Reload this Page >

All about timing

All about timing

Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:23 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default All about timing

A couple of friends back in the U.K. have no postponed emigrating to Oz.
I have really noticed the lack of urgency,enthusiasm,and joy from people on B.E. compared to the past. It appears 90% of people are very uncertain,unable,to realise their dream of a new life down under.
With all the talk of housing bubbles,Poor exchange rates, and for many difficulties finding decent work I wonder what the implications might be after all in the past i think many would agree cash rich British expats have contributed hugely to the housing boom.No doupt Oz will attract migrants from other destinations other than the u.k. but doupt they will have the capacity to buy up houses like the British expats have done for many years
I for one would not leave the u.k. if it were now as i feel Oz offers poor value compared to the past after all one of the greatest attractions was the fact that one could upgrade their home which is now just a pipe dream.
Any expats that made the move...would you still come to oz if it were in the present climate?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:34 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All about timing

Originally Posted by jan View Post
A couple of friends back in the U.K. have no postponed emigrating to Oz.
I have really noticed the lack of urgency,enthusiasm,and joy from people on B.E. compared to the past. It appears 90% of people are very uncertain,unable,to realise their dream of a new life down under.
With all the talk of housing bubbles,Poor exchange rates, and for many difficulties finding decent work I wonder what the implications might be after all in the past i think many would agree cash rich British expats have contributed hugely to the housing boom.No doupt Oz will attract migrants from other destinations other than the u.k. but doupt they will have the capacity to buy up houses like the British expats have done for many years
I for one would not leave the u.k. if it were now as i feel Oz offers poor value compared to the past after all one of the greatest attractions was the fact that one could upgrade their home which is now just a pipe dream.
Any expats that made the move...would you still come to oz if it were in the present climate?
i would disagree
the trickle of cash rich brits arriving in au wouldnt make the slightest difference to housing costs, its much more to do with supply and demand not enough houses too many buyers
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the cashed up Brits if anything its the Indians and Chinese who buy here now as they are cashed up, Brits are the poor relations of these new investors and will continue to be just like the rest of the western world, its their turn now.

It amazes me that having a bigger house is a reason to move twelve thousand miles across the world, why not save the money spent doing it and save a bit more and buy one down the road.

Would I move from the UK if I was forty had children, a nice house, holidays, steady job etc no I wouldn't just like I would not return to UK if I had a house here, settled in school and a good steady job.

We had all our adventures before we had children as we knew once they came along we would be staying put and we have.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We moved a year ago with 2 small children. We lost on our house sale, we still have some money stuck in the UK. My husband's contract will be up soon and he's looking but not seeing anything else to go to, I have just secured some part time work, we have to find somewhere to live in 2 months and there's nothing out there at the moment. We have had to dip into our savings as I have had several linked health issues that have needed hospitalisation in the last month.

BUT
It was our dream to do it, it's our continuing adventure. Would we do it again, knowing what we know now - ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY!

We don't want the big house. We just want any house, enough money for food etc. and happy children. Eldest is in a great primary and is loving it, youngest at a childminder part time and also loves it.

Despite the ups and downs, the pros far outway the cons for us. It was never about money, more about satisfying our need to live somewhere new and give the children some wider experience of the world. It is hard, life tends to be hard wherever you live. It is what you make of it!

One of my Drs actually said he hoped all the dramas I've been having haven't put me off living in Australia. I am writing him a letter next week to tell him that I have really felt like a human being here rather than an NHS number and I can't fault the care I have received in both public and private hospitals (Yes I've been in 3!!).

Upbeat enough for you?!!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Sydney at the end of 2008, Despite doing my homework I was pretty shocked (and to some extent still am on a daily basis) by how expensive things are in comparison to England.

However I do try to remind myself as often as I can that it's not just about the Money. No one wants to put themselves in a position where you will struggle financially but there are "swings and roundabouts". We were lucky with our timing in one respect as we caught the exchange rate before it dropped through the floor and brought our cash assets with us.

I also managed to secure a contract that paid more than my previous role in the UK so while my outgoings are higher my salary is also higher.

In comparison to the job market back in the UK, I know which side of the pond I'd rather be on right now thats for sure.

Shortly after we arrived, my wife who I had counted on working part time fell Ill, and for the best part of a year was unable to work leaving me as the sole earner so our first year in Australia was far from a dream, in fact I'd count it as being the hardest year of my life on both a personal and financial level.

My wife is now much better having received what I can only describe as first rate medical care and is now working almost full time in a job she enjoys opposite the beach, my son plays just about every sport under the sun (of which there is plenty by the way :-) ) and has settled into school and even completes his homework on time (didn't inherit that from me). Just last week he brought home two letters of commendation..

So i'd say it isn't about timing, sometimes shit happens and you just have to deal with it, you adapt and overcome. On the other hand sometimes you get lucky too.

I enjoy my life here in Australia because I have made it work, I continue to make it what it is. I am glad we gave it a shot and have taken the opportunity to broaden our horizons because I feel we are richer for it....

We've built character! :-D
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

ozmania is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dogscogs View Post
I moved to Sydney at the end of 2008, Despite doing my homework I was pretty shocked (and to some extent still am on a daily basis) by how expensive things are in comparison to England.

However I do try to remind myself as often as I can that it's not just about the Money. No one wants to put themselves in a position where you will struggle financially but there are "swings and roundabouts". We were lucky with our timing in one respect as we caught the exchange rate before it dropped through the floor and brought our cash assets with us.

I also managed to secure a contract that paid more than my previous role in the UK so while my outgoings are higher my salary is also higher.

In comparison to the job market back in the UK, I know which side of the pond I'd rather be on right now thats for sure.

Shortly after we arrived, my wife who I had counted on working part time fell Ill, and for the best part of a year was unable to work leaving me as the sole earner so our first year in Australia was far from a dream, in fact I'd count it as being the hardest year of my life on both a personal and financial level.

My wife is now much better having received what I can only describe as first rate medical care and is now working almost full time in a job she enjoys opposite the beach, my son plays just about every sport under the sun (of which there is plenty by the way :-) ) and has settled into school and even completes his homework on time (didn't inherit that from me). Just last week he brought home two letters of commendation..

So i'd say it isn't about timing, sometimes shit happens and you just have to deal with it, you adapt and overcome. On the other hand sometimes you get lucky too.

I enjoy my life here in Australia because I have made it work, I continue to make it what it is. I am glad we gave it a shot and have taken the opportunity to broaden our horizons because I feel we are richer for it....

We've built character! :-D
very well said!!! truly inspiring :-) thanks!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't come for monetary reasons. No idea if we'd still have come as we're already here and it's an impossible question.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:52 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Thank you all so much for your informative replies.So inspiring to hear your views, especially yours moneypenny stating the obvious.fab!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan View Post
Thank you all so much for your informative replies.So inspiring to hear your views, especially yours moneypenny stating the obvious.fab!
Sorry
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by itigo View Post
We moved a year ago with 2 small children. We lost on our house sale, we still have some money stuck in the UK. My husband's contract will be up soon and he's looking but not seeing anything else to go to, I have just secured some part time work, we have to find somewhere to live in 2 months and there's nothing out there at the moment. We have had to dip into our savings as I have had several linked health issues that have needed hospitalisation in the last month.

BUT
It was our dream to do it, it's our continuing adventure. Would we do it again, knowing what we know now - ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY!

We don't want the big house. We just want any house, enough money for food etc. and happy children. Eldest is in a great primary and is loving it, youngest at a childminder part time and also loves it.

Despite the ups and downs, the pros far outway the cons for us. It was never about money, more about satisfying our need to live somewhere new and give the children some wider experience of the world. It is hard, life tends to be hard wherever you live. It is what you make of it!

One of my Drs actually said he hoped all the dramas I've been having haven't put me off living in Australia. I am writing him a letter next week to tell him that I have really felt like a human being here rather than an NHS number and I can't fault the care I have received in both public and private hospitals (Yes I've been in 3!!).

Upbeat enough for you?!!
fair play to you. i hope your dream continues! We are coming out in July, I am not disillusioned i know it wont be easy but it is our dream too!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:40 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

I think the current economic climate might result in Brits coming over with more realistic expectations and values. Too many Brits seem to fall for the materialistic lure of the big house, pool etc and end up disillusioned when they realise that it's not the be all and end all.

Expats coming over with a desire for a different lifestyle as their primary motivation, and less of a focus on material aspects, are bound to have a greater chance of it all working out. Not to say that the financial side and the ability to own/rent a place isn't important ... it is just better if it's rather one of the items to consider and plan for, and not the main enticement.

P.S. Chances are you'll still have a larger home than back in the UK anyway
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Kalenge View Post

P.S. Chances are you'll still have a larger home than back in the UK anyway
Should you need one. No point if you don't.