Albury Anyone?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:26 am
Just Joined

idymash will become famous soon enough
Default Albury Anyone?

Hi i am a dentist and my wife a chartered accountant. We are planning on moving to Australia n I have an offer to work in Albury at an established practice. Its just that since its a major move we are a little apprehensive as we havn't heard much about this place. We have visited Sydney, cessnock and Gosford. What is the lifestyle like in small towns in oz? If we were not to live on a budget, what kind of expenses should we be thinking of there? We are used to living in big cities, so would life in Albury be very difficult?
Please help!!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albury Anyone?

Originally Posted by idymash
Hi i am a dentist and my wife a chartered accountant. We are planning on moving to Australia n I have an offer to work in Albury at an established practice. Its just that since its a major move we are a little apprehensive as we havn't heard much about this place. We have visited Sydney, cessnock and Gosford. What is the lifestyle like in small towns in oz? If we were not to live on a budget, what kind of expenses should we be thinking of there? We are used to living in big cities, so would life in Albury be very difficult?
Please help!!!
I can't really comment on life in country towns, or living expenses. However, I have been to Albury Wodonga a couple of times and I really like it. I have had the best bacon sandwich in the whole of Australia there (made by a scouser!!). The people are generally friendly.

A-W is a very large country town, so you're likely to find everything you want there.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thribble
I can't really comment on life in country towns, or living expenses. However, I have been to Albury Wodonga a couple of times and I really like it. I have had the best bacon sandwich in the whole of Australia there (made by a scouser!!). The people are generally friendly.

A-W is a very large country town, so you're likely to find everything you want there.
Albury & Wodonga are two seperate towns
Albury is in Victoria and Wodonga is in New South Wales
They just happen to be opposite each other across the river

Both very nice towns....... I work there quite often. They're just over 2 hours from Melbourne - straight up the Hume ( watch out for the 3 sets of time/distance speed cameras )
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Please help!!!
I have family that live in Albury, its a great place and im hoping to move there some day soon.I also have some freinds who live in Wodonga.
House prices are reasonable and you can at the moment get some good bargins. Just wish we had our visa as we love the houses there.
My friend who moved there, nearly 2 years ago did find it difficult at first to adjust to living there. She came from Newcastle and kept saying compared to there it was quiet. However now she finds it very livable and has recently bought a house.
Albury is what you make it, It has what i think as a fairly big shopping area. However others may find it to be small.
With Melbourne close by you can always go there for a bigger shopping experience.
Albury is in NSW, while Wodonga is in Victoria. At the moment they are really struggling with the heat and associated drought. If i were on my main pc i could put a few links up for. Unfotunatly the only link i have on my lap top is the one for the main newspaper for the area.
www.bordermail.com.au
If you go tothe border mail there are often life style magazines that tell you what is happening in the area.
Another link i have that might be of use is the profile guide for the murray region.
www.mrdb.nsw.gov.au/download/profile2008.pdf

It will hopefully give you some ideas of the area.
If you do a search for some of my other posts , you should find some more info on Albury and wodonga
Mandy
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

idymash will become famous soon enough

Thanks mandy....really appreciate your comments. Also thanks to others who replied. I am primarily concerned for my wife's career prospects as I already have an offer there. The question is, should I take it up? It appears as if CAs have good opportunities only in the major cities.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mandy....really appreciate your comments. Also thanks to others who replied. I am primarily concerned for my wife's career prospects as I already have an offer there. The question is, should I take it up? It appears as if CAs have good opportunities only in the major cities.
Im not sure about CA's as ive no experience about them, but if you were to get in touch with the Murray regional board they may be the best people to advise you on that aspect. I do know that dentists are like gold dust there.
Good luck what ever you decide.
Mandy
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

One thing you should consider about Albury is the weather. If you are ok with heat you will be fine but they get extremely hot summers there. Over the last two weeks it hasnt been much below 40 during the day. I've only been a few times but my partner (an aussie) lived there for 4 years and struggled during the summer. Seems a nice place though and its not bogan central like some country towns.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I like Albury its a lovely city, hot in the summer months but very well laid out and about the right size. Has great restaurants and everything you want. Also good commuting.

Its close to the ski slopes of Falls Creek and Hotham and not far from Bright. The ovens valley is a lovely place, lots of things to do around there. Hang gliding off Mount Buffalo, Beachworth, just a great area of Victoria to live even though Albury is in New South Wales.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Its a city not a town
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I also like Albury - of all the regional towns/cities in NSW (and I've been to most), it's one of my favourites.

It's a decent size and has everything you need including a really nice shopping centre and plenty of restaurants etc. You get the feeling it's quite a prosperous place - no sad-looking, boarded-up shops like you get in some country towns.

It's in a good position being so close to skiing, wineries etc in northern Victoria and right on the Murray, of course. Also not too far from Melbourne for when you need a big city fix. A nice spot.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I go that area quite a bit and its pretty good for 'regional' Oz. Albury has a good airport with Virginblue and QANTAS to Sydney and Melbourne.

House prices much cheaper than Sydney.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rossi
Albury & Wodonga are two seperate towns
Albury is in Victoria and Wodonga is in New South Wales
They just happen to be opposite each other across the river

Both very nice towns....... I work there quite often. They're just over 2 hours from Melbourne - straight up the Hume ( watch out for the 3 sets of time/distance speed cameras )
Sorry mate, you have mixed up, Albury is in NSW and Wodonga is in VIC.
Both hot as hell in the summer!!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

I have mates from work who live in Albury and they say in Summer a common thing to do is get dropped off about 20 miles up the Murray river, with a noodle or some other float and all they do is float back down to albury! Apparently the murray river just flows at a nice pace, so they take a few beers and just relax! Nice