Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

agent or not agent

agent or not agent

Old Feb 7th 2003, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default agent or not agent

what is the feeling on wether to use an agent or top attempt to do it all yourself
Old Feb 7th 2003, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

We done it ourselves, found that it was quite straight forward and they phoned us directly to ask any question,s rather than to a agent then back to you.

Good luck

Sue
Old Feb 7th 2003, 12:09 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: agent or not agent

Originally posted by danjon16
what is the feeling on wether to use an agent or top attempt to do it all yourself
If you have the time to do a lot of background work then do it yourself. Otherwise use an agent.

It's not just a queston of filling in a few forms you've got to know what Certified Copies are, send originals of other documents, not copies. etc...

I did it myself but I was able to spend hours surfing the web at work doing "research" a bit like PB..

Also it depends on the visa you want to apply for
Old Feb 7th 2003, 1:00 pm
del
Forum Regular

del is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on your presonal circumstances. I decided to use an agent because:

1. I needed to get assessed via ACS(RPL) - a commonly acknowledged time-consuming and tricky affair

2. From the time I decided to apply for RPL, I had 6 months until my 35th Birthday, at which point I would have lost 5 points making my total 110 instead of the required 115.

Because of the above 2 factors, I could not afford to foul up my application (both ACS and DIMIA) with incomplete forms, incorrect documentation or missed items. So for me it was no contest, I had to use an agent or risk not going at all (I'm conveniently ignoring the 5 possible extra points by investing $AU100,000).

Assess your situation. If your application: is not time critical; you have a reasonable amount of spare time; have no objections to doing ALOT of research in order to fill all forms in correctly and provide all supporting documentary evidence; or simply do not/cannot afford to pay for the services of an agent, then do it yourself.

Personally I'm glad that I chose to use an agent, but then again I suppose I must acknowledge that I was in a fortunate enough position to be able to afford one (just!)

Cheers
Del
Old Feb 7th 2003, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your answers

i'm applying for skilled independent as a sales and marketing manager, i have a lot of time i could spend researching, i'm 27 and have the qualifications and experience

just sending for an assessment now

i will give it a bit more thought on using a

n agent or not

cheers
Old Feb 7th 2003, 2:27 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

If you decide to use an agent, take the time to choose the right one. As many people on here I'm sure will tell you, using the wrong agent can be more disastrous than trying to apply yourself.

Sarah

"not bitter honest!"