Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All about Laptop

All about Laptop

Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:38 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question All about Laptop

Hello Folks,
Needs a suggestion from you.
I am looking for a laptop. The Best quality one.
Looking for Wireless hardware inclusive with the Laptop.
Which make will be the cheap and the best.

Reviews and experience do add spice to the information.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: All about Laptop

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Hello Folks,

the best laptop to use for business/home use has to be IBM T series,I work with these day in,day out,they are robust,battle hardened,and fantastic spec...on the newer one T30 type wireless inc
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I would try the Perth poledancing troop.

Can get some nice laptops there.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2438
the best laptop to use for business/home use has to be IBM T series,I work with these day in,day out,they are robust,battle hardened,and fantastic spec...on the newer one T30 type wireless inc
Yep, as a person who runs an IT business I would agree that the T series IBM laptops are really good, price is quite high though (£1100 +). Otherwise any IBM is OK, also look at Toshiba Tecra or Sony Vaio.
Try to stay away from unknown brands (Lidl, Aldi etc), spares are a nightmare to get hold of. Make sure you get an international warranty.

You should be able to get hold of something half decent for about £600 or so
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:14 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Hello Folks,

I would recommend a Dell laptop. Have been using Dell computers for years, both desktops and a laptop. Never had a problem with any of them.

Have a look at their "Inspiron" range for laptops. The cheapest is from £399 with wireless capability.

Try: www.dell.co.uk Then click on the link for notebooks.

Gina
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hope that Dell support has improved, they have a terrible reputation.

I called them the other day on a 0870 number (8 or 9 pence per minute) and was number 22 in the queue!!

The PC's / Laptops are fine, just keep your fingers crossed that they don't go wrong
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

I,m going to buy a laptop but like most things about computers i don,t understand them.
Can anyone explain what wireless LAN is and how does it work?

dave
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chippy dave
I,m going to buy a laptop but like most things about computers i don,t understand them.
Can anyone explain what wireless LAN is and how does it work?

dave
Wireless network means you can either:
1. Sit at a Wireless Hot Spot (maybe a Cafe, Library, Airport Etc) and use their Internet connection.
2. Sit at home on the patio, bedroom etc and access the Internet

At home you would have a wireless router connected to your ADSL connection (your phone line)

Hope this makes it a little clearer?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Wireless network means you can either:
1. Sit at a Wireless Hot Spot (maybe a Cafe, Library, Airport Etc) and use their Internet connection.
2. Sit at home on the patio, bedroom etc and access the Internet

At home you would have a wireless router connected to your ADSL connection (your phone line)

Hope this makes it a little clearer?

Thanks Kevin much clearer i,ll make sure the one i buy has that.

dave
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:49 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Thanks Kevin much clearer i,ll make sure the one i buy has that.

dave
Steve, Kevin and Gina.
Thanks for your feedback. I personally recommend Dell since I used it but thats not cheap...
I guess I need to check with IBM folks for what they have to offer...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Hi we have been looking at buying a laptop does or has anyone heard of or know anything about ACER their prices dont seem to bad for the spec but it would be good if anyone could give me some feed back

cheers
Debs xx
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I think Dell stuff is good, just their support is crap.
I personaly would say Acer are good, but I know others will come back and say the opposite

I have sold maybe 10 laptops over the past year or so, I have had no problems with Toshiba, Acer, Apple or IBM. Just a matter of what you want to spend

BTW the IBM's still look like new after 2 / 3 years (because they don't change much over the years and they are very solid), not sure the Toshiba's or Acer's are so good though in this respect.

Go on, buy a IBM T42, only £1100 so bit of a bargain
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:21 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Hi we have been looking at buying a laptop does or has anyone heard of or know anything about ACER their prices dont seem to bad for the spec but it would be good if anyone could give me some feed back

cheers
Debs xx
Hi,
just bought an Acer Aspire 1680 and have to say its excellent, built in wireless, Radeon 9700 chipset (plays all games) and a wide screen for watching those movies.
The software installed is also very good, I was going to format the machine and install my own version of winxp as the factory ones normally have a load of tosh installed along with windows but its fine.
Laptops with the same spec are mostly over a £1000 but this was well under (around £800 I think).
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

And I thought everyone was going to slate Acer!!

Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:35 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I bought a Dell as had had good experiences with them at work. Ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 510m as it won PC Pro Magazine 'Best Wireless Laptop last year when I was looking (and I know things change so it's probably a dinosaur now! It's light, thin, has excellent battery life, supports all the current wireless standards, has a built in modem, network port and IR (bluetooth an option) so can be connected nearly anywhere. Has a 60GB hard drive and a CD RW/DVD player combo drive. The only downside is it doesn't have all singing all dancing graphics, it's fine for internet, office stuff, looking at photos, editing graphics, watchng DVD's etc just don't excpect it to run the latest 3D games. Not an issue for me as I have a decent desktop which does all that.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/55052/de...iron-510m.html (if the site asks for a username to login use billgates)

If you look under the 'Product Reviews' then 'Labs' there are a lot of tests on all sorts of hardware going back over the last year and they do test very thoroughly in 'real world' conditions.

One of their articles is on wireless networking for anyone unsure about that.

Dell Customer Service and support is very variable, when I bought my desktop from them it was fine, the agent I spoke to knew her stuff and sorted everything out. When I bought my laptop I think the cleaner answered the phone and wasn't actually sure what a laptop was.

As far as support goes much the same, had three calls to them in the last 18 months, twice I wouldn't have trusted the person on the other end to sit the right way on a lavatory seat, third time got someone who was very very good and sorted me out in about three minutes flat.

One nice thing with all new Dells is they do give you the proper software disks (eg XP, Office etc) not some butchered system restore pack which installs a load of crap you don't want or use. Also since last July they add a 'mirror' of your shiny new machine's hard drive on it. If you need to wipe it and reinstall everything just back up your personal docs etc, hit F12 when you reboot, confirm you want to restore the drive, go and make a coffee and by the time you get back there is a fresh install of everything just like the day it came out of the box.

If you do have problems with their support/cust services do a google for Michael Dell's email, and send him a complaint directly. I did that last time and three hours later had a senior customer service manager on the line who dealt with my complaint quickly and efficiently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.