Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airmiles Upgrades???

Airmiles Upgrades???

Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:03 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Airmiles Upgrades???

Okay so I have never used airmiles to get an upgrade but I reckon I now have enough for a standard upgrade from economy to business class with SIA. I'm about to book my next trip in the next few days - any tips on how to get the most from my airmiles, and what I can and cant do?

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airmiles Upgrades???

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Okay so I have never used airmiles to get an upgrade but I reckon I now have enough for a standard upgrade from economy to business class with SIA. I'm about to book my next trip in the next few days - any tips on how to get the most from my airmiles, and what I can and cant do?

Thanks
Can't speak fir kris flyer but I always rings skywards (emirates) when I'm doing this to see what's available before booking
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

With upgrades you can only redeem Economy Class tickets purchased on Singapore Airlines in S, Y, B or E booking classes. Principally that means that you must book a Flexi fare and not a Flexi saver which can't be upgraded.

I would call Krisflyer and work through with them on the phone when an upgrade is available. Once you have found one, then don't book it with the agent, but go online, log into Krisflyer, and buy the ticket and do the upgrade. That way you save 15% on points. If you use the call center to book it the discount won't apply.

That said, you can be a bit cheeky on the phone and say that the website is giving you terrible problems and won't process the purchase properly and they will do it for you and still allow the 15% discount if you ask. I've done this before.

Enjoy your upgrade ! But do remember that on the London > Singapore route you can never get a saver award rather have to take a standard. If you get a SIN > Australia A330 then saver awards can apply to that leg of the trip. And also if you are short of miles you'll be given the option to purchase them when you book - providing you have at least 50% of the miles required.

Good luck!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:12 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys - thanks for the info! Though after finding out that SIA use RR Trent engines on their A380's I'm seriously considering another airline.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys - thanks for the info! Though after finding out that SIA use RR Trent engines on their A380's I'm seriously considering another airline.
Just as a guide...friend of mine upgraded to business from MEL to LHR...all on the premium aircraft (A380, 777ER). Cost him 110k KF miles one way - scandalous!

And as Centurion mentioned...for that privilege he had to buy a more expensive fare than the cheapest available.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:15 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by bcworld
Just as a guide...friend of mine upgraded to business from MEL to LHR...all on the premium aircraft (A380, 777ER). Cost him 110k KF miles one way - scandalous!

And as Centurion mentioned...for that privilege he had to buy a more expensive fare than the cheapest available.
They quoted me 80,000 for a full upgrade and 22,000 for a standard upgrade SYD to MAN - dont even know what the difference is and I am presuming thats one way although I did tell the calculator it was a return trip. I am hoping I can get a 777 though I think all the Sydney to Sinagpore flights are on A380's.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

They quoted me 80,000 for a full upgrade and 22,000 for a standard upgrade SYD to MAN - dont even know what the difference is and I am presuming thats one way although I did tell the calculator it was a return trip. I am hoping I can get a 777 though I think all the Sydney to Sinagpore flights are on A380's.
You want saver then if not available then standard and not full. There are three types of award with SQ.

Saver - cheapest by far but you will only find them on A330s and 747s along with the old regional aircraft.
Standard - About double the points. Availability is much better though and you can book into the A380 and 77Ws as well.
Full - This is any seat seat available award and is so ridiculous in cost that if you take one of these you need your head examined

There are two 777-200 Flights from SYD per day as it happens. Which are eligible for saver awards. SQ232 & SQ 242. However, they come with the risk of using old regional non lie flat business class, which is rubbish.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:43 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by Centurion
You want saver then if not available then standard and not full. There are three types of award with SQ.

Saver - cheapest by far but you will only find them on A330s and 747s along with the old regional aircraft.
Standard - About double the points. Availability is much better though and you can book into the A380 and 77Ws as well.
Full - This is any seat seat available award and is so ridiculous in cost that if you take one of these you need your head examined

There are two 777-200 Flights from SYD per day as it happens. Which are eligible for saver awards. SQ232 & SQ 242. However, they come with the risk of using old regional non lie flat business class, which is rubbish.
Great info mate - Thanks!

I'd better book before the price goes up eh?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:36 am
beach bum

In fact - good job I checked. They are actually quoting me 220,000 miles for a standard upgrade and 800,000 for a full! WTF!!!!!!

Which means I've only got enough for a standard upgrade one way ......

Dirty robbing baz tods.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

In fact - good job I checked. They are actually quoting me 220,000 miles for a standard upgrade and 800,000 for a full! WTF!!!!!!

Which means I've only got enough for a standard upgrade one way ......

Dirty robbing baz tods.
This is why Krisflyer is a complete waste of space these days...burn what you've got then collect elsewhere.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I've just used a load of KF miles coming back from the UK. I got charged 100,000 miles for my wife for the whole LHR-BNE trip, which was on the A380 LHR-SIN and then the A330 from SIN-BNE.

My daughter and I were back in economy for the LHR-SIN flight, and then upgraded for the SIN-BNE sector for 35,000 miles each.

As noted we have to buy flexi economy fares, but still worth it.

If you do have a bunch of KrisFlyer miles then another option is to spend them on Air New Zealand - we were looking at 25,000 miles for BNE-AKL return in Economy which isn't bad.

Agree with previous poster - it's better to do it on the phone, say the website is playing up and they'll still give you a discount.

Also agree with other posters that business class on the A330 is OK, but nowhere near as nice as on the A380.