Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Airline for infants and small children?

Which Airline for infants and small children?

Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:32 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Default Which Airline for infants and small children?

When we have to validate our visa and/or migrate we will be taking a 4/5 year old and an infant under 1.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an airline that best caters for young children.

Last year we flew with Japan Airlines, and whilst they were really helpful, we feel that the choice of "western" cuisine was rather limited and/or not "western" at all.

Anyway, our initial thought is, if we travel via the states, surely we must get "western" food all the way.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:08 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

This subject has been covered alot lately, if you do a search on airlines you will find it interesting.

However, the general feeling is Singapore Airlines are the best when it comes to children and families.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:12 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which Airline for infants and small children?

Originally posted by wandrews
When we have to validate our visa and/or migrate we will be taking a 4/5 year old and an infant under 1.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an airline that best caters for young children.

Last year we flew with Japan Airlines, and whilst they were really helpful, we feel that the choice of "western" cuisine was rather limited and/or not "western" at all.

Anyway, our initial thought is, if we travel via the states, surely we must get "western" food all the way.
Hi,

We have been over several times with kids.

The best were Singapore Airlines (both on the ground and in air) and the worst by far BA.

Ours were1 & 5 on the BA flight

No doubt others will say BA are great

PJ
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

way86 will become famous soon enoughway86 will become famous soon enough

hi
heard alot of good things about singapore airlines where kids are concernd so we will be looking at them when its out turn to go
good luck way86
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
We went to melbourne last year with lufthansa (not sure of spelling) and I would recommend them. I took our 18 month old and 5 year old. They were entertained all the way, we had a crib at the front, our eldest got a bag of goodies twice en route and all meals were very western and child friendly. Have to say we travelled there and back without a hitch. The only trouble is we had to change via vienna which was a pain but for us was worth it as the flights were very cheap about 400 adult 200 child and 70 infant. Hope this helps.
Irene
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Lostinreading is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Which Airline for infants and small children?

Not mine please!!!!....hahaha
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd deffinately say Singapore Airlines. There's plenty of entertainment available for everyone not just the kids.

It's the only airline I'll be flying with when/if we get our visa's (waiting for final nod at moment).
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by parkhigh
Hi
We went to melbourne last year with lufthansa (not sure of spelling) and I would recommend them. I took our 18 month old and 5 year old. They were entertained all the way, we had a crib at the front, our eldest got a bag of goodies twice en route and all meals were very western and child friendly. Have to say we travelled there and back without a hitch. The only trouble is we had to change via vienna which was a pain but for us was worth it as the flights were very cheap about 400 adult 200 child and 70 infant. Hope this helps.
Irene
Wow! Are those return fares?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jeff hardy

YEP We went july 21st something like that just before the kids broke up for school for 3 weeks. vienna to kl to melbourne. We booked in april so wasnt really last minute. i would go again as they were so cheap ba quantas etc were almost 3k which we couldnt afford.
something to think of anyway
irene
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by parkhigh
YEP We went july 21st something like that just before the kids broke up for school for 3 weeks. vienna to kl to melbourne. We booked in april so wasnt really last minute. i would go again as they were so cheap ba quantas etc were almost 3k which we couldnt afford.
something to think of anyway
irene
Certainly worth storing away in the little grey cells! Thanks.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jeff hardy

Hi just thought of something else too when i looked for a flight i got those details and then played the flight companies off each other e.g got the same flight with different prices for each of us. I kept getting them to match and then went back to the other took about a day to sort but i saved heaps. good luck
irene
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:33 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

My vote is for Singapore Airlines too - very helpful in lots of ways. Flew once with small children on BA, but that was Club Class - steerage might be less child-friendly. Qantas are not bad, as a rule.

It's luck, up to a point, because it depends on the crew that you happen to get, but I've never had a bad experience with Singapore Airlines in any way. (Might be famous last words, of course.) They wouldn't be so good, though, if someone is allergic to nuts...

I shouldn't recommend flying via the US - it's further, for one thing, and no matter what airline you fly with you now have to clear US immigration, even if you are literally just transiting through the airport. Standing in a US immigration queue with two small children just so that you can tell the immigration officer that you're going to be in the USA for 90 minutes isn't my idea of fun.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:12 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

One that gets to your destination is always good

A few of these and the kids will sleep all the way

Siren's better half
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with Qantas last year, but its a shared flight -

LHR - Bangkok - with Qantas ( good service / food / kiddie stuff ),

then:

Bangkok - SYD - with BA ( poor food / service / etc )

even so its only 24 hours and I have to say that our nippers were brilliant all the way through.

To be perfectly honest, so long as ours had me to sprawl all over and a good supply of crayons / paper / stickers etc they were fine - its what you make it.

Going this yr with cathay and will let you know how we get on in 8 wks time.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:48 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

We have had to change our plans recently and as a result hubby and our 8 year old will be flying to Perth on the 9th of Decenber and I will follow 6 days later with our 20 month old. We are flying with Emirates and they have arranged a greet and assist service for check in, transfers and baggage claim. They have also pre booked our seats for us (eventhough Ryan is under 2 we can't pre book a sky cot because we have bought him his own seat).
I haven't tried this type of service before but it sounds good.

A friend of mine travels to Dubai on average about 9 times a month (sometimes with his wife and small children). He has tried lots of diffferent companies but he raves about Emirates and won't fly with anyone else.

Will post my findings when I get back.

ACE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.