Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

agent or go it alone!!

agent or go it alone!!

Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

big bad jack will become famous soon enoughbig bad jack will become famous soon enough
Default agent or go it alone!!

Hi all

I cant decide what to do, the family are wanting to start the application process but cant decide if we should use an agent or apply ourselves I know using an agent is more convenient but the £1500 which we could be saving would be alot better in my pocket, any thoughts on what is best to do? and how difficult is it to apply ourselves?

Many Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Default Re: agent or go it alone!!

If you think your application will be more complicated or you have specific concerns then an agent may be useful.
Some will give you free advice via email.

We are not using an agent as we are going for a sponsored 457 visa but we are thinking of using a "meet and greet" service when we arrive.

Others with more experince might be more helpful to you

Jackie
xxxxx
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

big bad jack will become famous soon enoughbig bad jack will become famous soon enough

thanks jackie iv had my cv checked out by an agent and they said it was perfect im applying for a 136 visa so fingers crossed I wont have to many hiccups but you never know what is around the corner!!!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:29 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a straight forward application and you don't mind doing your research and your paperwork then do it yourself. Any complications use an agent.

Ours was straight forward 136 and we did it ourselves
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Jojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really nice

Hi There,

I would agree, if you have a straight forward application and can lay your hands on all the evidence and documents you need then do it yourself. There is always someone happy to help out if you get stuck! We applied for a 136 (motor mechanic) and found it pretty straight forward. We were granted our visas in June this year and saved ourselves some cash which we are putting towards our rekkie in Feb 08.

Good Luck with it all

Jo
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jojo11
Hi There,

I would agree, if you have a straight forward application and can lay your hands on all the evidence and documents you need then do it yourself. There is always someone happy to help out if you get stuck! We applied for a 136 (motor mechanic) and found it pretty straight forward. We were granted our visas in June this year and saved ourselves some cash which we are putting towards our rekkie in Feb 08.

Good Luck with it all

Jo
Hi,

I agree with the above, we did it ourselves. The TRA was harder than the Visa application and Sparky Hub wouldn't have passed first time if it hadn't have been for a poster on here

If you do your investigations well enough you should been fine. That said, as above posts pointed out...if it isn't straightforward, maybe best to get someone in.

Agents are expensive though.

All the best Paul

Last edited by Sparky wife; Aug 21st 2007 at 5:39 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by big bad jack
Hi all

I cant decide what to do, the family are wanting to start the application process but cant decide if we should use an agent or apply ourselves I know using an agent is more convenient but the £1500 which we could be saving would be alot better in my pocket, any thoughts on what is best to do? and how difficult is it to apply ourselves?

Many Thanks

Paul

You must of read my mind, i was going to post the exact same question.

I think I may need help doing the TRA for my Chef husband (he has no formal qualifications but plenty of experience) an agent said he'd charge £600 to help me, I might do that then do the Visa Myself because Ive been told its straighforward once you get your case worker.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your advice