Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Alcohol in Supermarkets

Alcohol in Supermarkets

Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Alcohol in Supermarkets

Alcohol in Supermarkets is available in Victoria & ACT, so for those who need to buy wine etc at the Supermarket, you know which State to move to
For the rest of us, we need to go next door to the bottle shop

About 100 Melbourne supermarkets, including IGA, ALDI, Coles and Safeway stores, now sell alcohol in their grocery sections — a move critics say could "normalise" the sale of alcohol.

Brian Vandenberg, senior program adviser for alcohol harm reduction at VicHealth, the Government's health promotion agency, criticised the trend.
but also...
Victoria records the highest number of hospital admissions for alcohol-related illnesses and injuries in Australia each year,
Some examples in one supermarket chain this week:

Promised Earth Shiraz Merlot $ 2.99
Promised Earth Chenin Blanc Semillon Chardonnay $ 2.99
Blackstone Paddock Premium McLaren Vale Shiraz $ 19.99
Schloss Pils German Beer 6pk $ 9.99
O'Donnells Irish Cream 700ml $ 14.99

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alcohol in Supermarkets

The supermarkets where I am have a special alcohol section tacked on to them. And they keep to the same hours as the supermarket. That's OK. What I hated about certain parts of the US (and Sweden come to think of it) it was hard to get booze when you needed it.

I think restricted opening hours actually increases alcohol consumption - because all that happens is that you have to make sure that you buy loads of booze when you can in case you need it for a party or something over the weekend - and end up drinking it anyway, rather than only buying some if you actually need it!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

In Bondi go to Kemmenys. They also have a range of booze with a significant foreign wine and beer section. Probably the best bottlo in Sydney. They also deliver.
BTW they have a supermarket tagged on to the side.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
BTW they have a supermarket tagged on to the side.
That's different, normally it is a supermarket with a bottle shop tagged on the side.... not the other way round ...

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:48 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's different, normally it is a supermarket with a bottle shop tagged on the side.... not the other way round ...
As a bottlo it is different. The range of wines is very good and much wider than any of the chains. The supermarket is ok for pricier gourmet stuff.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:55 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Alcohol in Supermarkets is available in Victoria & ACT, so for those who need to buy wine etc at the Supermarket, you know which State to move to
For the rest of us, we need to go next door to the bottle shop

but also...

Some examples in one supermarket chain this week:

Promised Earth Shiraz Merlot $ 2.99
Promised Earth Chenin Blanc Semillon Chardonnay $ 2.99
Blackstone Paddock Premium McLaren Vale Shiraz $ 19.99
Schloss Pils German Beer 6pk $ 9.99
O'Donnells Irish Cream 700ml $ 14.99
Although the supers can sell instore most are still next door. Generally I don't find it a problem except for the times when I just buying drink as you have to go to the super to get the soft drinks.

What is great in Vic is that cafes can sell alcohol. Just occasionally it's nice to have a beer at the end of the day in a cafe setting rather than a pub.

As for the booze itself, I picked up a cleanskin Tawney Port the other other day for $5.90. Thought I'd try it for a laugh; wasn't expecting much (because of the price) but it was really good.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they do this in perth, its silly having to go to multiple shops

and bring in 24hr stores

and sunday trading

and let me pack my own bloody shopping, maybe the ques wouldnt be so slow then @
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:42 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

But who shops at Dan Murphys?
It's like Toys R Us for Adults!

Dinky

P.S. Even stocks London Pride