Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Con help anyone?

Air Con help anyone?

Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:20 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Con help anyone?

Ok, got an Argent split in the bedroom that has a mind of it's own.

It basically switches itself off and on randomly ...

I say random as sometimes you switch it on, and it works for an hour or so, then starts beeping away and switching itself off and on. Other times it does this beeping switching from the off ...

Filters are as clean as they come new!

Any advice most welcome ...
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Con help anyone?

Google it
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:24 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have a mains switch outside, near the compressor?

If so, switch off, leave for fifteen minutes and switch back on.

OR, is there a reset switch on the remote? The sort of thing you need something small and pointy to press it with?

OR, have you been playing with the timer settings?

OR, it's knackered.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 9th 2013 at 4:27 am.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:28 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

maybe something is interfering with the remote control sensor - try covering it up with tape and see. Also check the unit outside is working correctly and not stalled...

One final thing is to check your timers - make sure all on and off timers are cancelled and there is no sleep timer set. Give the unit a reboot but cutting power completely at the isolator and leaving for a few minutes.

Failing that not much else you can do - will have to call them or get someone out.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Google it
Most helpful! ...

Your reply is as much use as a chocolate teapot, so why bother Mr Nige?

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Does it have a mains switch outside, near the compressor?

If so, switch off, leave for fifteen minutes and switch back on.

OR, is there a reset switch on the remote? The sort of thing you need something small and pointy to press it with?

OR, have you been playing with the timer settings?

OR, it's knackered.
Originally Posted by mark213
maybe something is interfering with the remote control sensor - try covering it up with tape and see. Also check the unit outside is working correctly and not stalled...

One final thing is to check your timers - make sure all on and off timers are cancelled and there is no sleep timer set. Give the unit a reboot but cutting power completely at the isolator and leaving for a few minutes.

Failing that not much else you can do - will have to call them or get someone out.
Yeah there's a mains switch outside and when it's in stupid mode switching off and on it's the ONLY way to switch it off!

So the mains switch sits in the off position all the time as another thing it does is it will switch itself on for no reason, so it stays off and on when we attempt to use it.

The remote is very basic and no timers set. I'll go check if it's got a reset button, but personally think it's one of the units.

Outside unit works ok from what I can tell (fan spins)

It could've been put in when house was built so am guessing 10 - 11 years old, maybe seen better days.

Brand is Aget or sommit like that, can't find much on them on Google at all ...
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:43 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it set to a specific temp, so it is regulating itself? Like climate control in a car?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rasen78
Is it set to a specific temp, so it is regulating itself? Like climate control in a car?
It goes down to 18C, and not sure how high as 26C in this room is cool enough. I obv prefer 18C, but go as high as poss as I'm an Electricity Hitler ...

Once it goes crazy mode, no matter what I set it to will stop it. I can have it on anything from 18C - 26C and it'll happen, heat, cool (only use this setting, but will flick around when it's goin off on one), dry, whatever but with no set time from switched on to the fault happening ...

The bit that gets me is how if I leave the mains switch on by mistake, all of a sudden it goes into stupid mode switching on and off and THEN, I realise I've left the mains switch on. Nothing apart from any circuit board (if any in there) is being used I wouldn't of thought.

I've been advised to replace it with a Panasonic or Fujitsu 2.4 or 2.5kw which I can get for $750 odd from Energex with a redemption.

Might be the way to go if I get nowhere with this unit.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
It goes down to 18C, and not sure how high as 26C in this room is cool enough. I obv prefer 18C, but go as high as poss as I'm an Electricity Hitler ...

Once it goes crazy mode, no matter what I set it to will stop it. I can have it on anything from 18C - 26C and it'll happen, heat, cool (only use this setting, but will flick around when it's goin off on one), dry, whatever but with no set time from switched on to the fault happening ...

The bit that gets me is how if I leave the mains switch on by mistake, all of a sudden it goes into stupid mode switching on and off and THEN, I realise I've left the mains switch on. Nothing apart from any circuit board (if any in there) is being used I wouldn't of thought.

I've been advised to replace it with a Panasonic or Fujitsu 2.4 or 2.5kw which I can get for $750 odd from Energex with a redemption.

Having itnrunning at 18 will bugger it mate
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Could be something simple like a faulty capacitor on control board or connections between indoor and outdoor unit - can you find a make and model number - or do you have a manual for it?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:07 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Normally the beeps, and the flashing lights for the on/off , and timer indicates the nature of fault. i.e for MHI http://www.orionair.co.uk/mitsubishi%20support.htm , but I can't find one for argent. Likely to be buggered main board or compressor. Expect to be spending your xmas money.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by eddie007
Having itnrunning at 18 will bugger it mate
Oh for sure. We've been in this house through current and last summer. Last summer we used both the air cons once I think. This yeah has been a lot hotter and they're getting used daily or every other day a bit.

The one I've got in the lounge (same brand but a lot bigger) is the business! I whack it on at lowest 16C for literally 2 - 3 mins and it's done the job, then I step up to eventually 28 and even 30C in the 'cool' mode and it's costing 1/4 to run (climate meter) than when at 16C. It's not super cool at 28C, but a LOT cooler than without it on ... If left on will do 3/4 of the house and the bedroom unit does the other 1/4, but a hot bedroom at the mo as temp aint goin below 30C indoors without air con.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Could be something simple like a faulty capacitor on control board or connections between indoor and outdoor unit - can you find a make and model number - or do you have a manual for it?
Make 'looks' like (only see a logo on front) Aget, but after a Google the closest I can find is Argent I think. 'Aget' & 'Air con' brings back nothing ?!?

Originally Posted by datamile
Normally the beeps, and the flashing lights for the on/off , and timer indicates the nature of fault. i.e for MHI http://www.orionair.co.uk/mitsubishi%20support.htm , but I can't find one for argent. Likely to be buggered main board or compressor. Expect to be spending your xmas money.
Yeah have resigned to the fact that It'll be getting replaced, but it's just that when it works ok (will still get random 1 - 4 hours worth here and there) it does the job perfectly, it's just unreliable.

I have a decent understanding of electrics so will kill it at the mains switch and take apart, look for anything that looks iffy and go from there for now as skint and can't replace yet.

Thanks for the replies ...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:51 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Make 'looks' like (only see a logo on front) Aget, but after a Google the closest I can find is Argent I think. 'Aget' & 'Air con' brings back nothing ?!?
It's Ager Air Con - google will bring back results on that.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dreamy
It's Ager Air Con - google will bring back results on that.
Thanks for that ...

I did try 'age air con' in case it found it without last letter, but as you can imagine it returned all sorts! ...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Ok have the unit on now and was gonna upload some vid clips of both units, but they don't show anything apart from the fan spins outside, and the fan on the head unit spins.

I did just notice that both of these copper pipes are very cold, possibly freezing and there's some condensation on both. It IS currently 37C outside tho!

I have this unit set to 24C now and gonna see how long till it starts beeping. Has been ok for a short while now tho without any probs ...

Hmmmm, time will tell as both units are on now as it's stinking hot inside without em, see how it goes! ...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:44 am
Account Closed

AGHHHHHHHH!!! .... ****it! ... it's off on the wonk again! ...

Ok, gonna pull apart tonight when cooler and if nothing jumps out, I'll throw a new one on the never never as this is just stupid the temps at the mo ...

Any advice on a good deal anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.