Ale

Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ale

Originally Posted by RayZor
so, back to real beer (aka Ale)..

Can you get the good stuff on draught e.g....flowers, London Pride, Pedigree, Spitfire, IPA, Bombadier etc...

AND does it taste the same??

Ray
Hi
I would have to say no. I can't get the same here. We are only a bit outside the city and my opinion of beer here is that it it pretty shit. I know about the micro brewers etc but if you go into an average bar you will get, VB (rubbish), Cascade (also rubbish) and Carlton draught, this is just about bearable. I dream about a pint of Marstons Pedigree, Burton Ale, Green King IPA and last but not least Spitfire by Shepard & Neame.

I know that somebody will come back with some obscure Aussie brewery and say that it is the same or better but you are wrong. My Brother in law has been here for 8 years and still reckons that the beer is rubbish
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
You can get draught Tetleys, Spitfire and a couple of others and bottled Fullers ESB, London Pride and others at the Pig and Whistle at Arthur's Seat on the Mornington Penninsula - and very nice it is too - together with a ploughmans. yum yum

Wow we are not to far from there we should give it a go. I have heard great reports from a micro brewery in Redhill that also has a good restaurant.

John
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Many imported 'British' ales on draught will be keg versions. Old Speckled Hen is available in a few places as a keg and at a price.

There are one or two Home Brew real ale pubs in Sydney.

never found one in Brisbane.

Out of the cities you will just find the usual cold bland beers on tap. :scared:

Coopers in Bottles saves the day

G
Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
What size case/bottles is that?
24 stubbies. Standard Aussie case size.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:07 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

A bit if a side track.. My best mate is a Queenslander, and he was living here in Amsterdam for about 7 years, developing a taste for the selection of Belgian beers we have easy access to. (one of our haunts, Cafe Gollem, had over 200 beers on offer).

Anyhow, he's now back in Brisbane, and he's started brewing his own! He said that there is some brew shop he gets his ingredients from, and they have 'mixes' that are for the more familiar UK and Continental brews.

I was pretty sceptical about this, based on some personal experiences when I was a teen when a group of us thought 'get pissed cheap, make our own beer'. It tasted terrible, we all had the shits, and even the most diehards could not finish it off.

But, my mate has just finished his second batches of 'Duval' and 'Palm' copies, and even his Mrs reckons they are good brews. He recently started batches of amber ale which is a Murphys red clone, and a pislner that is supposed to be like Belgian Stella Artois. They are timed to be ready when I arrive out there in 3 weeks time.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:26 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Ale

Excellent, maybe you could arrange a beer festival for all us expats as a launch party....keep me posted...Ray
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Are you talking about Scottish Whisky or American or Irish Whiskey? Most popular brands that are available here are available there.

You get Stella over there imported from Europe, but expensive. One of the posters on here the other night said you get Stella brewed under licence in Australia, but even this local version is still dear.

p.s. Here's the post I'm talking about: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=55
Cheers for that mackinnon, stella sorted then.

As for the whiskey, you come from the land of milk and honey as far as I'm concerned. Irish, can't really do, tried it several times just couldn't find one that I could take to. As for American I really can't do. Iv'e tried to make friends with Mr. Daniels but we just don't get on and I end up praying over the big white telephone Tried Ol' Tennesse sippin' whiskey whilst living there. Rank!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:21 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Cheers for that mackinnon, stella sorted then.

As for the whiskey, you come from the land of milk and honey as far as I'm concerned. Irish, can't really do, tried it several times just couldn't find one that I could take to. As for American I really can't do. Iv'e tried to make friends with Mr. Daniels but we just don't get on and I end up praying over the big white telephone Tried Ol' Tennesse sippin' whiskey whilst living there. Rank!!!!!!
You're a person of good taste!

I bought a bottle of Talisker last time I was in Hobart, it worked out around £30 for the bottle, most places here sell it for about £26-£27 anyway, so prices are not too bad.

Measures of single malts in bars, however, are extortionate, much like here.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 6:47 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Try this www.amatos.com.au , they have a branch in Leichardt Sydney, but believe they will deliver. Not sure if they have branch in Melbourne as well. Got some Speckled Hen through them, but really really want some Marstons Pedigree next time I'm up that way (and cashed up!!).
Old Mar 17th 2006, 6:52 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Try this www.amatos.com.au , they have a branch in Leichardt Sydney, but believe they will deliver. Not sure if they have branch in Melbourne as well. Got some Speckled Hen through them, but really really want some Marstons Pedigree next time I'm up that way (and cashed up!!).
Somebody shoot me! I can't believe this place existed and I didn't know.
Old Speckly
Peculiar
and oh no Ruddles County....

aarrrgghh. I'm sitting here drinking left over Boags, Crownies and News.
This isn't fair, not on a saturday night.
Karma reluctantly sent.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:11 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
Hi
My Brother in law has been here for 8 years and still reckons that the beer is rubbish
Your brother-in-law is basically right.
Try some James Squire Pilsner or Ale, Matilda Bay Pilsner, or Coopers (but watch out for the sediment in the bottom of the bottle in the sparkling ale one)

Many liquor outlets stock British beers ie; BWS. I have seen a variety including Old Speckled Hen but you do pay a premium price for them usually.

I quite like Boddingtons myself for a good but different tasting British brew.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by RayZor
Any good places in Brissie ?
Contrary to what some people know, some places do sell some good beers, not that I drink them though

Try the Grand View Hotel in Cleveland. I got an email from them the other day, as I am a GV club member (discounted drinks), and they mentioned Old Speckled Hen, Guinness and Wexford. It was all $5 per pint on that day.