Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ahead or Behind - Australian Schools

Ahead or Behind - Australian Schools

Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahead or Behind - Australian Schools

Originally Posted by spalen
But by age 16 - its a trivial gap - it all balances out ;-)

Upon reflection, giving Aussies confidence to work abroad and a (supposed) low level of education can have dire consequences as below....

RENAE Lawrence, one of nine Australians facing a possible death penalty on heroin-trafficking charges in Bali, said today that she "would do it again".
Ms Lawrence, one of four Australians caught at Bali airport in April with drugs strapped to their bodies while waiting for a flight to Australia, spoke today after Indonesian prosecutors announced the quartet would all face a trial.

"If I was in the same position, yeah, I'd do it again," Ms Lawrence, from Wallsend near Newcastle in New South Wales, said at the Bali prosecutors office.

"If I was in the same position, yeah, I'd do it again," Jeez!! how dumb
Yes, but she only had drugs strapped to her body. British (supposed) Asians strapping bombs to themselfs and blowing up trains and buses - even with the (supposed) high level of UK education, would they do it again? I would say yes. But I guess thats another story. Lets keep it on subject hey.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:20 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RReed
Hi Spalen, I was one of 3 out of 30 in my degree to get a first class. My dad felt it necessary to point out that my first was equivalent to a 2.1 10 years ago (thanks dad). But, seriously, a lot of my year got 2.1.

My BSc Hons did not include any original research. Here in oz, you are expected to have undertaken research to get an Hons. So, I am having to do a 'bridging' research course before I can do a phd. Perhaps this indicates that their standards are higher than the uk? Don't know because I don't have enough experience of the ed system over here.
Rachel
Hi Rachel,
Just to add to your comments. I was the only one in my BSC hons Computing degree (2004) to get a 2:1 (67.7) there was 1 1st (very very cleaver Malaysian girl), 1 3rd and all the rest were low 2:2s. We had to produce a 12-18,000 word dissertation based on our own research and design which attributed 40% of the 3rd year grade. My sister did a BSC hons in Information Technology 11 years ago and she feels that my degree was much more demanding than hers so maybe the level of difficulty and the quality of the degree varies from uni to uni rather than then and now.

BTW I reckon anyone that can get a 1st is pretty special-nice one Rachel

ACE
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi Rachel,
Just to add to your comments. I was the only one in my BSC hons Computing degree (2004) to get a 2:1 (67.7) there was 1 1st (very very cleaver Malaysian girl), 1 3rd and all the rest were low 2:2s. We had to produce a 12-18,000 word dissertation based on our own research and design which attributed 40% of the 3rd year grade. My sister did a BSC hons in Information Technology 11 years ago and she feels that my degree was much more demanding than hers so maybe the level of difficulty and the quality of the degree varies from uni to uni rather than then and now.

ACE
Thanks Ace
Considering I 'failed' in school, I'm proud of my degree - and worked bloody hard to get it. I also had placements in midwifery alongside the degree work = very intensive 3 years with no student holidays. I don't think I am clever, just if I am interested in something I am very motivated.

Unfortunately, my degree does not count for much in midwifery practice or pay over here. They are bringing the direct entry midwifery degree to Queensland in 2008 - my plan is to get involved in setting it up and lecturing. Change things from the ground up.

Rachel
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Yes, but she only had drugs strapped to her body. British (supposed) Asians strapping bombs to themselfs and blowing up trains and buses - even with the (supposed) high level of UK education, would they do it again? I would say yes.

Umm, what about last weeks latest terror threat video, where western nations were warned of more attacks, the suspect is an aussie kid.

The 'suspect' I stress that as nobodies proved it, however hes a sunshine coast boy raised with an elite private education, best of church schools and sunny, surfing lifestyle, son of a lovely and wealthy coast family, brought up in one of the most idylic parts of australia, and certainly the last place on the plantet you would think would breed terrorists.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Umm, what about last weeks latest terror threat video, where western nations were warned of more attacks, the suspect is an aussie kid.

The 'suspect' I stress that as nobodies proved it, however hes a sunshine coast boy raised with an elite private education, best of church schools and sunny, surfing lifestyle, son of a lovely and wealthy coast family, brought up in one of the most idylic parts of australia, and certainly the last place on the plantet you would think would breed terrorists.
Some info on that "suspect':
A masked man with an Australian accent who threatened terrorist attacks against the West on Arab television is most likely aged 18 to 30 and is a second-generation migrant, according to forensic linguist Dr Georgina Heydon.

Dr Heydon, a lecturer at Monash University, today said the man's speech suggested his parents came from a non-English speaking background, but it was not possible to say where in Australia he had lived.

Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some info on that "suspect':
Federal police thought he was enough of a 'suspect' to pee off all the neighbours by conducting an 'interview' at the family residence tho.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
The "wheels on the bus" incident was at an expensive private school (one they won't be going to for much longer)
Could you PM me with which one you are talking about if it's not too much trouble? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:27 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by jad n rich

He was normal until he joined to army and served in East Timor where he witnessed autrocities which caused his problems.

Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi Rachel,

ACE
ACE did you do your degree at Essex?

Claire
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:41 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
ACE did you do your degree at Essex?

Claire
Yes, I was in the first graduating class from the Southend campus. How about you Claire did you do a degree at Essex Uni?

ACE
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:57 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RReed
Thanks Ace
Considering I 'failed' in school, I'm proud of my degree - and worked bloody hard to get it. I also had placements in midwifery alongside the degree work = very intensive 3 years with no student holidays. I don't think I am clever, just if I am interested in something I am very motivated.

Unfortunately, my degree does not count for much in midwifery practice or pay over here. They are bringing the direct entry midwifery degree to Queensland in 2008 - my plan is to get involved in setting it up and lecturing. Change things from the ground up.

Rachel
I know what you mean, I wasn't that interested in school but I really enjoyed my degree so much so that I carried on whilst pregnant with my second child through my 2nd year. I gave birth in the Easter hols, went back to full time classes 10 days later and sat my 2nd year exams 3 weeks after that. It was really tough but I was adamant that I would finish what I started and graduate before my 40th birthday.

How exciting for you, getting in right at the beginning would be great. I really hope your plans work out.

Good Luck
ACE