Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To all pipefitter in australia please read.

To all pipefitter in australia please read.

Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default To all pipefitter in australia please read.

Hi guys im a pipefitter from uk and i need to chat to others that have come to oz from uk as pipefitter.
Whats your background?pipefitter or pipefitter/welder,plumber etc etc.

Anyone thats just a pipefitter but like me have been in the game a long time and can put his hands to most stuff.

When you came here did most companies take your qualifications from uk and if so what did you have?i have svq same as nvq,craft cert in pipefitting from ecitb.
Or did you need to get australian qualification to find or get jobs?

Im finding that more and more companies are looking or wanting this qualification,more so that 10 yrs ago when i was traveling and not asked and got work easy.

If you did get the australian qualification then what did you go for boilermaker,mechanical fitter or metal fabricator?

If so who did you use or did this with as i am at my wits trying to find out who deals with it tra,training gov to name a few they are all saying each other and some saying not them.

I did hear today its not a requirment to have the australian qualification its upto the company but becoming more popular and im finding a few jobs i have looked at or even applied for have needed it and i have been refused as i dont have.

I would be greatfull to know of pipefitters out there like me what you did,as its just been a nightmare since arriving here and something needs to change asap.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To all pipefitter in australia please read.

Originally Posted by brian.w
Hi guys im a pipefitter from uk and i need to chat to others that have come to oz from uk as pipefitter.
Whats your background?pipefitter or pipefitter/welder,plumber etc etc.

Anyone thats just a pipefitter but like me have been in the game a long time and can put his hands to most stuff.

When you came here did most companies take your qualifications from uk and if so what did you have?i have svq same as nvq,craft cert in pipefitting from ecitb.
Or did you need to get australian qualification to find or get jobs?

Im finding that more and more companies are looking or wanting this qualification,more so that 10 yrs ago when i was traveling and not asked and got work easy.

If you did get the australian qualification then what did you go for boilermaker,mechanical fitter or metal fabricator?

If so who did you use or did this with as i am at my wits trying to find out who deals with it tra,training gov to name a few they are all saying each other and some saying not them.

I did hear today its not a requirment to have the australian qualification its upto the company but becoming more popular and im finding a few jobs i have looked at or even applied for have needed it and i have been refused as i dont have.

I would be greatfull to know of pipefitters out there like me what you did,as its just been a nightmare since arriving here and something needs to change asap.
Hi Brian,

Sorry can't help with the pipefitting, but have you tried a local TAFE to see if there is a qualification you can get via RPL (recognition of prior learning) - might be worth a shot
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: To all pipefitter in australia please read.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Brian,

Sorry can't help with the pipefitting, but have you tried a local TAFE to see if there is a qualification you can get via RPL (recognition of prior learning) - might be worth a shot
funny you should say that but talked with a lady today on phone who was very helpfull and explained a few things including the rpl,they had a hard time getting a job title to best match pipefitting,so said i should come to the office and look into it,i think it was a rto i needed which will have knowledge of what i do,the lady or the place i was talking too,has nothing to do with the rpl thing but will advise me or point me to someone who can.
So hopefull this might be an option.

So much red tape here is mental.