Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Alarm Engineer & Security Registration ?

Alarm Engineer & Security Registration ?

Old May 7th 2008, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

St_Andrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alarm Engineer & Security Registration ?

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has any information/guidance regarding security industry licensing in NSW ?

I have been granted a "SC417 Working holiday visa" and was hoping to spend/fund my year doing what I know best, but upon some research it seems in NSW you can't obtain a security license unless you have PR.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:20 am
Just Joined

melbourneben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alarm Engineer & Security Registration ?

Hi Mate,

Not sure on NSW as I live in VIC, but probably very similiar.

To do any sort of cabling work in Australia (including alarms etc) you'll need to get your cabling license. You can do a restricted cabling course to get your license which takes a couple of days but it limits you to working in domestic homes only. If you want to do commercial work you'll need to get your open license which costs about $750.00 and lasts 5 days.

Im getting my license through ramsdon technology college (they should come up on google) and I think they have a college in sydney.

Once you've done that you'll need to apply for a security license, you wont need to do any other courses for that. In Vic you apply for your license through the Police.

Hope this helps mate.

P.s. make sure you bring with you any proof of course's you've attended such as first aid and health and safety...
Old May 9th 2008, 12:04 am
Just Joined

St_Andrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Ben

I am aware that everyone in the industry requires a cabling license to work, which is a good thing in my opinion (cuts out cowboys !) My query really was regarding the actual security license required. I only have a working holiday visa ie, no permanent res (which is required by NSW police to grant a license) I was hoping to fund my stay by using the skills I have, but seems I can't (on paper) because I don't have PR

Any info/help would be appreciated .
Old May 9th 2008, 3:15 am
Just Joined

melbourneben is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mate,

Not sure about NSW but in VIC you dont need PR. On the VIC application form it asks if your a citizen or PR, it then goes onto say that if your not either you require a working visa.

Might be worth giving the NSW police (or whoever deals with the licenses there) a call to check.

Good luck mate.