Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

air conditioning question

air conditioning question

Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default air conditioning question

Hi,

Which is the best system I ave been advised by some people that daikin is the best? Units rather than ducted is better for controlling each rooms temperature ?

Anyone had it installed and knows it all

C x
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Default Re: air conditioning question

I work as a airconditioning engineer and would without doubt say Daikin is the best money can buy.
Ducted systems are good but you need to make sure you have easy access to the indoor filter so you can pull it out and run it under the tap every 6 months or so.

Chris.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My Hubs an air con technician and he fitted Daikin units in each room in our new build. They've been in 18 months with no probs at all and they are very quiet! They're not cheap but well worth the extra $$$.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steandleigh
My Hubs an air con technician and he fitted Daikin units in each room in our new build. They've been in 18 months with no probs at all and they are very quiet! They're not cheap but well worth the extra $$$.
When we moved over we were told that reverse cycle ducted air con was better. Are the ones you are talking about the wall mounted versions. In the rental we have ducted reverse cycle and it is rather noisy. At night we've ended up putting it on continuous because the loud clunk and start up wakes the kids but that obviously is more costly.

In our new place we will have to get air con. We need to heat about 7/8 rooms and I haven't got a clue where to start looking and what systems. What basic things should we look out for?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

PoppetUK
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:56 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Which is the best system I ave been advised by some people that daikin is the best? Units rather than ducted is better for controlling each rooms temperature ?

C x
Daikin is definitely the best... Ducted is a good allround solution but doesn't offer individual room control... Splits/Multi-splits will give you control of individual rooms but can look intrusive IMO...

Bulkhead multi-splits is the way to go... Expensive but nicely tucked away, unobtrusive, and individual room control...

http://www.daikin.com.au/products.asp?sid=89
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, that is why I went for wall mounted as I have a wee baby who will need her room to be a bit warmer than the Siberia we will have in our bedroom in summer. i have had a quote for Daikin and thank you for your advice.

C x
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Reverse cycle or "heat pumps" as there otherwise known are available in any series of airconditioning, wall mounts/cassettes/ducted/package etc.

the loud clunk your talking about is most likely the compressor starting up, this is common on most old units, though not all. Most new units are a quieter now but you could go for an inverter system, this means the compressor slowly ramps up speed to pump the refrigerant round instead of an instant "bang" full speed which makes the compressor kick abit and struggle.

If you want differ temps in each of your rooms you need a evaporator unit in each room, or if you want the ground floor say 22oc all round and upstairs 20oc all round you can just fit 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs and duct it round each floor.

As for your individual controlled 7 - 8 room, only options i see are

1 - a VRV/VRF unit = very expensive but very good
2 - a multi split, means 1 outdoor condenser feeding X amount of various
indoor units where you specify them. = smaller (VRV)bit pricey but
very good
3 - 1 condenser and 1 evaporator (split system) to each room - (messy &
expensive)

REMEMBER - Heat pumps have more controls/parts etc on them so theres more to go wrong and sometimes more expensive to repair when they do!

Chris.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris,

We are looking at replacing our old ducted system which died a couple of weeks ago - 3 companies have suggested non-inverter Daikin units, but today I've had someone over who has suggested an inverter system (again Daikin). He says that they are the way to go, and long term are more energy & therefore more cost efficient. Would this be right?

Nice to get honest advice from someone for a change! Thanks!

Trax
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:25 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

How much do 3 phase units save compared to 1 phase ?

Originally Posted by chris96
Reverse cycle or "heat pumps" as there otherwise known are available in any series of airconditioning, wall mounts/cassettes/ducted/package etc.

the loud clunk your talking about is most likely the compressor starting up, this is common on most old units, though not all. Most new units are a quieter now but you could go for an inverter system, this means the compressor slowly ramps up speed to pump the refrigerant round instead of an instant "bang" full speed which makes the compressor kick abit and struggle.

If you want differ temps in each of your rooms you need a evaporator unit in each room, or if you want the ground floor say 22oc all round and upstairs 20oc all round you can just fit 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs and duct it round each floor.

As for your individual controlled 7 - 8 room, only options i see are

1 - a VRV/VRF unit = very expensive but very good
2 - a multi split, means 1 outdoor condenser feeding X amount of various
indoor units where you specify them. = smaller (VRV)bit pricey but
very good
3 - 1 condenser and 1 evaporator (split system) to each room - (messy &
expensive)

REMEMBER - Heat pumps have more controls/parts etc on them so theres more to go wrong and sometimes more expensive to repair when they do!

Chris.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Inverters are the way to go, not sure about australia but in the uk you can claim cash back from the goverment for installing inverter systems.

direct systems are cheaper then inverters, and single phase is cheaper the 3 phase, although depending on what KW you go for normally over 10(ish) will require 3 phase, but 10-12kw is a big unit for a lare heatload.

All the domestic inverters are single phase.

Chris.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris96
Inverters are the way to go, not sure about australia but in the uk you can claim cash back from the goverment for installing inverter systems.

direct systems are cheaper then inverters, and single phase is cheaper the 3 phase, although depending on what KW you go for normally over 10(ish) will require 3 phase, but 10-12kw is a big unit for a lare heatload.

All the domestic inverters are single phase.

Chris.
Hi chris ,can you trust what it says on the box ie 5kw will heat 25sq yd room or do they under value the square yardage so you buy a bigger unit ?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Chris for the advice

Trax
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

C x
Hi Kevin here, Debs husband.
I have been in oz for 4 years and have been involved in the air-conditioning since stepping of the plane.With the BBC On the GET A NEW LIFE SHOW.

I started as a project manager with the planning and installation of all types of air conditioning both domestic & commercial. I then got into sales and now sales & Installations manager, I have sold $1.4m worth of a/c in 18 months.
Having installed Ducted in my first house and now living in a house with Hi Wall systems,ducted is the way to go, it is by far a better investment and is a quieter System.

Ducted Systems,
Inverters Vs Non Inverters both can be single or three phase, single phase inverters are the biggest seller with the main brand being FUJITSU, I do sell Daikin Units but belive that they are not the best but are the most expensive, Daikin only give 1 Years warranty on commercial applications where most of the other brands i sell give 5 years. all units have a 5 year domestic warranty. my company also gives a 5 year warranty on the install. Ducted systems can also have individual room temp controllers.

Hi-wall systems again both inverter and non inverters.biggest seller MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES Inverters. They have some great features.other good units are PANASONIC.FUJITSU,and DAIKIN
the danger in Hi wall systems is after buying 4 units to do 4 rooms. A ducted system can be the same cost and A/C the entire House. Get the room or Rooms size correctly to ensure you get the right size unit.
I am based on the sunshine coast and if i can be of any help please PM me.
kevin.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:47 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kevin

I'm now in the process of getting quotes for ducted air con and if you or your company supply and fit down here - Redland Bay, could you PM and I'll reply with details, would really appreciate your expertise.

Cheers
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

I've found Mitsi heavey industries to be of poor quality, abit like LG, and unreliable, I've been to units with no end of problems.
I've found the mitsi electric to be a very good unit, the non inverter MSHGA60VB wall mount heat pump is a top unit for the money.

I fitted one of the heavy industries unit about 6 months ago and i could'nt beleive upon installation i had to cut the PCB board in half myself to link a hard wire controller to it as they come set up for infrared.

As for sizing the unit, to correctly work out the heat load you need the dimentions of the room, how many windows, which direction the sun rises (through windows?) etc.
There are heat load programs on the internet if you google search.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.