Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All information gratefully recieved :)

All information gratefully recieved :)

Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:27 am
Just Joined

CuriousaboutOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All information gratefully recieved :)

Hi there, we moved to NZ from the uk 5 years ago.
We love it here but it's horrifically expensive. The only place we want to live is where a tiny 3 bed "house" (not well made! With a tiny garden, overlooked from every angle, will cost us 1 mil plus.

So, we have very recently started thinking about moving to Australia.

We have four children aged 10, 8, 5 and 2. My husband is in media.

He has been to Sydney and doesn't want to live there. I have never been to Austarlia at all.

My friend has suggested we look at Brisbane, but warned us about the heat. But my biggest concern (apart from the spiders/snakes/scorpions/crocs/sharks) is it feeling very overpopulated and we are concerned about crime levels.

We actually live on Waiheke Island at the moment, so no traffic, not many people, very low crime rate.

We really have no idea where to start looking but know that, the west (ie Perth) Sydney, and (probably) Melbourne re out.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All information gratefully recieved :)

Originally Posted by CuriousaboutOz
Hi there, we moved to NZ from the uk 5 years ago.
We love it here but it's horrifically expensive. The only place we want to live is where a tiny 3 bed "house" (not well made! With a tiny garden, overlooked from every angle, will cost us 1 mil plus.

So, we have very recently started thinking about moving to Australia.

We have four children aged 10, 8, 5 and 2. My husband is in media.

He has been to Sydney and doesn't want to live there. I have never been to Austarlia at all.

My friend has suggested we look at Brisbane, but warned us about the heat. But my biggest concern (apart from the spiders/snakes/scorpions/crocs/sharks) is it feeling very overpopulated and we are concerned about crime levels.

We actually live on Waiheke Island at the moment, so no traffic, not many people, very low crime rate.

We really have no idea where to start looking but know that, the west (ie Perth) Sydney, and (probably) Melbourne re out.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
I'm from Perth, so not much help. Although I can say that in the 57 years I lived there, I was never a victim of any crime. Tasmania might suit you, cooler climate and lots of space, but the job situation isn't great. In fact it'll probably come down to that, you need to go where the work is.

British people (including my husband) tend to worry a lot about the creepy crawlies and other wildlife, but it's quite easy to avoid their habitats. I'd say the most common thing you'll find in urban areas are spiders and you quickly learn not to reach into dark, quiet places without giving everything a good shake

Are you up to speed on the requirements for permanent resident visas for Australia? Best of luck with it all.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have obtained NZ citizenship this should make moving to Oz easier, but you need to be aware of the limitations on NZ'ers over here. I am a Kiwi, but moved here before the 2001 changes, so I'm not an expert on them. Others on the forum are more aware.

Can I ask why you have discounted Melbourne? If your OH is in media, its probably (other than Sydney) his best chance for work.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

First things first. Do you qualify for a visa? If not then the rest is moot.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

So does one or both of you commute on the ferry to Auckland?

As I understand it, Brisbane house prices are certainly a lot lower compared to Auckland and no doubt Waiheke Island, particularly in relation to salaries. I don't think you'll find anything that quite has the feel of Waiheke Island, but you would certainly find waterside living without the feel of being in the city of Brisbane, but still easily commutable to the city.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you need to look at jobs and where you can get work - zero point in finding something where you can not get a job
Old Apr 28th 2016, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies.
To answer your questions. Yes, we qualify for the visa.

We haven't entirely discounted Melbourne. I hear excellent things about it. It sounds very cool. But, it appears to very expensive. And the weather sounds very changeable...a lot of rain?

And yes, my husband commutes by ferry daily to Auckland. Not the worlds' worst trip to work
Better than bumper to bumper on the M58.

Life is different for him. He gets off the island every day . But, for me to take 4 kids off is expensive. And ten we have to get buses or trains to anywhere good.the kids are exhausted before we've even arrived!!
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies.
To answer your questions. Yes, we qualify for the visa.

We haven't entirely discounted Melbourne. I hear excellent things about it. It sounds very cool. But, it appears to very expensive. And the weather sounds very changeable...a lot of rain?

And yes, my husband commutes by ferry daily to Auckland. Not the worlds' worst trip to work
Better than bumper to bumper on the M58.

Life is different for him. He gets off the island every day . But, for me to take 4 kids off is expensive. And ten we have to get buses or trains to anywhere good.the kids are exhausted before we've even arrived!!

I wouldn't be too worried about rain in Melbourne if you live on Waiheke Island, as you get double the amount of Melbourne and amount of rainy days are similar. It's probably more changeable and can get hotter. My concern would be if it's the life you want and Melbourne is also expensive. Why not move to a cheaper location in New Zealand where housing is more affordable, or at least where you get more for your money.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Oh really. The usual line in Waiheke when it rains is "great for the tanks"!
We have lived in other places in NZ but the work (& the money) are in Auckland. If you can work from home, there's no problem! Other than that, you have to work in the city .
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really. The usual line in Waiheke when it rains is "great for the tanks"!
We have lived in other places in NZ but the work (& the money) are in Auckland. If you can work from home, there's no problem! Other than that, you have to work in the city .
I agree with the work, but then again what's the point of being in a well paid job when all the money is spent on a mortgage, or you can only live in a property you don't really like. I'm in Ireland now, so can't comment on the current job situation in NZ, but maybe you'd be better off outside Auckland? Of course housing is not cheap in certain parts, but still seems the better option, rather than moving to a more populated area in Australia.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I agree with the work, but then again what's the point of being in a well paid job when all the money is spent on a mortgage, or you can only live in a property you don't really like. I'm in Ireland now, so can't comment on the current job situation in NZ, but maybe you'd be better off outside Auckland? Of course housing is not cheap in certain parts, but still seems the better option, rather than moving to a more populated area in Australia.
My husband is actually Irish.
But, I don't understand the question. We can't live outside of Auckalnd as that's where the money is? And the commute would be too big
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My husband is actually Irish.
But, I don't understand the question. We can't live outside of Auckalnd as that's where the money is? And the commute would be too big

Sorry, should have said suburbs around Auckland. Ok, you'll have a commute, but still might be more affordable for housing and better than giving up a good job, moving to Australia and having the same problem.
Your husband must be a good man then.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

I think he will start applying for jobs and see what happens. I'm just trying to get a feel for what life would be like over in Australia. How expensive (or not) things are in comparison to NZ.
And what type of area we should look at.
How people find living with the heat.
Just anything you can give me really!
Old Apr 28th 2016, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Anybody know anything about Westlake?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:17 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: All information gratefully recieved :)

Melbourne's weather is a big subject for conversation- it is changeable, although that can be a good thing!

But it is actually very dry, and has very little humidity like for instance Auckland does, or other Aus cities. I am still having to water my garden every day this late into the Autumn. It is one of the driest cities in Australia for rainfall mm.

I used to live in NZ - and I have found that Melbourne provides the best combination of NZ lifestyle and UK economy and job opportunities.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.