Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All aboard the rollercoaster express.....

All aboard the rollercoaster express.....

Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: All aboard the rollercoaster express.....

Originally Posted by Hels
Here we were...thinking just how lucky we were....the visa application is sent.....the house sale all on track.....the tickets booked to fly out on the 14th Sept......only 5 weeks tomorrow.....the leaving party went off with a bang!!.....shippers here boxing up our measly 25 cubes of general "stuff".....

"ring....ring....ring"......Phone call.....its the Estate Agent....

"Hi Helen....just calling to say your buyers have had their Mortgage Offer through......The house has been valued at full asking price........However, there were a few points on the survey, one of the double glazed windows needs replacing....and the electricals needs some attention.........

The buyers do not wish to proceed with the sale!!"

I am now officially in Melt Down mode.........
Hi Walla,
Just to encourage you.....
We had similar exp 18 months ago with a British couple returning to the UK from Canada. He was a hospital doctor flying in from Toronto and due to start a consultants job at our local hospital on 6/1/03...... (don't ever trust people just cuz they're doctors ,or seem definite buyers, you can't be sure of anyone till the moneys in yor bank!)
We had flights booked to start a new life in Florida on the 8/1/03, we'd told our kids schools they wouldn't be returning after christmas hols, and guess wot they pulled out just before completion on 23/12.02...great christmas present!!!

We couldn't get our kids back in their schools so we decided to use the flights and go to florida (as it was January!)but we couldn't start a life inthe US as we didn't hav money from our house to get a business visa!

On our return to UK the house sold very quickly, and we only had a week to move out......because of all the stress and change it caused us we decided to go on holiday and hav a look at Australia, and Canada. Now we are so pleased because we have discovered Australia and feel we would prefer to live there than the US and we are waiting to hear about our skilled visa application.
Doesn't help your situation i know but often theres a good reason why these things happen. We heard later the same doctor had gone round other people saying he wanted to buy their homes and pulled out saying he only wanted to rent the house.
There are some honest buyers out there but you often find a few frogs on the way, ask any estate agent, i would be reluctant to take any house off the market now unless a buyer had actually signed contracts...i am definitely less trusting of everyone than i used to be.maybe thats the lesson we all have to learn again and again.
Hope you find a good buyer very soon!!

Sherie.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:33 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
Tip of the day: "never tell buyers ............
I have no intention of telling the estate agent (maybe paying for them but don't trust em!) either - all they can know is that we are reallocating due to employment and will be going into rented accomodation and the employers are flexible when we move - they can just assume that it is another part of the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:39 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherie
Hi Walla,
Just to encourage you.....
We had similar exp 18 months ago with a British couple returning to the UK from Canada. He was a hospital doctor flying in from Toronto and due to start a consultants job at our local hospital on 6/1/03...... (don't ever trust people just cuz they're doctors ,or seem definite buyers, you can't be sure of anyone till the moneys in yor bank!)
We had flights booked to start a new life in Florida on the 8/1/03, we'd told our kids schools they wouldn't be returning after christmas hols, and guess wot they pulled out just before completion on 23/12.02...great christmas present!!!

We couldn't get our kids back in their schools so we decided to use the flights and go to florida (as it was January!)but we couldn't start a life inthe US as we didn't hav money from our house to get a business visa!

On our return to UK the house sold very quickly, and we only had a week to move out......because of all the stress and change it caused us we decided to go on holiday and hav a look at Australia, and Canada. Now we are so pleased because we have discovered Australia and feel we would prefer to live there than the US and we are waiting to hear about our skilled visa application.
Doesn't help your situation i know but often theres a good reason why these things happen. We heard later the same doctor had gone round other people saying he wanted to buy their homes and pulled out saying he only wanted to rent the house.
There are some honest buyers out there but you often find a few frogs on the way, ask any estate agent, i would be reluctant to take any house off the market now unless a buyer had actually signed contracts...i am definitely less trusting of everyone than i used to be.maybe thats the lesson we all have to learn again and again.
Hope you find a good buyer very soon!!

Sherie.
Hi Sherrie

Thanks for that but I've sold my house it's Hels who has this awful thing happen today thou a similar experience did happen to me. There's one thing I've learned in my profession and that's never trust a Doctor, sorry Dr's my own experience!! Just because someone may appear to be reputable don't mean they can't wrangle with the cash. Trust no bugger till the cash is in the bank

Walla
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:45 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
I have no intention of telling the estate agent (maybe paying for them but don't trust em!) either - all they can know is that we are reallocating due to employment and will be going into rented accomodation and the employers are flexible when we move - they can just assume that it is another part of the UK.
Aye, exactly the same as us, let them make assumptions, we did however tell our estate agent once sale was through and we swore her to secrecy. I did tell a little white lie thou, I said to buyers I was re locating to.................. the Midlands!!

Walla
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:50 pm
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road

The Wife took a call from our estate agent this afternoon and we have our thrid viewing booked for 17.15 on Thursday, we have had a couple of offers in the month we have been for sale but have refused them as they were less than our bottom line and you have got to stick to your guns and not give someone a cut price bargain just because we are desperate to leave the UK and start your new life, fingers crossed for Thursday then guys.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

OMG, i am so sorry for you but can sympathise, happened to us too, survey bought up a few minor points but buyers pulled out, we even offered to drop the price 10k but they still said no, think they found something else, we now have new buyers who know our situation, flights booked for 7th Sept. they have also said that whatever comes up on the survey then they will pay it as we have dropped our asking price by 10k since it went on the market but we'll see if they stick to their word as survey was done today!. I hope that you get a buyer really really soon mate
Cyber hugs
Rach x
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
OMG, i am so sorry for you but can sympathise, happened to us too, survey bought up a few minor points but buyers pulled out, we even offered to drop the price 10k but they still said no, think they found something else, we now have new buyers who know our situation, flights booked for 7th Sept. they have also said that whatever comes up on the survey then they will pay it as we have dropped our asking price by 10k since it went on the market but we'll see if they stick to their word as survey was done today!. I hope that you get a buyer really really soon mate
Cyber hugs
Rach x

Oh, I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well......

We got our Estate Agent to go back to her to see if she would be willing to Exchange if we negotiated on the price....we are waiting to hear back as she told the Agent she would "think about it".....

Meanwhile....back on the market it goes.....
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

At this late stage, i'm amazed that she's pulled out, like you said she must've paid £££'s in fees etc. What i would do if she really doesn't want yours is put it on with a few agents, negotiate what fee you will be happy to pay, if they don't agree threaten to go to other agents who will, i'd also advertise it in the supermarket and anywhere else you can think of mate, you've got nothing to lose have you
best of luck with it helen
hugs
Rach x
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Just a quick update for those that are interested....

I talked with the lady that pulled out of the sale last night. She called me to apologise and we talked. She is going to get quotes and come back at me with an offer and we will negotiate....We are kinda caught between a rock and a hard place as we need this sale to go through. So as long as her offer isnt a stupid one, we will probably accept just so we can go.

We have a viewing that we arranged ourselves through a neighbour. They are coming tonight. So we have the place on the market, but not sure we want to start this whole selling process all over again...
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Best of luck with the lady that pulled out mate, what i will say is that any quotes she gets i would ask to see them in writing and then if they seem very high you can negotiate!
good luck mate, thinking of you
Rach x
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hels
Just a quick update for those that are interested....

I talked with the lady that pulled out of the sale last night. She called me to apologise and we talked. She is going to get quotes and come back at me with an offer and we will negotiate....We are kinda caught between a rock and a hard place as we need this sale to go through. So as long as her offer isnt a stupid one, we will probably accept just so we can go.

We have a viewing that we arranged ourselves through a neighbour. They are coming tonight. So we have the place on the market, but not sure we want to start this whole selling process all over again...

Hey Hels

Think I must be two seats behind you on this rollercoaster express...not a fun ride is it ??!

We thought our place would sell in a couple of weeks - over 2 months later and still no joy. Just turned down an offer for our absolute minimum price on advice from the estate agent although it was tempting to just say 'sod it' and sell. Our plans are knocked back at least a month but we haven't booked flights or packers yet.

How much work did the survey pick up? Doesn't sound too bad. Surely the woman either wants the house or not.

In your situation though, I'd just sell and move on. Life's too short. Good luck with the negotiations

Have sent you some Karma (whatever that means!!) to help you on your way!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Rach....Thanks for that hon....We actually have a friend that works for Southern Electricity and is a registered sparky so he is coming over tonight to give us an idea of what might have been on the survey and what he thinks it would cost to put right so we can compare to her quote....so fingers crossed...

sjn2003....Thankyou so much for that. This ride is not alot of fun and I would get off at the first opportunity...but, unfortunatly the lapstrap remains firmly in place....

The work the survey bought up was only that the electricals needed updating, one of the double glazed doors was misting, the extension that was built 20 yrs ago didnt have adequate ventilation and may at some stage cause damp (No damp in 20 yrs) and that the small bay roof in the front was a felt roof.....Thats all the survey bought up....and they valued the house at the asking price....So, I guess we now just wait and see what price she comes back with....

Thanks alot for the karma.....its been returned

Hels
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Good luck, i'd send you some karma but have just blown it all on don's post

Paul.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Red face Re: All aboard the rollercoaster express.....

Yet another update....

The woman that originally put in the offer, then pulled out on Monday is still "thinking" about making another offer on the basis of what the problems in the survey will cost to rectify. We have, between my husband and I, set a price we think we will go down to, if she offers lower than that, then she is taking the pee and it was all a ploy to lower the price because she knows we are desperate to sell. So, for the moment...watch this space...

We had a neighbour come around yesterday with a couple of relatives who appeared very interested in the house. They provisionally offered us £5k lower than the woman above initially offered us and I told them that we would accept that as long as she can complete within 4 weeks. They are currently off talking to their mortgage lender....so with fingers crossed, watch this space.

Our Agents have been on the phone all morning to us and we have had 3 viewings booked in over the next couple of days. So, fingers crossed....we might still be able to leave when we want to....although going to try REALLY hard not to appear too desperate to sell or we wont get the offer we want...

Hels
xxx
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hels,
Keep ure chin up hon. Someone will buy soon i am sure and when they do we will be all celebrating with u
Regards Chris and Andrea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.