Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all those bitching about Perth

For all those bitching about Perth

Old May 4th 2006, 6:59 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all those bitching about Perth

[QUOTE=worzel]There seems to be a lot of bitching about Perth on here at the moment.

I just want to say I LOVE IT here.

Good on ya mate. Nice to hear some positive words - expect those on there way will also appreciate it.

Perth not our ideal location but we do plan to visit for a holiday. Just because we moved to Melbourne does'nt mean its suited for everyone. Where all different and have different priorities.

Enjoy your new life. If I run into you I'll buy you a beer

Kiwi
Old May 4th 2006, 7:13 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly can I just say I have NEVER been to Perth or even Oz for that matter, but shall be coming over for a look in June

I do read all posts about Perth, as that is where we 'think' we want to head to (but like I say I haven't even been yet so this could change). Of course I don't like reading the 'bad' bits about Perth but I understand they are things we need to know - but what is needed is balance. I can fully accept that people are not happy there, but I'm not going to know whether or not I will be until I'm there and have tried it - but I know if I really am so unhappy that I can't say anything good about it I will have to move - life is far too short to be unhappy and there would have to be some compromise so that we are all happy with it. I don't believe anyone lives somewhere that they are 100% happy with, where there's not one single gripe that they have about the place but I think you have to feel more positives than negatives and if you don't it's time to move.

The thing you have to bear in mind is that for those of us that are still in the UK going through the balls aching process of TRA etc - we're mostly up to our eyes in the stress and hassle of trying to have an opportunity to start a new life in Oz and it really is nice to read posts that make you think it's all worth it. We've started on this journey because we believe it is the best option for our son, we believe that we are giving him a fantastic opportunity by moving to Oz - but only time will tell.

So I hope you understand that for everyone of you who doesn't like to have your negative (for want of a better word) posts slated there are those of us who also hate to see the postive ones put down - the feeling of deflation is horrible!

I'm sure that no-one is trying to 'stop' us moving over there but sometimes that's how it feels.

I guess all we can do is go into it as informed as we can and to do that we must read the positives and the negatives as long as they are balanced honest views they are all relevant - so I guess a thank you to both sides is needed

Now let's stop arguing!
Old May 4th 2006, 7:24 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
At least you talk from experience. It's the outrage from those who are still in the honeymoon phase, or not even arrived that I don't understand. (which is why I had "experts" in quote marks)
Cheers Renth. I guess people want to believe the best of their proposed (or actual) new hometown. It's a huge investment to make, emotionally, psychologically and financially.

Those who are genuinely happy here, I am glad they are ahving such a positive experience, but I know full well how say 5 yrs down the track things can feel a lot different.
Old May 4th 2006, 7:29 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Its probably Dale Alcock or Dales bunch of Cocks as our friends now refer to them....
"Cock 'n' Dale" sounds like a pub in Ol' Blighty or a mutation of the chipmunks LOL
Old May 4th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Firstly can I just say I have NEVER been to Perth or even Oz for that matter, but shall be coming over for a look in June

I do read all posts about Perth, as that is where we 'think' we want to head to (but like I say I haven't even been yet so this could change). Of course I don't like reading the 'bad' bits about Perth but I understand they are things we need to know - but what is needed is balance. I can fully accept that people are not happy there, but I'm not going to know whether or not I will be until I'm there and have tried it - but I know if I really am so unhappy that I can't say anything good about it I will have to move - life is far too short to be unhappy and there would have to be some compromise so that we are all happy with it. I don't believe anyone lives somewhere that they are 100% happy with, where there's not one single gripe that they have about the place but I think you have to feel more positives than negatives and if you don't it's time to move.

The thing you have to bear in mind is that for those of us that are still in the UK going through the balls aching process of TRA etc - we're mostly up to our eyes in the stress and hassle of trying to have an opportunity to start a new life in Oz and it really is nice to read posts that make you think it's all worth it. We've started on this journey because we believe it is the best option for our son, we believe that we are giving him a fantastic opportunity by moving to Oz - but only time will tell.

So I hope you understand that for everyone of you who doesn't like to have your negative (for want of a better word) posts slated there are those of us who also hate to see the postive ones put down - the feeling of deflation is horrible!

I'm sure that no-one is trying to 'stop' us moving over there but sometimes that's how it feels.

I guess all we can do is go into it as informed as we can and to do that we must read the positives and the negatives as long as they are balanced honest views they are all relevant - so I guess a thank you to both sides is needed

Now let's stop arguing!
Well said flower, you come over here and find out for yourself.
I personally think about what we have got and NOT what we have not. We are so lucky. And I have good days and bad days, but i would anyway.
Some people are never happy, dont know why, but they could have it all and not be happy. If you are unhappy it does not matter where you live everything will seem horrible.
And before anybody says, oh well its easy for some, its certainly not been easy for us, we have had sad times in the last 16 months.
But wherever we live i just want our good health and happiness. We eat, sleep, keep warm , have days out, work hard, speak to family on a regular basis via web cam and telephone , Great stuff, just need to keep taking the tablets
Old May 4th 2006, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies

Now let's stop arguing!
Its good you can see why both sides are needed.

Thats how it should be anyway, the forums not just for people who have not arrived its also for expats who live here. Without those here no questions would get answered.

The people living here while answering questions should be able to post their real experiences about living here too and if they feel like discussing the not so great sides, it should be allowed without people going all huffy about what they dont want to hear. (not directing that at you). EG. Rising cost of living here is a big issue and if someone wants to discuss it, go ahead, people will only discover what people are saying when they arrive anyway.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:00 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

At least you talk from experience. It's the outrage from those who are still in the honeymoon phase, or not even arrived that I don't understand. (which is why I had "experts" in quote marks)
Spot on. Trouble is, its human nature to distance oneself from the said honeymoon period asap. Hence after 6 months, we see claims that a poster is out of the honeymoon period.

In my experience that period is not over until you've been here long enough so that everything about the place is normal and taken for granted...ie you stay out of the sun at all costs like a local without thinking about it and wouldnt dream of sunbathing on the beach...you no longer look at cockies and lorikeets and think.. "geez so much better than sparrows or starlings".... you take palm trees as just another tree..and you get pissed off with coconuts sprouting and taking root in your garden beds. Then, and only then can you claim to make truly valid comparisons. This takes several years, in my opinion.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you what this forum should be about - Australian lifestyle and culture. Keep all the boring emigration stuff on the immigration forum.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:07 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Well said flower, you come over here and find out for yourself.
I personally think about what we have got and NOT what we have not. We are so lucky. And I have good days and bad days, but i would anyway.
Some people are never happy, dont know why, but they could have it all and not be happy. If you are unhappy it does not matter where you live everything will seem horrible.
And before anybody says, oh well its easy for some, its certainly not been easy for us, we have had sad times in the last 16 months.
But wherever we live i just want our good health and happiness. We eat, sleep, keep warm , have days out, work hard, speak to family on a regular basis via web cam and telephone , Great stuff, just need to keep taking the tablets
I can imagine it must be tough - life is what you make it though eh
Old May 4th 2006, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you what this forum should be about - Australian lifestyle and culture. Keep all the boring emigration stuff on the immigration forum.
But then whats 'the Barbi' for?
Old May 4th 2006, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Thats how it should be anyway, the forums not just for people who have not arrived its also for expats who live here. Without those here no questions would get answered.

The people living here while answering questions should be able to post their real experiences about living here too and if they feel like discussing the not so great sides, it should be allowed without people going all huffy about what they dont want to hear. (not directing that at you). EG. Rising cost of living here is a big issue and if someone wants to discuss it, go ahead, people will only discover what people are saying when they arrive anyway.

I agree. Many seem to be mistaking this for the "We love Australia forum". Or even the "We think we'll love Australia forum".
Old May 4th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Whoah...I don't consider anything I have said to be bitchy. Where did you get that notion from?

I am just trying to stick up for myself and to say that I hate being labelled as a whinging pom just because I haven't fallen in love with this place.
Just a quick apology to TraceyW!!

Apologies for if I over-reacted to your initial response at the beginning of this thread! Had just logged on feeling very excited as had just received our request for medicals...so was inappropriately resentful for having my rose coloured spectacles temporarily dislodged

Sorry you're having a crappy time...and hope things improve for you!

Jo
Old May 4th 2006, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Of course, you are absolutely right - without this forum and the advice and experience of those that have gone through it I would be completely and totally lost! The help and information I have received from expats and those going through the process has been invaluable and I'm EXTREMELY grateful.

Of course the people living over there should be able to post their own experiences without people going 'huffy' and that should apply equally to both the positive and negative posts. I think maybe what people do object to is when a positive post is turned into a negative one - this isn't neccesarily wrong but if someone wants to start a thread discussing the rising cost of living and it's downsides they should be able to do so without it turning into an argument just as someone should be able to post a thread about how much they are enjoying a certain part of their life without it turning into a competition of who's lived there longest and hates it the most.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong - maybe these threads are what keep people posting.

It is of course important that we all realise the pros and cons of the move and that we prepare ourselves as best we can for what lies ahead - we can only do that with the help and advice of people already in that situation.

I'm not having a dig at anyone, just trying to understand both sides.

Last edited by Clippy; May 4th 2006 at 8:32 am. Reason: speling! I mean Spelling :D
Old May 4th 2006, 8:24 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

...this is the Lifestyle and Culture forum. You want to talk about emigration, go hang out on the immigration forum and come back here once you have made the move and have something useful to contribute.
That's a bit of an odd comment isn't it? No-one's allowed on the lifestyle forum unless they have actually made the move?

Graham
Old May 4th 2006, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
out of the sun at all costs like a local without thinking about it and wouldnt dream of sunbathing on the beach...

This takes several years, in my opinion.

Or a few minutes. I've probably spent the sum total of 8 hours on Aussie beaches, actually in the sun, in the 3.5 years I've been here. lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.