Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Agent or no agent

Agent or no agent

Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:29 pm
Here Today Gone SOON

welshthing is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Agent or no agent

Hi there just had a assessment with a visa agent, and had a positive out come to this. I now have to have my skills assessed and don`t know if i should use a emigration agent or not?. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Steve
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:42 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agent or no agent

Originally Posted by welshthing
Hi there just had a assessment with a visa agent, and had a positive out come to this. I now have to have my skills assessed and don`t know if i should use a emigration agent or not?. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Steve
G'day Steve.

Tell us what you do and which type of visa you intend trying for mate.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

cakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant future

Steve
hi, as long as you think your app will be simple you will have a better chance of passing, however if there are complications in your app then advise to use agent!

i am a pastry chef, did everything myself and had no problems. i would point out that read all docs well with regards to what you need to do. also make sure you list what declarations you need for TRA & visa, for you and partner! you will probably need 2 or 3 copies of some docs for each declaration ( TRA, Visa, Partner - marriage cert etc). Also i found the local magistrates the cheapest at £8 per declaration, one dec had 25 plus pieces of paper.

good luck
simon
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:56 pm
Here Today Gone SOON

Originally Posted by Bix
G'day Steve.

Tell us what you do and which type of visa you intend trying for mate.
G`day Bix Thanx for the reply my trade is as an Electro plater and i am applying on a skilled family sponsored visa. My main concern about the application is that as an electro plater which is not a recognised trade, i have to rely on record of my training in this trade. This trade is on the list of occupations.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We decided to use an agent mainly for the piece of mind and that could answer all our questions.

Alot of people do it all themselves especially if it is a relatively straightforward application.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

H&C&H is an unknown quantity at this point

We were just flabbergasted by the cost of an agent - the MIA stall at the Government Expo in Manchester last week said that we can expect to pay between £500 and £2000!!! Is this how much other people have paid? We will be going out on my partner's 136 visa and me as his wife (which by then I will be!!)

I know it gives you peace of mind and takes away the work for you - but if you've got to find all the documents you need anyway, it's not that much extra work to follow the form through and send off the forms yourself at the right times - or is it? Am iI deluding myself that my organised mind will save me money? (I do organise events for a living so I am organised, really!)
Old Oct 25th 2006, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

H&C&H is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, amazing forums like this have a fountain of information all free and at your fingertips! As long as you verify all the information first, then it 'should' all be okay. I think so anyway!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 3:49 pm
Here Today Gone SOON

Originally Posted by TeresaG
We decided to use an agent mainly for the piece of mind and that could answer all our questions.

Alot of people do it all themselves especially if it is a relatively straightforward application.
Hi thanks for the reply. It really is a mine field, could you tell me weather you used an agent based in the uk or Oz

thanks
Old Oct 25th 2006, 4:37 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the reply. It really is a mine field, could you tell me weather you used an agent based in the uk or Oz

thanks
I'd say UK but thats just my opinion, Ian Harrop is good and based in Oxford. www.ianharrop.co.uk Good Luck. C x
Old Oct 25th 2006, 4:43 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H&C&H
Also, amazing forums like this have a fountain of information all free and at your fingertips! As long as you verify all the information first, then it 'should' all be okay. I think so anyway!
hi there,

we did not use an agent for our TRA we did it with all the help from all the guys on here they are amazing, they passed me as a toolmaker.

We are not gonna use an agent for our VISA either we feel quite confident that it should all be pretty straight forward, but one thing is for sure if we do have any problems or questions the folk on here will do there upmost to assist us.

Good luck in whatever route you take to achieve your dream.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you are quite organised and prepared to invest some time in researching your visa then you should be fine on your own.
As others have said you will have to source all your own documents any way, and fill out forms any way - why pay through the nose for someone else to handle it every step of the way?
Even with an agent you will still be ringing them to chase things up and waiting while they research things for you - might as well do it yourself, I'd say!

(Did mine myself and was approved a few weeks ago!)
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:34 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
As long as you are quite organised and prepared to invest some time in researching your visa then you should be fine on your own.
As others have said you will have to source all your own documents any way, and fill out forms any way - why pay through the nose for someone else to handle it every step of the way?
Even with an agent you will still be ringing them to chase things up and waiting while they research things for you - might as well do it yourself, I'd say!

and save yourself a small fortune , so there is more for celebrating when you get it !!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:03 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

OK - here's the agent's perspective. You can prepare a visa application yourself. After all, it's only a matter of putting the right answers in the right boxes and collecting paperwork.

However, it is a legal process, much like buying a house or completing a Tax Return. You probably won't have handled such a process before, you want to get it right first time and to know you are providing information in a format and in sufficient detail that ensures you get the outcome you want.

I appreciate professional fees aren't cheap. I also appreciate some can do it themselves as they have the time to research the issues and don't have a problem with form filling, Government bureaucracy, etc - as witnessed by the comments above from those who have done it themselves.

However, for relative peace of mind in what is a life changing exercise I'd not simply write off engaging an agent - the good ones should be there to support and guide you through what is usually a very stressful time.

Best wishes to all!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:06 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

A good agent should be chasing you when you don't return documents in the required format, and shouldn't have to spend too much (if any) time researching "things" - many of us have seen most scenarios before, and if needs be have access to DIMA policy material online.

Don't think ill of all agents!

Best regards.

Originally Posted by esperanza

Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
A good agent should be chasing you when you don't return documents in the required format, and shouldn't have to spend too much (if any) time researching "things" - many of us have seen most scenarios before, and if needs be have access to DIMA policy material online.

Don't think ill of all agents!

Best regards.

I agree. I never once had to chase my agent for anything. She answered all e-mails within 12 hours (she was based in Australia) and called us from her home to tell us we had passed the TRA and got our Visa.

She also pointed out a few minor points on our TRA application that could have been the difference for us passing or failing the assessment.

We were charged 1900 GBP for their service, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay it again if I had to.

I am very organised and knew my way around the DIMA and TRA site, but it was so much easier to have an expert on board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.