Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aiming for Melbourne!

Aiming for Melbourne!

Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

saffymouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aiming for Melbourne!

Hi everyone , just thought I'd have a scout around the ex-pats site and introduce myself. I'm planning to emigrate to Melbourne with my husband and young son, plus the baby that I am currently "growing" in early 2012. It's a very scary prospect but after spending nearly a month in Melbs at the beginning of the year we're sure it'd be the right thing for us. We're hoping for a better standard of living and therefore a better quality of life for our young family.

We're very lucky in that my hubby has many friends and familiy members in melbourne so we at least have a social network already in place, but I feel guilt ridden over leaving my Mum behind. She's so angry & upset about our plans that it's best to avoid the "A" word. She is adamant that she won't even be visiting. Great. So, it's been a difficult decision, but one which I hope will pay dividends.

I'm a qualified nurse so am going to be sending off my forms to register with the Australian Board of Nurses as soon as I've got the $400 I need to do it. Once that's done we can crack on with visas. We've decided to opt for a permanent visa as a) we're determined to make this work, and b) I want to be able to work part-time, something I couldn't do with just a work permit. I took a look round The Royal Melbourne Hospital when I was on holiday and they seemed like a friendly bunch - in fact it was an ex-pat of 6 yrs who showed me round & he said it was the best thing he'd ever done!

So, now that I've said "Hi" to you guys it's even more official! Expect me to be bombarding you with questions about everything as our plan begins to take fruition...

Saff xxx
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aiming for Melbourne!

Hi Saff

Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saffymouse
Hi everyone , just thought I'd have a scout around the ex-pats site and introduce myself. I'm planning to emigrate to Melbourne with my husband and young son, plus the baby that I am currently "growing" in early 2012. It's a very scary prospect but after spending nearly a month in Melbs at the beginning of the year we're sure it'd be the right thing for us. We're hoping for a better standard of living and therefore a better quality of life for our young family.

We're very lucky in that my hubby has many friends and familiy members in melbourne so we at least have a social network already in place, but I feel guilt ridden over leaving my Mum behind. She's so angry & upset about our plans that it's best to avoid the "A" word. She is adamant that she won't even be visiting. Great. So, it's been a difficult decision, but one which I hope will pay dividends.

I'm a qualified nurse so am going to be sending off my forms to register with the Australian Board of Nurses as soon as I've got the $400 I need to do it. Once that's done we can crack on with visas. We've decided to opt for a permanent visa as a) we're determined to make this work, and b) I want to be able to work part-time, something I couldn't do with just a work permit. I took a look round The Royal Melbourne Hospital when I was on holiday and they seemed like a friendly bunch - in fact it was an ex-pat of 6 yrs who showed me round & he said it was the best thing he'd ever done!

So, now that I've said "Hi" to you guys it's even more official! Expect me to be bombarding you with questions about everything as our plan begins to take fruition...

Saff xxx
There are lots of similar stories on this website. Lots of relatives make emigrants feel guilty about emigrating.

If you do a search you'll find lots of other threads on this subject with some answers.

BB
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I can empathise with your family situation. I was nearly physically sick when I told my parents about the impending move - to be fair they took it better than expected but I think the reality of it is really still sinking in - for all of us.

We are off to Melbourne too sometime before next summer hopefully!

Wish you all well with your visas etc. and as long as you and your husband feel what you are doing is the right thing for your family, then unfortunately everyone, your mum included, will just have to accept that - however hard it may be.

Angela
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

Hey Saff,

I'm aiming for Melbourne with my OH too. Good luck to you and your family, I hope that before you leave your mum comes around to at least accepting your plans, I'm lucky in that mine are chuffed to bits for me (- HIS folks aren't as accepting tho).

Best wishes x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:33 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne:-

Advantages: Good access to arts, shows, etc. Good public transport (the tram system is great and it works!). Port Philip Bay and the Mornington Peninsular. Shopping (for the stuff they don't sell in Target and KMart).

Disadvantages: Housing affordability. Rush hour traffic on the freeways/tollways. The weather.

Personally I've never considered Melbourne as a place to live, but love visiting the city.