is certainly an interesting place and can be quite vibrant.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
I have done some work with homeless people who have drug and alcohol dependancy issues and they all lived in Fortitude Valley. The reason they lived there was the easy supply of drugs.
Part of the strategy to break the circle was to find them accommodation out of the Valley.
It is certainly an interesting place and can be quite vibrant.
Having recently had our office moved into the middle of the Valley.......I felt safer travelling on the tube than going through Brunswick Street Station, and the trains were less crowded. We now have a discussion in the office every day about the variety of drugs, beggars and Big Issue sellers that we encounter on the way to work, and stepping over drunks/druggies blocking access to the lifts is a real pleasure. I'm currently looking for a job in Inala as I think I might feel safer there......
Old May 8th 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

littlehobo75 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we first arrived Brisbane we stayed in a backpackers in Fortitude, my wife cried. Leave that area to the backpackers and trendy dance set!
Old May 8th 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Hi Folks

Cheers

Jamie
you could also try newstead and tenneriffe also james street precinct of fortitude valley, this area not so bad, bit trendy tho. emporium is a fairly new developement of shops cafes and apartments . stay away from mcwirters apartments...to much in the centre of the valley, noisy bars clubs etc. The valley is really split into two areas, the mall and entertaining area and the quieter james street area
Old May 8th 2008, 7:29 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't live in the Valley. Its basically a bit of a dump. Used to go to college there. Excellent for nightlife but at the same time, used to have to walk a few of the girls down to the train station after evening lectures as basically they were really worried about safety.

The reckoned I looked scarier than the drugo's and the tramps
Old May 8th 2008, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlehobo75
Leave that area to the backpackers and trendy dance set!
If you're not one of the above, I'd eb looking elsewhere.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

cookem is an unknown quantity at this point

Brissybound,

I live in the valley. Right in the heart of it. I have been in Australia 7 months now and living in the valley for 2 of them. I have been working in the valley for 7 months. For your info as it's pertinent to this post, I am male, 37 and consider myself street wise.

I have read all the posts here. Personally, I feel safer living here than I did living in Essex. The valley is only busy on a Friday and Saturday night and all the people are confined to a 1/2 mile radius around the clubs. The rest of the week is very quiet in my opinion. I've only ever seen one fight. There is a big police presence and a cop shop in the centre.

There are some homeless people that hang around the station and in the pedestrianised area. However, I have never seen any of them cause any trouble. I have never felt threatened once. I have only been approached by one of them and that was during the day time.

There are some good places to live in the valley. If you wanted somewhere a bit quieter but still in walking distance to the valley then try New Farm or Tenerife. Both are posh expensive areas though.

The only thing that does annoy me a bit about the valley is that there are a few piles of sick on the streets every now and again. Also for some reason there is alot of smashed bottles and a bit of rubbish down my street. Why the council don't get one of those motorised sweepers I don't know.

If you want an exciting life, then live in the valley. It's very easy to meet people here.

If you want to chat more then feel free to PM me. Or even if you want to meet up.

Matt
Old May 8th 2008, 10:49 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate, yep I live in the Valley and bloody love it! i'm a similar age (into my 30's) and married with no kids. I think it used to have a pretty bad reputation but I can honestly say I have never felt threatened. Compared to where I used to live when working in Manchester (border of Moss Side) its a bloody walk in the park. As for areas to live I would look over towards the border of New Farm (where I am) or down towards James Street (border of Tenerife) lots of trendy shops, bars and cafes but close enough to the action if you want to go out and only a short walk into the city. If looking for a place to live I would avoid the mall area and the area around the train station as they are loud and run down. If you want convenience/close proximity to the city/night life/cafes and eateries the Valley is a great location. It does have its draw backs that others have listed but I think the positives out way these.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks

Cheers

Jamie
Hi Jamie,

I think you would be far happier in New Farm or Teneriffe - just around the corner from the Valley, but a world away in terms of atmosphere. I'm often in the Valley late at weekends and the main entertainment area can be a pretty intimidating place IMO. I've seen so many fights & p!ssed up people basically just looking for trouble. Once I even saw a police car taken from right outside the police station and pushed into oncoming traffic on Wickham Street!! The taxi queue loved it though......helped em pass the time while waiting am hour for a cab! :curse:

The Valley can have pretty horrendous traffic during the day as well.

B
Old May 8th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cookem
Brissybound,

I live in the valley. Right in the heart of it. I have been in Australia 7 months now and living in the valley for 2 of them. I have been working in the valley for 7 months. For your info as it's pertinent to this post, I am male, 37 and consider myself street wise.

I have read all the posts here. Personally, I feel safer living here than I did living in Essex. The valley is only busy on a Friday and Saturday night and all the people are confined to a 1/2 mile radius around the clubs. The rest of the week is very quiet in my opinion. I've only ever seen one fight. There is a big police presence and a cop shop in the centre.

There are some homeless people that hang around the station and in the pedestrianised area. However, I have never seen any of them cause any trouble. I have never felt threatened once. I have only been approached by one of them and that was during the day time.

There are some good places to live in the valley. If you wanted somewhere a bit quieter but still in walking distance to the valley then try New Farm or Tenerife. Both are posh expensive areas though.

The only thing that does annoy me a bit about the valley is that there are a few piles of sick on the streets every now and again. Also for some reason there is alot of smashed bottles and a bit of rubbish down my street. Why the council don't get one of those motorised sweepers I don't know.

If you want an exciting life, then live in the valley. It's very easy to meet people here.

If you want to chat more then feel free to PM me. Or even if you want to meet up.

Matt
Have to agree Matt, I live in the Valley as well and have never really felt unsafe here..lots of police around and sure you see a few homeless, etc, but not really such a big problem as others seem to make out. I never have to drive here, walk everywhere, have a huge amount of coffee shops/ eateries around me and more seem to open every week. Always a buzz around here during the day, at night quiet as a mouse...I live down near James Street Markets. It doesn't suit everybody, but living in the suburbs is not for me, tried it and hated the fact everything was like a ghost town after dark. So just trying to give a bit of balance here. The Valley is the inner city ,warts and all, and even have friends of mine with young family who love it
Old May 8th 2008, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
Have to agree Matt, I live in the Valley as well and have never really felt unsafe here..lots of police around and sure you see a few homeless, etc, but not really such a big problem as others seem to make out. I never have to drive here, walk everywhere, have a huge amount of coffee shops/ eateries around me and more seem to open every week. Always a buzz around here during the day, at night quiet as a mouse...I live down near James Street Markets. It doesn't suit everybody, but living in the suburbs is not for me, tried it and hated the fact everything was like a ghost town after dark. So just trying to give a bit of balance here. The Valley is the inner city ,warts and all, and even have friends of mine with young family who love it
Forgot to mention a curry house has opened in Brunswick street as well
Old May 8th 2008, 11:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
Forgot to mention a curry house has opened in Brunswick street as well
Is that Mint? Comes recommended by Indian colleagues of mine.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Is that Mint? Comes recommended by Indian colleagues of mine.
yep, good tucker !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.