Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AIRFARES - Extra baggage allowance?

AIRFARES - Extra baggage allowance?

Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:28 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light
Post AIRFARES - Extra baggage allowance?

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while so hi to everyone who know me

Its now my turn to book the flights, I made a phone call to singapore airlines and got diddly quat help, so thought I would turn to here and get some advice.

Right I need the extra baggage allowance (dont we all) so how do I go about getting it? IF someone has been successfull in getting the extra allowance could they talk me through how they did this and who to contact (email address if possible) or do I go through the booking agent.

Also I even have a telephone interview for a job.....NO MORE 60+ hours in the uk...I hope.

Cheers

Justin
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIRFARES - Extra baggage allowance?

Can't tell you how to get it (apart from asking?!) but once they say yes make sure you've got it in writing, preferably on your tickets, so there can't be any arguing at the airport. Good luck with it!

(I know it varies between airlines, and also you get more flying via the US, if you can be flexible?)
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:12 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

We booked online with singapore airways but i phoned them first (number on website) they told me that as long as you are flying direct and as long as your passport has the visa in stating 'holder entitled to enter Australia indefinitely' then there wont be any problems, however i insisted they answer the e.mail i had previously sent again from the singapore air website asking for confirmation of the extra allowance before we bought our tickets, the lady said she wouldnt as there was no need but half an hour later we got the e.mail stating extra allowance!!! nothing to do with me saying i want it before we purchase of course!!!!

Nev

Last edited by redlion; Apr 6th 2007 at 5:39 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 5:02 pm
Loving the lifestyle !

paula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant futurepaula&lee has a brilliant future

I tried to book with singapore airlines direct but couldn't as wouldn't accept my debit card so i booked online with aus travel only £20 extra, I asked about the 40kg allowance and i have had to scan them copies of passports and visa so when tickets are iss'd i will have 40kg printed on each ticket.

You also get reasurance of speaking to someone if you need to.

Hope that helps

Paula
Old Apr 6th 2007, 6:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eljustino
Hello all,

Its now my turn to book the flights, I made a phone call to singapore airlines and got diddly quat help, so thought I would turn to here and get some advice.

Right I need the extra baggage allowance (dont we all) so how do I go about getting it? IF someone has been successfull in getting the extra allowance could they talk me through how they did this and who to contact (email address if possible) or do I go through the booking agent.

Also I even have a telephone interview for a job.....NO MORE 60+ hours in the uk...I hope.

Cheers

Justin
Fly via the USA for an automatic minimum of 46kg per person. Air New Zealand, United and Qantas/BA all fly this route.

Buzzy
Old Apr 6th 2007, 7:54 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eljustino
Hello all,

Cheers

Justin
If you e-mail them, they reply promptly with confirmation that you are allowed extra baggage allowance, providing you fit their criteria and tell you to print off the e-mail to take to the check-in desk. Just wished they flew from Birmingham too!!!! Good Luck!!! C x
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:10 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Fly via the USA for an automatic minimum of 46kg per person. Air New Zealand, United and Qantas/BA all fly this route.

Buzzy
but does it make for a longer flight?

Kim
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:34 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher

Kim
And does it work out more expensive too?? C x
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Kim

Only by a couple of hours. It's well worth it for the guaranteed expanded baggage allowance.

S
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:08 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Only by a couple of hours. It's well worth it for the guaranteed expanded baggage allowance.

S
Thanks for that, and the price? more or the same?

Kim
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:11 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, and the price? more or the same?

Kim
I flew with United last year, and in terms of price there was very little in it compared with the asian carriers.

S
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:32 pm

I flew with United last year, and in terms of price there was very little in it compared with the asian carriers.

S
so how long a stop over in the states and I am deaf and travelling on my own and tend to panic on public transport as I can't hear the announcements so how easy is it in terms of finding where to go etc

Kim
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:41 pm
has lost The Game

so how long a stop over in the states and I am deaf and travelling on my own and tend to panic on public transport as I can't hear the announcements so how easy is it in terms of finding where to go etc

Kim

It was about 5 hours when I went last year. San Francisco Airport isn't the most exciting place in the world, but there are plenty of restaurants and bars there to make it a reasonable stay. There is a monorail thing that can take you into the city if you have time, though I could never be bothered.

When you land, you have to clear immigration and customs, and are free to leave the airport. The only drawback with this is that you have to collect your baggage and then move it to the transit conveyor, but it's all well signed. Then that's the last you see of it until Sydney or wherever.

There are big arrival and departure boards in the main concourse, and it's easy to find when your connecting flight will be leaving. Then simply pass through to security (maybe leave a bit of extra time for this, as they are quite thorough) and you're on the other side waiting for your flight. There are only a handful of gates at SF, so finding the right one is easy.

The added bonus for you is that you won't be able to hear the awful security advisory that they play every other minute!

S
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

hi iv just arrived in cairns and used singapore airlines.We also stayed over in singapore for 3 days and still got the 40kgs baggage which to us was still enough,got the baggage checked through to cairns so had no excess baggage to pay with qantas,everything was very easy and singapore airlines were great as usual stayed in traders and upgraded to traders club at a cost of 80$ about 30 pounds per night which included late check out 6pm free beer for 2 hours in evening with canapes , breakfast ,also free wifi in lounge had a great time looking out of the window at the pool and blue skys it worth it
any other info i greatly help

tony chef
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:31 pm

It was about 5 hours when I went last year. San Francisco Airport isn't the most exciting place in the world, but there are plenty of restaurants and bars there to make it a reasonable stay. There is a monorail thing that can take you into the city if you have time, though I could never be bothered.

When you land, you have to clear immigration and customs, and are free to leave the airport. The only drawback with this is that you have to collect your baggage and then move it to the transit conveyor, but it's all well signed. Then that's the last you see of it until Sydney or wherever.

There are big arrival and departure boards in the main concourse, and it's easy to find when your connecting flight will be leaving. Then simply pass through to security (maybe leave a bit of extra time for this, as they are quite thorough) and you're on the other side waiting for your flight. There are only a handful of gates at SF, so finding the right one is easy.

The added bonus for you is that you won't be able to hear the awful security advisory that they play every other minute!

S
Thanks a lot that's a great help

Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.