Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All that cleaning paid off!

All that cleaning paid off!

Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:53 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default All that cleaning paid off!

Well I am feeling very pleased with myself. All our stuff has passed inspection and in it was a petrol lawn mower, big BBQ, pushbikes, garden tools, strimmer etc! Especially as the other half went on ahead and I had to do it all by myself.
The tips I got off here were great, so thanks whoever you were. I think the best one was for the garden stuff, scrub it loads then give it a coat of hammerite. I spray painted the underneath of the lawn mower! Mind you we haven't tried starting it yet!!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All that cleaning paid off!

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Well I am feeling very pleased with myself. All our stuff has passed inspection and in it was a petrol lawn mower, big BBQ, pushbikes, garden tools, strimmer etc! Especially as the other half went on ahead and I had to do it all by myself.
The tips I got off here were great, so thanks whoever you were. I think the best one was for the garden stuff, scrub it loads then give it a coat of hammerite. I spray painted the underneath of the lawn mower! Mind you we haven't tried starting it yet!!!
Hey! Glad it all got to you at last I was only wondering the other day if it had been delivered yet.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:36 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Well done! Glad it all came through ok.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Well done!!! We received our shipping a couple of weeks ago and it all passed inspection. The tip on using wd-40 to spray stuff worked so well. Made the shoes sparkle!!! We also had a wicker/rattan Next lamp that made it safe and sound.

My husband used hammerite on some of the garden stuff and that obviously worked well.

Enjoy finding a new home for it all

Tammy
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of items that I think might be 'dodgy'? Rocking horse - because it's made of wood and has real horses hair, wooden ornament of elephant originally from India and wooden ornament originally from Kenya.

Any tips on how to get these through?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:14 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tartankoala
I have a couple of items that I think might be 'dodgy'? Rocking horse - because it's made of wood and has real horses hair, wooden ornament of elephant originally from India and wooden ornament originally from Kenya.

My daughter is shipping a rocking horse over, and we have got letters from the manufacturer and the people who supplied the horse hair. These state how the wood and hair have been treated and what kind of wood was used etc and that they meet with EU regs.

Suggest you write to the people who made your rocking horse and get letters ready for the shippers. Unfortunately cannot help with your other items.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:15 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

find out what kind of wood it is and if it has been treated
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom
My daughter is shipping a rocking horse over, and we have got letters from the manufacturer and the people who supplied the horse hair. These state how the wood and hair have been treated and what kind of wood was used etc and that they meet with EU regs.

Suggest you write to the people who made your rocking horse and get letters ready for the shippers. Unfortunately cannot help with your other items.
Thanks but it was my father-in-law that made the horse - he's a bit of a wood working wiz. Suppose I could get a letter from him!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asher
find out what kind of wood it is and if it has been treated
Mmm doubt either has been treated, as for the type of wood?!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm doubt either has been treated, as for the type of wood?!
If you do a search on "rocking horse" you'll find a few people that have brought their horses over.
The wooden bit shouldn't be a problem, but the horse hair will have to be removed. Then there are some companies here that can replace it with Aussie hair once it has got therough AQIS.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

= I spray painted the underneath of the lawn mower! Mind you we haven't tried starting it yet!!!
hehehehe - best laid plans an all that. Sounds like the kind of thing i would do.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:36 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I had a small carved Rocking horse which although was bought in the UK its obvious to a blind man it didn't originate from there, very ethnic looking. They opened it and had no problem with it

Last edited by Watt Dabney; Feb 14th 2008 at 10:37 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:03 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you do a search on "rocking horse" you'll find a few people that have brought their horses over.
The wooden bit shouldn't be a problem, but the horse hair will have to be removed. Then there are some companies here that can replace it with Aussie hair once it has got therough AQIS.
The horse hair, they use, is Genuine Suffolk Horse hair, imported from UK

So will match perfectly PMSL !

oh the irony
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josie1100
The tip on using wd-40 to spray stuff worked so well. Made the shoes sparkle!!!
..and squeak-free too! Bonus