Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aged care help for my MIL?

Aged care help for my MIL?

Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:35 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Question Aged care help for my MIL?

I'll try and make this short...and spare you all

Mother in Law (88) has been granted Contributory Parent Visa (174?), has sold her house (but sale is on 'hold' for the moment) and was due to be here at the end of November....BUT She had a bad fall and was hospitalised .... She is now home with a 'care plan' in place but is still in quite a bad way

She will be living with us initially and moving into a purpose built Granny Flat attached to our home a.s.a.p She hopes to fly as soon as she is able and has until March to validate her Visa

My question is: How do I start the process of getting a similar care plan in place over here ready for when she arrives? ie Doctors home Visits/physiotherapy/wound dressing/help with bathing etc I want to ensure that she is well looked after from day one and am not sure that just little old me will be enough to offer the right kind of care. We really wanted her here with us all but am wondering if this is still the right thing to do tbh

Any one know where to start with this please?

Jan
Old Nov 9th 2013, 1:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aged care help for my MIL?

Originally Posted by Jan4kids

Mother in Law (88) has been granted Contributory Parent Visa (174?), has sold her house (but sale is on 'hold' for the moment) and was due to be here at the end of November....BUT She had a bad fall and was hospitalised .... She is now home with a 'care plan' in place but is still in quite a bad way

She will be living with us initially and moving into a purpose built Granny Flat attached to our home a.s.a.p She hopes to fly as soon as she is able and has until March to validate her Visa

My question is: How do I start the process of getting a similar care plan in place over here ready for when she arrives? ie Doctors home Visits/physiotherapy/wound dressing/help with bathing etc I want to ensure that she is well looked after from day one and am not sure that just little old me will be enough to offer the right kind of care. We really wanted her here with us all but am wondering if this is still the right thing to do tbh

Jan
Hi Jan, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum-in-law. I'm not up on the conditions of the various contributory parent visas so hopefully someone else can help you with your mil's eligibility for care services and what, if any, impact her deteriorated health has on her visa. As you're probably aware, aged care services fall under the Department of Health so you'd need to investigate if she is immediately eligible for this type of care.

No matter how much you love someone, there's no getting around the fact that caring for a frail, aged relative is a big undertaking. Even if your mil is eligible for some assistance with day to day living, you'd still need to provide her with a lot of support and companionship.

Something else that you may need to think about is if your mil's health deteriorates further to the point where she needs to be admitted into permanent care. I'm not only thinking of her eligibility for this and financial impact on you as her sponsor, but also if this would be what she wanted?

It's a big decision for you, your partner and your mum-in-law. Is she going to be happier staying where she is, in familiar surroundings with the care she needs, is she going to be able to access the support she needs in Oz, and how is caring for a frail-aged dependent going to impact on you and your family. I really feel for you all in this very difficult situation.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 9th 2013 at 1:59 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with SoS this may be too difficult and expensive a process. I would think, too, that as she hasn't validated her visa but has had a significant change in her health she will be obliged to inform DIAC or whatever they are called and the potential cost to the tax payer reassessed. She'd probably be better waiting until her health has recovered.

So sorry that this has come out of the blue for you - caring for a frail aged parent is absolutely no picnic even when they have ready access to comprehensive services!
Old Nov 9th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Just on your initial query, you may like to check out this organisation.
http://www.feroscare.com.au/

and this one:

http://carersqld.asn.au/about-us/history

We have a similar scenario here in WA, so just figured you may have similar organisations in Qld.

Good luck (and health) to you all.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Jan
Having a care package put in place on discharge from hospital at that kind of age is routine, well it was when I was working in the community in the uk... Things have changed in the last 6 years.... don't jump to conclusions ...

It may just be she needs a little extra support until she regains her confidence... It may not be a significant change in health status which will prevent her coming....

HOWEVER... Having an elderly relative come to live with you at that age is a major undertaking and DOES require serious thought.... No one wants to think about their loved ones crumbling health wise, but it's a fact. They do.

My late grandmother lived an extremely full and active life... 6 months before she had her stroke and died (aged 96) she was in Canada having the time of her life... She had had as series of falls in her mid eighties, and fully recovered.... The week before she stroked out she was taking the workmen on the farm their morning tea and her home baked treats...as she did every day when she wasn't off traveling the world...

It doesn't always work that way...

services at home are very findable... So what it comes down to is

Does SHE want to come and spend what ever time she has left with you... Do YOU want the commitment that an elderly relative will be....
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I agree with SoS this may be too difficult and expensive a process. I would think, too, that as she hasn't validated her visa but has had a significant change in her health she will be obliged to inform DIAC or whatever they are called and the potential cost to the tax payer reassessed. She'd probably be better waiting until her health has recovered.

So sorry that this has come out of the blue for you - caring for a frail aged parent is absolutely no picnic even when they have ready access to comprehensive services!
I would echo this, she may have a problem as she has not validated the visa. Check it out with an agent first, but I think DIBP need to be informed.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Do you mean your mother-in-law has 173 CPV? If so, then this is the temporary visa, valid for 2 years and she may not be entitled to full Medicare rights. You will need to check out what she is entitled to.

If she has the 143 CPV, which is the permanent visa, she will be entitled to full Medicare rights, but I do not know how far this would cover her needs.

Whatever the case, you will need to take advice regarding her entitlements.

Please also be aware that she needs to have been here on a permanent visa for 2 years before she is entitled to the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 8:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Do you mean your mother-in-law has 173 CPV? If so, then this is the temporary visa, valid for 2 years and she may not be entitled to full Medicare rights. You will need to check out what she is entitled to.
The 173 visa does give full Medicare rights.

If the visa has not been validated then DIAC would need to be informed of change in circumstances
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Not sure of the visa issues but this website is a good start for Age care services. http://www.myagedcare.gov.au/what-help-can-i-get

Please note that whether or not you think she needs it if you look at "point 3", the ACAT it is worth while getting an assesment done asap as they can take about 6 weeks so you don't want to be caught napping if your Mum needs higher care. Also look at respite services in case your Mum is not ready to live at home.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your mother's fall. I would be very wary of bringing her out here just at the moment- is she even fit enough to fly? If she has to have physio and help with bathing/dressing etc, then 24 hours in an aeroplane is going to be detrimental to her mobility, not to mention the risk of blood clots from being immobile for so long.

I would wait until she was mobile again and up to the trauma of a major upheaval like emigrating.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, the first priority should be to assess if the move to Australia is going to be a realistic option anytime soon.

Then the visa issues can be addressed. It's not clear whether the visa is a temporary or permanent contributory parent visa. Either way DIBP may need to be informed (change in health circumstances before validation) and they might wish to cancel or they might not. If it's the temporary visa, then consideration needs to be given to whether there's any impact on eligibility for the permanent visa.

And if visa is cancelled before making first entry to Australia, there may be an option to have the second instalment refunded.

I would strongly recommend working through all the visa issues with an experienced migration agent. Most agents don't have the experience level to handle something like this. George Lombard in Sydney (search forums for contact details) is one of those who could handle the details. In particular, it is essential to get professional advice before contacting the Department of Immigration.

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 11th 2013 at 3:40 am.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

Jan
Hi Jan
We have done this brought MIL here two years ago at age 83 , we had gone back to live in the UK but only stayed a year so she decided to come back here with us and lives in our house now in Sydney. She had a visa and validated it with a week to go. It has not been easy as three months later she found out she had cancer (two types) not picked up in the UK so luckily she was entitled to Medicare and received amazing treatment so is now okay although very frail, it has been a long round of medical appointments and tests but has just got the Senior Health Card which helps but as a UK pensioner often doesnt qualify for discounts. The hardest thing at her age is she has no other social contacts so is lonely as not so easy to start making friends at her age although there are plenty of activities she could go to . I would think hard and long its a very difficult change and in our case I know she probably would not be still around if she hadn't come as her symptoms were not being picked up , however she misses the UK greatly
and talks constantly of going back but I doubt her health is up to it
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:07 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-You, Thank-You everyone for you input -SO much to consider.

My MIL has the permanent contributary Visa (The one you pay for, put down a bond and we give assurance of support) and is NO way going to travel anytime soon. She wants to come and see out her years with us, is accepting of her situation but worries that she will be 'too much' for us....IMO there isn't another option...and I wish we were still in the U.K as far as this situation is concerned..but that doesn't stop me imagining all kinds of scenarios (as experienced by others above) It will be ME with her most of the time and I am worried how I will cope....hence my enquiry for help.

I am VERY aware of a lot of the down sides to this situation for her and us....but if it goes well (organised, supportive and calm) she will be better off than in a Nursing Home with no Family/friends in the U.K. The situation is very much driven by my Husband.....which is understandable. I have aired my concerns, but sensible (workable) solutions are always offered. I am just looking for guidance/ a supporting pathway to take as it is a very foreign subject for me. I just want the best for her. I don't want to claim any benefits and was planning on using the services of 'Blue Care' or similar. I had heard of ACAT assessments before though(from the lady I bought the shower chair from). I will follow up on the links you have kindly offered above, and make some enquiries to see if the Visa is affected.

Thank-You once again x

Last edited by Jan4kids; Nov 14th 2013 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Added information and waffle
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-You, Thank-You everyone for you input -SO much to consider.

My MIL has the permanent contributary Visa (The one you pay for, put down a bond and we give assurance of support) and is NO way going to travel anytime soon. She wants to come and see out her years with us, is accepting of her situation but worries that she will be 'too much' for us....IMO there isn't another option...and I wish we were still in the U.K as far as this situation is concerned..but that doesn't stop me imagining all kinds of scenarios (as experienced by others above) It will be ME with her most of the time and I am worried how I will cope....hence my enquiry for help.

I am VERY aware of a lot of the down sides to this situation for her and us....but if it goes well (organised, supportive and calm) she will be better off than in a Nursing Home with no Family/friends in the U.K. The situation is very much driven by my Husband.....which is understandable. I have aired my concerns, but sensible (workable) solutions are always offered. I am just looking for guidance/ a supporting pathway to take as it is a very foreign subject for me. I just want the best for her. I don't want to claim any benefits and was planning on using the services of 'Blue Care' or similar. I had heard of ACAT assessments before though(from the lady I bought the shower chair from). I will follow up on the links you have kindly offered above, and make some enquiries to see if the Visa is affected.

Thank-You once again x
Have you thought about going back to help her out? Might be easier in the long run!
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:22 pm
Jan4kids

Not an option Quoll , she is a tough old boot and may well go on for years yet. We have 4 kids here that are thriving, two of whom are now in High School (one whom's just started her dream Saturday job too), so don't want to disrupt all that.....which was after all out main driving force in coming here. Plus we have investments here and no guarantee of income in the U.K

She can't manage in her home (of 60 years ) anymore....stairs, large garden..ongoing maintenance etc is all a big drain on her. If she moves out, she will be heading for an old folks home or similar....not something she wants to do. She can't get out and travel like she used to...so location is probably less important than love and support. She has been here before and knows what she is coming too.

...but

having said all that we have discussed with her possible outcomes if/when she gets too frail/forgetful to manage in the attached granny flat we are building here. My Husband is more logical than emotional and I trust his thinking....I just want to get solid reliable help in place to make what is going to be a tough (at times) ride much smoother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.