Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All plasterers in Oz

All plasterers in Oz

Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default All plasterers in Oz

How do you compare plastering in Oz to what you did in the UK?

In my opinion, the standard of plastering here is far higher than in the UK and the expectations of the clients are higher.
Joiners take their time to straighten out walls prior to the plastering. Never seen this in the UK.

All in all, the houses I have worked on in the last 6 months,the plastering has to be 100% flat straight, level, plumb etc,etc,etc, with no exceptions.

if it's not 100% right it's 100% wrong that's my employer's favourite saying.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:42 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All plasterers in Oz

hya robert,
rach's husband (nosuchluck) said they were more laid back than in the uk.....but then my husband is a perfectionist when it comes to his plastering, so he will be very happy to read your post!!

what kind of hours are you putting in? do you just do mon-fri?

sue
ps. never got your email you sent me months ago!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hya robert,
rach's husband (nosuchluck) said they were more laid back than in the uk.....but then my husband is a perfectionist when it comes to his plastering, so he will be very happy to read your post!!

what kind of hours are you putting in? do you just do mon-fri?

sue
ps. never got your email you sent me months ago!!
yes, Mon to Fri only. I have only worked 2 Saturdays in 6 months and that was only to 12 Noon. Attitude pretty laid back at work, but not regarding the work you have to produce. Sometimes the boss brings round the beers on Fridays for the last hour or so of work.

please remind me of the e mail you did not get. PM me if you need to.

Has your husband used plaster boxes? Your husband might like to know the most used plasterboard sheet is 6 metres long x 1350mm & 6Mx1200 Never seen these in the UK
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:49 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan

In my opinion, the standard of plastering here is far higher than in the UK and the expectations of the clients are higher.
Joiners take their time to straighten out walls prior to the plastering. Never seen this in the UK.

All in all, the houses I have worked on in the last 6 months,the plastering has to be 100% flat straight, level, plumb etc,etc,etc, with no exceptions.

From what I've seen it's shoddy, but then again most I've seen are board with filler in the joints.

But surely all plastering should be as straight as the surface you're plastering will allow it
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a problem With respect to the few plastering jobs we had done in the UK, the guys that did them were very particular and if it wasn't like glass, including the corners they were not happy.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road

dear robert,we arrived in brisbane new years eve.have tried for 4 weeks to get a plastering job,in the uk i done rendering ,dry lining and all internal work skimming,coving etc and yet nobody will give me a chance in oz,i got a blue card but not a licence yet as this seems a nightmare to get,i also found that you can only fix boards or tape them or prepare to paint them,this has to be done by 3 people for some reason where in the uk i would do it all...any replies most welcome,regards cooperman

yes, Mon to Fri only. I have only worked 2 Saturdays in 6 months and that was only to 12 Noon. Attitude pretty laid back at work, but not regarding the work you have to produce. Sometimes the boss brings round the beers on Fridays for the last hour or so of work.

please remind me of the e mail you did not get. PM me if you need to.

Has your husband used plaster boxes? Your husband might like to know the most used plasterboard sheet is 6 metres long x 1350mm & 6Mx1200 Never seen these in the UK
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraser
From what I've seen it's shoddy, but then again most I've seen are board with filler in the joints.

But surely all plastering should be as straight as the surface you're plastering will allow it
hi fraser most of the work i do, is on homes in the million + brackrt need i say more.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Is that a problem With respect to the few plastering jobs we had done in the UK, the guys that did them were very particular and if it wasn't like glass, including the corners they were not happy.
WITH RESPECT i have been a plasterer in the UK for 18 years and i have seen a lot of shit work.
there is not a lot of care factor in the UK and i base these comments on the last 18 years of experience so your comments have no relevance unless you are a plasterer.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:14 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

hi fraser most of the work i do, is on homes in the million + brackrt need i say more.
Fair enough, but surely it would be of the same standard in the UK.

One of my best mates is a plasterer and his work was always like glass so that's what I'm used to having in my home and it's a lot better than what we've got here.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cooperman
dear robert,we arrived in brisbane new years eve.have tried for 4 weeks to get a plastering job,in the uk i done rendering ,dry lining and all internal work skimming,coving etc and yet nobody will give me a chance in oz,i got a blue card but not a licence yet as this seems a nightmare to get,i also found that you can only fix boards or tape them or prepare to paint them,this has to be done by 3 people for some reason where in the uk i would do it all...any replies most welcome,regards cooperman
sent you a pm
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fraser
Fair enough, but surely it would be of the same standard in the UK.

One of my best mates is a plasterer and his work was always like glass so that's what I'm used to having in my home and it's a lot better than what we've got here.
far to Many cowboys in the UK i blame the the government for getting rid of the proper apprenticeships.
but there is lot of good tradesman in the UK too. most i think would like to leave

Last edited by robert cowan; Feb 11th 2006 at 9:47 am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

WITH RESPECT i have been a plasterer in the UK for 18 years and i have seen a lot of shit work.
there is not a lot of care factor in the UK and i base these comments on the last 18 years of experience so your comments have no relevance unless you are a plasterer.
Hells teeth chill mate! Read it properly. I said with respect to the few plastering jobs. Excuse me for having an opinion. Didn't realise it was a thread for experts I'll go away and do my knitting.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:10 am

Hells teeth chill mate! Read it properly. I said with respect to the few plastering jobs. Excuse me for having an opinion. Didn't realise it was a thread for experts I'll go away and do my knitting.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cooperman
Do you need a licence to be a plasterer?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

well don't comment on things you no **** all about. Too Many people with opinions and not facts on this site.so **** you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.